Talk

Advanced search

DISPATCHES, WHATS IN YOUR WINE?

(12 Posts)
hifi Mon 15-Sep-08 22:06:03

i now know the ones to steer clear of , any recommendations for some none toxic ones?

she did bug me the whole way thru when she referred to Moet as mow ay, its MOETTTT.

have always been suspicious of the £7.99 down to £4.99 .is nothing trustworthy in a supermarket these days?

southeastastra Tue 16-Sep-08 11:05:13

what's in it then?

hifi Tue 16-Sep-08 11:17:01

loads of sugar and water, hydrochloric acid. basically they were saying the biggest brands, blossom hill,gallo,jacobs creek are like alcho pops.mass produced and bear little resemblance to real wine.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 11:20:29

I watched.

And all the nasty plonk,rank stuff that I'd never drink was what had all the shite in it.

Blossom Hill, Jacob's Creek, Gallo - what do you expect from all that mass-produced rubbish?

Yuk.

I've always found Moet and Veuve rank.

southeastastra Tue 16-Sep-08 11:24:52

i can't drink Blossom Hill or Jacob's Creek it's very strong and like a spirit more than wine, so that doesn't surprise me.

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 11:27:05

they're like a sore head in a bottle, SE. truly, i don't know why people by them, and i'm a winehead admittedly.

but that stuff doesn't even taste like wine, just tastes like a gutbusting glass of tannic acid.

hifi Tue 16-Sep-08 11:35:27

expat, what wines do you buy?

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 11:38:09

we have a vintner in town who sources really good stuff, hifi, and it's not that expensive.

i also follow recommendations in BBC Good Food and pick up some stuff in Marks and Spencers.

also organic wines from Waitrose if we go to Edinburgh.

but none of it is from larger vinyards and most is French.

when i lived in the US in the West many, brilliant Californian wines from smaller vinyards abounded!

i don't drink champers much, mainly because i'll only drink Billecart or Bolly and it's expensive.

shinyshoes Tue 16-Sep-08 11:40:21

I loooove wine and I'm sorry I missed this, I do drink Gallo out of all those you've listed.

I do like to spend around £8.00 for a bottle too. Is this refelective as to what is in it then?

expatinscotland Tue 16-Sep-08 11:42:20

TBH, I haven't been able to get good Gallo in the UK. It's like they just export all their shite here. You can find it in the Western part of the US, but you pay for it, even there.

hifi Tue 16-Sep-08 11:50:10

shiny, not sure if the more you pay the better it is,it wasnt clear in the programme. what they did mention is supermarets over inflate a wines price for 3 months then do a price reduction, 7.99 down to 4.99.
veuve cliquot (sp) moet and lanson were the main offenders in the chamers group, all marketing and no substance. they are also allowed to bring in grapes from any old co op to use in the above champagnes.

hifi Tue 16-Sep-08 11:51:25

this one seems ethical

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now