Talk

Advanced search

what was Jamie's last meal and did the kids eat it?

(52 Posts)
jasper Wed 02-Mar-05 22:03:25

I missed the last five minutes.
What a great programme.

actualisedad Wed 02-Mar-05 22:04:41

marinaded chicken and salad, and pasta with tomato sauce (with 7 vegetables in it). The kids helped make it, and all of them tried it. Most of them enjoyed it too!

Wills Wed 02-Mar-05 22:05:26

Marinated chicked green salad and pasta in tomato and 6 other veg sauce and yes it was lovely the kids ate it all - according to him... everysingle one of them

Janh Wed 02-Mar-05 22:07:04

Fantastic programme - just watched it with DSs - DS2 (a rubbish eater) admitted that he knew that he really should eat good food all the time and not mcdonalds.

Jamie is brill.

Hulababy Wed 02-Mar-05 22:08:11

I was so pleased for him and the dinner ladies that they all tried it and all ate it. And bless that little boy - so proud that he had tried salad for the first time and liked it so much he had 3 helpings

jasper Wed 02-Mar-05 22:08:18

thanks folks.
My dh is astonished at this practical use of mumsnet

snafu Wed 02-Mar-05 22:11:02

I actually had a lump in my throat by the end of this programme (and, no, it wasn't a turkey twizzler!)

Caligula Wed 02-Mar-05 22:12:28

This programme has made me make a new resolution - at least once a week, I'm going to get the kids to help me cook their dinner.

I let them help me with making bread/ cakes etc., but it just hasn't occurred to me before about dinner.

It just looks like a really good idea!

Janh Wed 02-Mar-05 22:13:13

And that bit near the end when he was talking to the "provider" (don't know name, sorry) who said ah, well, we have to give them what they want...

NO YOU DON'T! PILLOCK! GIVE THEM GOOD STUFF AND IF THAT'S ALL THERE IS THEY WILL EAT IT! IDIOT!

<<sorry>>

Hulababy Wed 02-Mar-05 22:16:56

The providers won't change unless they are made too. They will make more profit out of the junk I bet.

actualisedad Wed 02-Mar-05 22:20:51

I'd just like to say (during the ad break in Desperate Housewives) that my post below was not me, but dw...

I think Jamie's crusading heart is great, but I feel really sorry for his dw who never gets to see him (says me, surfing adictively on mn )

phatcat Wed 02-Mar-05 22:21:52

me too snafu! his passion for what he's doing is infectious. I loved the bit when he couldn't be arsed to meet Bill Clinton!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 02-Mar-05 22:24:18

thought that Bill Clinton etc were so rude. To turn up with more people than they booked then decide that they didn't want the food they'd asked for. Good on ya Jamie!

Hulababy Wed 02-Mar-05 22:27:28

MunchedTooManyMarsLady - completely agree. Good on Jamie for deciding not to meet him and sticking to it. Those trainee chefs must have felt crushed.

jasper Wed 02-Mar-05 22:44:57

actualisedad you are catching on
enjoy mumsnet

actualisedad Wed 02-Mar-05 22:47:39

Why, thank you Jasper

Caligula Wed 02-Mar-05 23:05:05

Love the way he called on them all plebs for being on a fad diet. Typical chef!

SueW Wed 02-Mar-05 23:16:16

Dd (8yo) helps in the kitchen with salads (tomato, mozz, basil) and making dressing (she loves experimenting which was SO JO tonight!). Se hangs around when I'm making roast dinner but I'm not reallt together enough to give her a job to do other than laying the table

I'm glad JO managed to get the 'northern' kids to enjoy it. Looks like TV want us to believe the Southerners are a harder bunch to crack!

tammybear Thu 03-Mar-05 20:53:18

ooo im so excited, i found the recipe for the chicken and tomato pasta that he did. ooo cant wait to try it for me and dd

Enid Thu 03-Mar-05 20:59:33

made fairy cakes yesterday with some icing and let dd1 (5) and her friend put their own icing and sprinkles on - friends mum was that her dd had 'managed' to put icing on - 'ooh you are brave' she said to me How are kids supposed to learn if you don't let them have a go in the kitchen?

GRMUM Fri 04-Mar-05 07:59:42

Tammybear is that recipe in 'jamie's dinners'?

futurity Fri 04-Mar-05 09:09:38

Wonder what the 7 veg were in the sauce?

HunkerMunker Fri 04-Mar-05 09:14:26

Is it controversial of me to wonder whether there are so many children on ritalin, etc because they actually eat crap and if their diets were sorted out, a lot of them wouldn't need the drug? (Not saying that there aren't some children who benefit vastly on it, btw).

JanH - totally agree about the 'it's what they want' cop-out - who's told them that's what they bloody want?! The big companies making the enormous profits from the cheap crap, that's who!

piffle Fri 04-Mar-05 09:57:39

I finally realised that I was right to be evangelical about food
I remember in yr 2 at his old school ds was the only kid who ate lettuce, the dinner lady said to him.
Being from NZ I naively assumed a hot dinner would be shepherds pie/pasta/bolognese/lasagne/chicken drumsticks
few veges, gravy and spuds or salad
I was HORRIFIEd when I actually saw a menu and put him straight onto packed lunches
The worst thing is so many kids get the same things for dinner, I mean in moderation the odd quick meal is fine I know but 2 x a day
Eeeks
But I never expected any kids to like asparagus
That truly is an acquired taste!!!
I'm still sniggering at the thought of inserting a twizzler up a corporate ass

marialuisa Fri 04-Mar-05 10:09:50

pasta sauce at the end of this article

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now