Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Children. What????

(23 Posts)
stroppyknickers Mon 15-Sep-08 22:05:15

OK, watched all of them and am now off to bed, Please enlighten me. What was that rubbish ending all about? PN woman did it? Kevin did it? Noone did? No motive, nothing V disappointed as seems to have ended up a big pile of poo.

Lubyloo Mon 15-Sep-08 22:07:19

I think Emily's father's girlfriend did it. I'm very disappointed too. It was a poor, cop out ending.

sallystrawberry Mon 15-Sep-08 22:08:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stroppyknickers Mon 15-Sep-08 22:09:36

Wish I'd opted out SS. Stayed up way past my bedtime. Thought girlfriend was saying sorry to baby crying in cot somewhere.

anyfucker Mon 15-Sep-08 22:11:51

stoopid weren't it

very rushed and just believable

the 1st "sham ending" where Cameron did it was probably the best one and seemed most believable

or her own mother

SlartyBartFast Mon 15-Sep-08 22:13:00

extremely annoying disappointing ending

NorthernLurker Mon 15-Sep-08 22:13:52

I saw the last ten minutes and am hugely confused! I thought her mother doing it seemed the most likely but if it was the father's girlfriend - then what did she do with the baby whilst she was doing this?

(apologies to all those who watched it properly)

stroppyknickers Mon 15-Sep-08 22:15:34

Maybe they filmed all the endings and then still had ten minutes to fill so put them all in?

EightiesChick Mon 15-Sep-08 22:15:35

Agree - very disappointing. The writer seemed to get carried away with keeping all the possible outcomes of the whodunit in play, to ridiculous levels. I can see how Cameron seems most believable, really, since we saw in this episode that he was capable of duplicity in his affair with the colleague (I had suspected this before but hadn't been quite sure).

purplemunkey Mon 15-Sep-08 22:17:52

NL - I did watch it properly and I'm just as confused as you!

I think we're supposed to conclude it was the father's girlfriend as the film ended with her crying uncontrollably - I think all the other versions were just to show us how the whole situation had messed up both families and anyone could have done it.

Or maybe not - I dont really know! I hate ambiguous endings, I think they are so pretentious - especially for an ITV drama!

stroppyknickers Mon 15-Sep-08 22:19:43

Well, I am going to check back in the morning and see if there's is any ray of light. Agree was meant to be girlfriend probably, but why? Totally mental. (Programme not girlfriend grin

SlartyBartFast Mon 15-Sep-08 22:20:15

oh but she had the barbie doll that her dad gave her, and wasnt he late for work at ? 4.30.
i reckon it was her dad which was why girlfriend was crying.

lisalou25 Mon 15-Sep-08 22:20:52

I can't believe that ending i have been looking forward to finding out who killed her all week and then it ends like that. what a waste of 3 hours of my life [hmm}

shinyshoes Mon 15-Sep-08 22:24:39

I don't think we are meant to know who did it, not for certain, we can presume.

It was definatley a cop out though

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

stroppyknickers Mon 15-Sep-08 22:24:49

OMG. Delaying bedtime now. Yes, Barbie doll is probably significant Slarty. Wd have a clue if hadn't had to finish winebox to get through the ending(s).

roisin Mon 15-Sep-08 22:28:56

I enjoyed it actually.

The Times TV Guide said this, which I found helpful:

Almost everyone in Lucy Gannon's disturbing drama was responsible in part for the death of the little girl, and so - in tonight's concluding episode - viewers are offered multiple versions of the same event.

It's an ingenious dramatic device, particularly since it doesn't matter who, specifically, was responsible. They all were. As the parents tried to organise their lives for their own convenience, the children were forced to go along with their arrangements, leaving them feeling vulnerable, isolated and unwanted, and the killing is metaphorical rather than melodramatic. Speaking on behalf of many children from broken homes, the adolescent son says: "I ruin everything for everyone, and I haven't even done anything."

stroppyknickers Mon 15-Sep-08 22:31:04

Is it a modern day 'An Inspector Calls' then? Faaaaaaaaaarrr too deep for me then. I kept forgetting KW wasn't a policeman. blush

SlartyBartFast Mon 15-Sep-08 22:32:45

oooer,
but still a cop out, and farcical towards the end.

jojostar Mon 15-Sep-08 22:36:11

total bollocks

Koshka Tue 16-Sep-08 07:12:53

although the police man did say that the only person with an alibi was the baby, who was with the girlfriend's mum.

i really felt for the son. he was just so lonely.

stroppyknickers Tue 16-Sep-08 07:35:54

I thought the son was meant to be gay? That's what my RL: friend told me. Also, I thought he was going into the girls room to be safe from something (KW?). I must let this go now...

Koshka Tue 16-Sep-08 07:42:25

I think the son went into her room because he didn't want to be on his own.

purplemunkey Tue 16-Sep-08 08:58:38

Thanks for that roisin - I get that and I suppose it makes sense.

Like I say though, that's a bit pretentious for an ITV drama - and up until the last episode everything was playing out as a standard drama/whodunnit so I wasn't expecting such a metaphorical ending.

I definately got that everyone had some part to play in the childrens' misery - both Emily and Jack, I felt especially sorry for Jack as he just kept getting shoved back and forth! But I don't think that was the best way to end the drama.

Oh well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now