Talk

Advanced search

Janeite and other Austen buffs...

(58 Posts)
Hassled Wed 03-Sep-08 20:39:38

Lost in Austen is on ITV at 9 tonight. Seems to be Life on Mars except that someone swaps with/becomes Elizabeth Bennett. I'm poised, ready and waiting, to mock but it might be strangely good.

wessexgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 20:45:33

Ooh, thanks for reminder. I've been meaning to watch this.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 20:47:01

Thanks for the reminder, heard about it on Front Row last week, DH is out so worth a look I think...

Carmenere Wed 03-Sep-08 21:35:29

it is good I think, an excellent bit of midweek fluff. i fancy the dadblush

Hassled Wed 03-Sep-08 21:53:38

Phew - I was fretting that I wasn't just a middle-aged saddo, but a Janeite middle-aged saddo re the father .

Darcy is just a bit too smouldering - Bingley and the sisters are spot on. I'm really enjoying it - hope next week is Elizabeth in Hammersmith.

wintera Wed 03-Sep-08 22:05:19

Hey, this is actually very good isn't it? I really thought it was going to be crap but its surprised me.

janeite Fri 05-Sep-08 22:38:32

Sorry Hassled, I've only just seen this but thank you so much for thinking of me.

I saw the second half of it, so was a bit bemused to say the least!

I didn't like the main actress much; I thought she was both quite stiff but also too wobbly-headed at the same time - I realise that sentence makes absolutely no sense but it is the best way I can explain myself right now; am tired!

I really liked Miss Bingley - she both looked and sounded exactly right and the extra words (ie non Austen) words she was given sat very well I thought. Bingley - yes, I could believe in him as a sort of bumbling fool (though I don't think that's how he comes across in the book) but I didn't like his teeth!

I liked Charlotte Lucas and her obvious jealousy of "Miss Price" so will be interested to see how they do the Mr Collins stuff with her.

Hated hated hated Mrs Bennet; almost as much as I hated Alison Steadman!

I know it was hideously cheesy but I really liked it when Bingley found her with the fag on outside the ball and gasped "You even breath fire" - daft but it amused me!

janeite Sun 07-Sep-08 15:31:22

Bump - did anybody else see it?

emsiewill Sun 07-Sep-08 15:33:24

Just finished watching it now, enjoyed it more than I expected. Dd1 (11) also enjoyed it & although it will give her a different idea of the book, I think / hope it will pique her interest in it.

LittleBella Sun 07-Sep-08 15:34:17

Is it repeated, it sounds fun

MrsWeasley Sun 07-Sep-08 15:34:39

I LOL at the breathing fire line grin
I enjoyed it and found myself smiling alot whilst I was watching it hmm

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 15:43:12

was v apprehensive but surprisingly enjoyed it. am reserving judgement until have seen more though. do we get to see elizabeh in 2008?

Bronze Sun 07-Sep-08 15:47:49

I thought it was cheese but also fun watching.

wintera Sun 07-Sep-08 16:34:43

Re - DisasterArea

Yes I said the same thing to my Hubby. I would actually be more interested to see Lizzie Bennett in the modern world. I hope they show some of that!

Hassled Sun 07-Sep-08 21:33:55

It was very positively reviewed in the Observer today - I really really hope we get to see Elizabeth in Hammersmith.
Agree that Mrs Bennett was wrong - too clever and fiesty.

wintera Wed 10-Sep-08 14:45:16

I've seen a few reviews saying that Alex Kingston is far too young to play Mrs Bennett, which I think is a huge compliment to her as she is 45. As the Bennett sisters are all supposed to be about ages 15 - 23 then it is definitely possible for her to be their Mum! And no reviews have said the same about Hugh Bonneville playing the Father, and he is actually a few months younger than Alex Kingston!

BabiesEverywhere Wed 10-Sep-08 20:34:44

Bump for part 2 on in 25 minutes

wintera Wed 10-Sep-08 22:03:51

Oh no!!!! Jane married Mr Collins!! Arrgghh! shock

LostGirl Thu 11-Sep-08 07:48:59

Anyone know if it is repeated, I missed it last night.

kiwibella Thu 11-Sep-08 10:56:12

I've asked that too lostgirl... I have had a look through the ITV listings and haven't spotted it. I hope so!!

tonton Thu 11-Sep-08 11:11:33

Have to say I laughed out loud at least twice last night. it's very silly but I do like Jemina Rooper. And how ridiculous to think Alex Kingstonm is too young to play Mrs beenet. Jabe has just got married and must be , what, 19? So by the time she's 40 she'd easily have a 20 year old.

southeastastra Thu 11-Sep-08 12:57:53

\link{http://www.itv.com/catchup/itv catch up} the bit about the vole spotting made me lmao grin

southeastastra Thu 11-Sep-08 12:58:24

itv catch up the bit about the vole spotting made me lmao grin

bran Thu 11-Sep-08 13:24:18

I'm enjoying this much more than I thought I would. It's as though the naughtiest girl in English class has managed to replace everyone's copy of P&P with a darker, funnier version. I particularly like the twist on the personalities of the characters, Mrs Bennett being hard-nosed and cunning and Mr Collins who is usually depicted as an annoying figure of fun but essentially harmless has been transformed into someone very creepy and scary. I didn't think Jane was pretty enough, but then she never is IMO, except in the 1980s BBC version. Mr Wickham is spot on in this version IMO, I've never seen a TV version before that matched my mental image of what he was really like.

If I had a chance to re-write P&P I would make Mary marry Mr Collins (although not the creepy Mr Collins in this version), I always felt that they deserved each other and might even grow to like each other.

colette Thu 11-Sep-08 13:33:26

Creepy Mr Collins sniffing his two fingers was hilarious - he was so slimy .shock
I think it's great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now