Talk

Advanced search

I am genuinly interested in why people are so transfixed by watching vaguely recognisable people learn to dance. Please enlighten me.

(20 Posts)
moondog Sat 20-Sep-08 21:32:47

Thanking yew.

emkana Sat 20-Sep-08 21:35:35

The costumes!

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 21:36:14

Because it beats watching deluded people butchering (already dire enough on their own) Mariah Carey songs... oh and it is dead cheesy but in a good way. Bit like the 70s.

Saturn74 Sat 20-Sep-08 21:37:51

Because I can't afford to be sunning myself on a private island instead.

moondog Sat 20-Sep-08 21:37:51

Is that the choice then Ranting? shock

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 21:41:03

Allegedly so MD, although I have to admit that I have never actually watched the 'other' programmeblush but still, you askedwink

traceybath Sat 20-Sep-08 21:41:23

Because when they're good like alesha last year its just quite magical to watch.

I hate the 'journey' word they all trot out but with some of them they do really blossom and its just nice and warm and fluffy.

Oh and last year my 3 year old DS loved it and we'd dance round the room together and then wait to get judged blush.

And I like Craig - he's funny.

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 21:43:07

I do stand by my second assertion though MD.

Cocolepew Sat 20-Sep-08 21:43:17

Oh Alesha was just wonderful envy

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 21:43:47

And of course this year Don Warrington is on it and he is fabulous.

LaVie Sat 20-Sep-08 21:56:57

Agree with traceybath, Craig is so funny and evil. Love Bruno but Arlene makes me cringe. Try to watch on skyplus so I can fast forward past Brucie [shudder]

They were a bit pants tonight but will (hopefully) get better.

Gary Rhodes should go out, he has no rhythm! Don't like whatsit off GMTV either, bit of a perv by the looks of it!

Liked Austin Healy and John Sargent.

Jodie Kidd looks like a bit of a heifer which I'm suprised about; I though with her being a model and all she would be quite graceful. Not so!

ForeverOptimistic Sat 20-Sep-08 21:58:33

I don't get it either.

moondog Sat 20-Sep-08 22:01:43

I dont understand the idea of sitting on a sofa watching other peopel do stuff while yuo just...sit. Sorry, don;t mean to be rude but it mystifies me.

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 22:03:51

Ahhh, that's because you don't sit and watch it, you have to take your tiny person by the hand and frogmarch them around the living room, whilst pretending to be a real live ballroom dancer.

Ronaldinhio Sat 20-Sep-08 22:04:20

Because of Mark Foster

Califrau Sat 20-Sep-08 22:08:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FanjolinaJolly Sat 20-Sep-08 22:10:03

Oh, I watched it just for John Sargeant tonight!!

The dcs love it.DD has SN and it is LOVELY to watch her.When she sees the dancing her face lights up and she waves her arms about to the music.I jig around with her and ds does his own brand of dancing and they both love it.It is a kind of therapy in our madhouse wink

ranting Sat 20-Sep-08 22:13:39

Actually I think Fanj may have hit the nail on the head with her post, we watch it as a family, so it's kind of like a Saturday night event and it reminds me of my childhood. When we would gather round t' telly on a Saturday evening with our cola cubes (we were a v. low brow family, can you tellgrin) and a mug horlicks and watch it together.

LaVie Sat 20-Sep-08 22:13:51

well then you obviously don't own a tv then moondog, fair enough!

But for those of us that do, it's the posh people's version of x factor wink

themoon66 Sun 21-Sep-08 00:37:12

I think people watch it because it's something we could all easily aspire to. It is achievable and within grasp.

Me and DH started jive classes last winter after being inspired by Strictly. We are good enough to get a round of applause when we dance now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now