Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Following on from the other Friends thread, any inconsistencies in the series?

(20 Posts)
CapricaSix Sun 28-Sep-08 22:36:35

I have a few:

The first obvious one not an inconsistency but the change of actress for Carol. I much prefer the real Carol, she's lovely.

The actor who plays Phoebe's brother appears early on when Phoebe is busking "Excuse me, did i accidentally drop a condom in your case?"

In season 2 Phoebe thinks a guy in a frame is her dad
Monica: "Isn't your dad in prison?"
Phoebe: "No, that's my stepdad. My real dad left us before we were born."
But of course later in the series she meets her real dad & he talks about being a crap father and sings the song he made up to get her to sleep (to the tune of Smelly Cat grin) Maybe there's something I've forgotten though, a reference to the fact that Phoebe didn't realise he was around a bit or something?

Coupled with that, we know Phoebe's grandmother is a good liar because she tried to hide the info she had about her real dad at first, but she must be a really good liar because she talks about Phoebe's dad knocking up her mum and leaving, but in fact later on the woman (Lily) who Phoebe thinks is her real mum (i.e. her grandmother's daughter) turns out to be the close friend of her real mum who took the twins on for her. (I thought the real mum was great casting, btw.)

When Monica goes on a double "date" with Joey & Angela, thinking that Angela's date is her brother, she & Angela are chatting in the bathroom and Angela is talking about her brother and says he is so good in bed, and Monica's like, "Wow, my brother didn't even tell me when he lost his virginity!" Well, later on in the series Ross goes all maudlin on he & Carol's anniversary of their "first time", and Monica says "I thought you wouldn't remember." - Carol was Ross's one and only till Julie therefore he lost his virginity to Carol.

I also always thought it was a bit odd that Rachel was at first really possessive over Emma and refusing to go out etc, but then a few months on she goes back to work at the drop of a hat without seeming to be emotional about it at all.

god i'm such a sad geek!!! Can anyone else show themselves up as much?!

misdee Sun 28-Sep-08 22:58:44

watch the one when joeys dad has an affair. when joeys mum comes in and hits him witht he big ring, just see how many times her bag moves position on the counter.

[geek]

67Impala Mon 29-Sep-08 06:24:39

There's also the one where Monica bumps Ben's head on a beam which isn't there in later episodes.

Furball Mon 29-Sep-08 07:04:31

their apartment number changes from something like number 1 & 2 to 21 & 22 later on in the series.

Just the most obvious one of the incredible inflating/deflating Chandler, from series to series. grin

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Sep-08 09:47:55

The episode when Janice asks if any of them have ever got it on together that shows the flashbacks to almost encounters? It shows Ross finding out Carol is a lesbian at the same time that Joey moves in with Chandler and meets all of the other Friends. However, in the pilot episode when Ross is talking about them splitting up and Carol moving her things out, Joey is clearly already friends with them all and has been living with Chandler for some time.

WildThings I do enjoy the change from the end of the series where Chandler proposes to the beginning of later that day in the next series and he's lost about 30lb.

wintera Mon 29-Sep-08 10:33:40

This isn't an inconsistancy but has anyone else ever noticed that one of Chandler's fingers is really small? Like its missing the tip or something. I spotted it years ago in the first series when he had his hand on the sofa.

wintera Mon 29-Sep-08 10:40:40

So I've just googled "Matthew Perry small finger". Apparently he lost the tip when he was a samll child when his finger got trapped in a nursery door. I wonder if thats why they came up with that episode where one of his toes gets chopped off?

wintera Mon 29-Sep-08 10:41:41

I meant small child! Ooops!

Phono Mon 29-Sep-08 10:46:53

Message withdrawn

DeathByMonkey Mon 29-Sep-08 15:29:44

In one of the episodes after Chandler moves in with Monica he tidies the whole apartment and moves stuff round, and they make a huge joke about how annoyed she'd be at someone else cleaning, and now I've just seen one where Chandler hires a cleaner and Monica is really happy about it - totally inconsistent for that character IMO.

Oh dear, I really do sound like a sad obsessive don't I!blush

CapricaSix Tue 30-Sep-08 13:19:29

Oh dear I am sad, i was already aware of a few of those!

The thing about Joey only moving in when Ross found out about Carol being a lesbian is probably ok, it could have been a little while before Carol moved out, and at one point in the pilot Joey says "And you never knew she was a lesbian!" as if he had only recently known about it, (obviously it was a bit of transposition or whatever the word is, for the viewer), but I like to think of it as being evidence that he had only recently got to know them all! grin

PTA Mon 06-Oct-08 13:27:11

How about this really obscure one. Chandler wanted to book the "Swing Kings" for the wedding. Monica was blackmailed into giving up her wedding dress to get them for him but the band that actually played at the wedding were the "Jungle Swingers"!.

Pesha Sat 11-Oct-08 00:46:40

Theres also a lot of inconsistencies about chandler and rachel's history. In the first episode I don't think they know each other (can't quite remember now and its late!) and in the 'did you ever nearly...' episode where they're in the bar and Chandler fancies Rachel and then she fantasises about him in the car they obviously don't know each other. But then later in the series in flashbacks to their younger days Rachel seems to meet Chandler every thanksgiving and is there when monica chops his toe off.

God there are loads aren't there?! Too tipsy tired to remember them all now though!

Now off to find the thread I was actually looking for...

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 11-Oct-08 17:58:56

have to admit i had noticed some of these

think there was something about chandler hating/allergic to dogs

but sure there was an episode where he liked them?

RustyBear Sat 11-Oct-08 18:12:51

But Rachel was such a self-absorbed teenager she probably wouldn't have remembered Chandler, and might only have realised later when she got to know him that he was the same guy.

slayerette Sat 11-Oct-08 18:21:52

Here's my sad, watch it way too much contribution grin

In the early seasons, the guys' kitchen is v different from later on - there's a whole shelf of kitchen stuff on the left of the door as you look at it. That disappears without trace later on.

The Rachel not knowing Chandler thing has always bugged me - she snogs him in one of the flashbacks when she and Monica go to a college party.

And blush a different penguin plays Hugsie the second time he has a storyline...

TinkerBellesMum Sat 11-Oct-08 18:45:44

Joey works on the West Coast (Days of our Lives is in LA) of American whilst living on the East Coast about 2,791 mi away yet he is always around.

They always seem to have problems with events that happened before the pilot.

hecAteTheirBrains Sat 11-Oct-08 18:51:28

Oh. Dear. God.

You lot are....

well, you know the rest! wink

BCLass Sat 11-Oct-08 23:13:05

Oooh I have one.

In one of them Jack Geller says he had to marry Judy because she was pregnant.

In another his justification of them favouring Ross over Monica is that they thought Judy was 'barren' and Ross was a medical miracle or some such.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now