Talk

Advanced search

my name is sabine tues at 10 on more 4

(11 Posts)
bubblagirl Mon 15-Sep-08 09:14:40

is anybody going to watch this saw this advertisxed and thought it would be worth watching i saw it was directors autistic sister who was wrongly diagnosed over medicated and institutionalised {sp?} for 5 years

looks really interesting shows her life over 20 years

Marina Tue 16-Sep-08 20:13:11

Oh, thanks for reminder bubblagirl.
Sabine is the younger sister of French actress Sandrine Bonnaire.

Her story is terribly sad

Elle s'appelle Sabine

MrsMuddle Tue 16-Sep-08 22:29:17

Bumping in case anyone wants to watch this. It is on More4 now.

Would like to discuss but MN is soooooo slow tonight that I think I'll have to switch off.

MrsMuddle Tue 16-Sep-08 23:11:33

Anyone watching this?

doodlebops Tue 16-Sep-08 23:50:20

ive just finished watching but missed the part when sabine went into institutionalised care, what happened? what a moving story.

twinsetandpearls Tue 16-Sep-08 23:55:45

I am so annoyed I missed this, is it repeated again at all.

doodlebops Wed 17-Sep-08 00:02:32

i didnt realise it was on until i was flicking through the channels, i hope someone at work watched it and they can tell me what happened, ive worked with people who had grown up in institutions for 30+ years and you just think what they could have done with their lives had they been given the opportunity

bubblagirl Wed 17-Sep-08 10:17:11

well i watched it and couldnt help but feel so sad for the lost beautiful intelligent girl

its a shame more wasnt known about her condition then as the affects of being over medicated was so obvious and severe to how she is now

i had to chuckle about her continous need for a break reminds me of me when im working lol

didn't show her in institute her sister was just telling you that she was hitting out confused and feeling abandoned when siblings moved and she took it out on her mum so was hospitilised she came out and sis put her in apartmnent with 2 nurses who then thought best she went back to hospital and thats where she stayed for next 5 years

it strikes me how no one could help her she was so bright as a youngster and no different to how my ds will probably be at that age clearly eye contact was off and socially she stood out but to not leave the home again for 13 odd years is surely another factor to her behaviour her frustration

im glad we get more help for our dc now days to help them socially but sadly her story isnt the only one like it back then many more also lived like this for being different

was defiantly well worth watching and a comlete eye opener poor her and her poor family

Marina Wed 17-Sep-08 14:09:08

I thought it was a film filled with love, I'm so glad I watched it.
My aunt was institutionalised at 23 when she developed postnatal psychosis following the birth of her second child. I reckon she was also undiagnosed bipolar from what mum tells me. Her dcs were left in the loving care of their wonderful dad, which is just as well, as she was given a lobotomy and an aggressive drug regime and stayed there the rest of her life sad sad sad. I never knew her. My mum will still not talk about her freely even though they were so close as children and she was a lovely person before her illness closed in on her.
I wish with all my heart it hadn't turned out like that. I wish we had film of her in happier times like the Bonnaire family did. I was so happy that for Sabine at least she ended up in such a warm care setting and still had her sisters very much in her life

pagwatch Wed 17-Sep-08 14:10:25

DAMMIT

missed it angry

Marina Wed 17-Sep-08 14:11:14

More4 will repeat it I am sure
It might also be released on DVD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now