Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The 9/11 Faker

(21 Posts)
BookLuver Sat 06-Sep-08 16:21:30

Has anyone heard of a lady called Tania Head? Apparently she was injured in one of the twin towers. Her fiancee was in the other tower and wasn't quite so lucky. She set up support groups etc and gained loads of publicity. In the eyes of the members she became a heroine and even had 'fans'....then it was revealed she wasn't even there.!!! She was thousands of miles away in Spain at the time and it was all one big lie.

I cant wait to watch the show to see what would drive someone to do something like that.

Anyone else heard of this?

TrinityRhino Sat 06-Sep-08 16:22:13

saw the advert
when is it on

horrid woman

wintera Sat 06-Sep-08 21:48:07

And yet, some of the clips I've seen on the tele show lots of people saying that even though she was a fake, she still did a lot of good things for a victims families etc.. It looks like a fascinating documentary!

TwoIfBySea Sat 06-Sep-08 21:51:04

For the same reasons as you, I'll be watching BookLuver, to see why someone would do that.

But there are people out there who lie about being involved in a tragedy. Perhaps it is attention or something like that?

MerlinsBeard Sat 06-Sep-08 21:54:40

its on on thursday at 9pm on channel 4 iirc

Its not that uncommon, especially online, for people to have a persona that gives them attention. I have seen it a number of times in chatrooms i used to go in.

tiredemma Sat 06-Sep-08 21:55:55

ive seen it on here!

filthymindedvixen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:58:55

poor woman, how sad and bizarre. But it seems to be a vcommon phenomena for people to want ot be 'part' of tragic/dramatic events.

MerlinsBeard Sat 06-Sep-08 22:00:28

i was going to say that TE but didn't want to sound accusing!

BookLuver Sun 07-Sep-08 15:25:32

I do agree with TwoIfBySea that she did do a lot for the amilies in her ow was. She secured a lot of support from famous people and even put her own money into the support group. What I don't understand is why she had to lie. She wormed her way into a group of people that were trying to deal wiith their horrific loss - that same group of people still managed to find the time to support her in her 'loss'! That is unforgiveable in my eyes.

BookLuver Thu 11-Sep-08 18:17:39

Is anyone going to watch this tonight?

Fllllight Thu 11-Sep-08 18:40:06

Is it a bit like Munchausen's?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 11-Sep-08 18:43:08

I cannot bring myself to watch that. I would just be so angry at the decite. There are so many families affected by what happened, and she spun these lies for so long.
She even told a family of somebody who died helping people out of the WTC that she was the last person he sucessfully helped out, (he died in the WTC) and I read their reaction in a magazine a few weeks ago.
What brings somebody to lie to that extent?

I did watch the 9/11 hotel last night, that was amazing.

BookLuver Thu 11-Sep-08 19:21:45

I agree it's really upsetting to see it but I think there's a part of me that needs to know why someone would do that.

I have heard others relating it to Munchausen's - it would be interesting to find out if that's the case. However, on another note - I know she dissappeared at the time it all became public. I don't know if she every 'reappeared'.

wintera Fri 12-Sep-08 19:37:59

Did people watch this in the end? I thought it was fascinating but she wasn't really a hateful figure. I thought she was just a very sad individual in the end. You would have to be a really sad, lonely person to do something like that. She just thrived on the attention and the glory. I pitied her actually.

dinny Fri 12-Sep-08 19:39:06

when is it repeated, anyone know?

twinsetandpearls Fri 12-Sep-08 19:40:51

I have recorded it to watch over the weekend

wintera Fri 12-Sep-08 19:51:47

Its definitely on 4 on demand if you want to try on there. Either on your pc or on your tele if you have on demand on your digi box. Here is a link -

www.channel4.com/4od/index.html

dinny Fri 12-Sep-08 20:09:52

oooh, thanks, Wintera, didn't realise 4 had this too

LaVieEnRose Fri 12-Sep-08 20:24:33

her whole family are a bunch of wrong uns it seems. A few of them done for fraud in spain a few years ago hmm

TwoIfBySea Sat 13-Sep-08 00:16:40

There was a woman a few years ago who attached herself to the Dunblane tragedy despite not having lost a child or even being related to anyone who lost a child. She was in all the papers and got lots of publicity. I think this attention thing is the same thing - wanting to attach themselves to a tragedy for whatever reason.

The programme didn't answer what those reasons would be though which was a disappointment.

I thought Tania quite a sad and pathetic individual but when you realise what those other survivors went through, and the parents of the red bandanna man, it is hard to feel any pity for her.

FairLadyRantALot Sun 14-Sep-08 12:04:35

I watched a bit of it last night....had mixed feelings....I felt sad that she had this need to do it....but she did also have done some "good"...however, it is just very wrong, especially to the real survivors or the families that lost someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now