Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I should probably get myself a life, but while I'm working on that could I have a conversation about Space Pirates please?

(50 Posts)
bran Fri 10-Oct-08 19:12:38

Have they finally made some more episodes of this? Over the summer I must have seen that flipping McFly episode about 15 times, but I've recently seen some that I haven't seen before.

Do you think that the female Jingle might be the lead singer of Fairground Attraction? They did Perfect recently, and usually they do a Jingles version of whatever song they're doing but Perfect sounded exactly like the original version IMO.

When I was little I wanted to look exactly like the little girl (Honk?) but blonde. I think that button-nose, cabbage patch doll look is so cute. Unfortunately I have "a face with character" (as a friend's mum said). It's probably just as well, as cute isn't such a great look by the time you're 40.

[bored emoticon]

bran Fri 10-Oct-08 19:40:43

I can't believe that there are 18 posts on a thread about a bin, but nobody wants to talk about Space Pirates. You can't even dance along to a bin with your DC.

I will talk to myself instead.

Oh bran, you're not that un-cute. In the right (low, very low) light you are nearly cute. And some people find that Sigourney- Weaver-style heavy jaw really rather sweet.

Why, thank you bran. I always suspected as much. grin

bran Fri 10-Oct-08 19:41:01

Time for some wine I think.

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 19:43:48

Arf @ you!

I rather like SP, I hated it at first but now I quite like the main guy.

And you have a lovely nose.

mabanana Fri 10-Oct-08 19:45:51

I sing along with it in embarrassing mum fashion. I love 'she comes in colours' was disproportionately disappointed when the blooming Blue Man Group was chosen.

nickytwoooohtimes Fri 10-Oct-08 19:47:42

God, I hate Space Pirates with a passion. It is sooo boring.
<whispers> I do find the pirate man quite alluring in a very weird way> blush

muggglewump Fri 10-Oct-08 19:48:35

Space Pirates is the one with the singing rats right?
DD sends me out of the room when it comes on as I sing along too loudly apparently and ruin her enjoyment of the show <hmm>

solidgoldskullonastick Fri 10-Oct-08 19:48:38

I love it too. ANd you are not the only one to have the occasional illicit fantasy about Captain DJ <squelch emoticon>.
I think it is really good for DC to be exposed to great chunks of 'proper' music and I cant help liking the fact that the BBC has made a kids show celebrating pirate radio grin.

bran Fri 10-Oct-08 19:54:18

Did anyone hear the Jingles version of Perfect? I can't find it online, but it sounded to me as though it's the same singer.

I do quite like Captain DJ's voice, but I'm afraid I can't muster up any sort of crush at all. I just don't fancy men with moustaches, or ponytails, or long thin faces.

Why thank you for the nose comment Slur. grin When I was little I used to push at the tip all the time to try and make it a snub nose, I don't think it made any difference at all.

muggglewump Fri 10-Oct-08 19:59:11

Clearly I either don't watch closely enough, or I'm banished from the room for my singing when Captain DJ is on as I have no idea who he is.

I did know who Raven was when someone told me recently she had illicit thoughts about him. I fear for her mental health!
Raven, really?
I want to kill myself even watching the show, I hate it with a passion!

bran Fri 10-Oct-08 20:04:44

LOL at you being sent out of the room muggle. grin You're the parent you know, it's your duty to sing even louder when your DC express disapproval.

DS calls me into the room when SP comes on as he's still little enough to be picked up and danced with (ie swung around the room in a dizzying and potentially reckless fashion). He tolerates respects my singing and joins in on some of the ones that have been repeated a lot.

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 20:46:40

<struts in from two minute googling>

Female jingle is Sarah Burgess, of such fame as Trixie on lazytown and stage production of dr dolittle

Zorst is/was indeed radio 1 dj Dominic Byrne, he has a 3yo daughter called xanthe and a 5yo son called finton

There have been 30 episodes made.

Couldn't be arsed to find perfect so have cosmic girl instead.

Though why one jingle is shagging the rocket I don't know, it is possibly a space fatigue issue.

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 20:48:05

who ya gonna call? grin

Sidge Fri 10-Oct-08 21:04:57

I watched SP properly for the first time today - I usually just hum along with the choons. It makes a bit more sense now!

I am quite ashamed that I like the Jingle's little ditty that they sing when they have been chosen/not chosen... I need a life too...

theSuburbanDryad Fri 10-Oct-08 21:09:46

All sing along now...

Na Na Na Na Na...

SPACE PIRATES!!

squeaver Fri 10-Oct-08 21:12:56

Oh I love SP, but dd doesn't because "it's just not as good as Carrie and David". God knows how I gave birth to such a philistine.

Actually she does like one episode - the one with the Take That song on it which she always recognises on the radio.

MrsSnorty Fri 10-Oct-08 21:13:35

Did anyone see the Jingles version of that U2 song yesterday? Can't remember title of song blush but was very funny. And yes, I heart Captain DJ too...

flimflammum Fri 10-Oct-08 21:48:16

The irritating thing about Space Pirates (well, there are others...) is that lots of the jokes must go over the heads of pre-schoolers. How is my 3yo DS supposed to know what a pirate radio station is? Hello-oh, it's not 1969 any more! And all that rubbish about the weather in space. DS just looks at it blankly, but likes the music. And is that thing supposed to be a microphone? And who exactly gets to vote on which song they want? Is it a digital press the red button thing? And I can't STAND the singing rats. I think it's a real opportunity missed for the Beeb to make a good music show for that age-group.

Hrrmph.

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 21:55:05

heh. You sound cross.

I think the jokes are stoopid and for us really. as is the music, and the totty captain dj's insightful plots.

I did used to feel like you though, it is a grower wink

Treat it as an excuse not to watch the fucking shiny show whose creators really should be made to stand in offal singing shiny happy people for punishment whilst being hit with a kipper. Give yourself a fucking shiny indeed.

muggglewump Fri 10-Oct-08 22:16:21

Bran
I allow her to send me out, I do it to her when I'm watching Home and Away informative documentaries.

mabanana Fri 10-Oct-08 22:16:59

My three year old and my seven year old love it, and the older one laughs like a drain at the jokes.

muggglewump Fri 10-Oct-08 22:22:14

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject of Kid's TV, Is anyone else totaly gutted that Gethin Jones has left Blue peter?
I found him so much hotter better a presenter than the others.
He also seemed to take his top off a lot, I found this a good thing, clearly teaching me to perve DD about the human body.

OO7 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:26:37

Can't beleive here's a thread on Space Pirates!

Was gonna start a thread along the lines of "I know we all hated it but am I the only one who now loves Space Pirates?".

I think it's great too. Ds says "no mummy don't sing" (not 4 yet). 3 songs, same theme, different genres. An introduction to TOTP style TV.

Altogether now.. "Disasterous, calamatous... wonder where it all went wrong..."

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Fri 10-Oct-08 22:26:48

oh for goodness sake flimflammum

"If you don't get it, just forget it!"

wink

OO7 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:27:18

Oh, and if you don't get it, forget it. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now