Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone see The Wright Stuff this morning and that woman talking about Freebirth?

(18 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 03-Sep-08 16:22:21

Im sorry but I was amazed at how stupid she was.
She freebirthed at home and had a perfect 2 hour labour and yes thats fine if thats what you want.
But to go on TV and express your view that women can have that labour as long as they have positive mental attitude was bizarre!

As if all those people who experience traumatic labours do so because of their negative mental attitide, and the fact that she never even thought about the consequences because she was so positive was bizarre.
Also the argument that women have been having babies alone for hundreds of years, oh please yes they have but hundreds of women and children died during childbirth too, do we really want to go back to that. How about we dont bother with anaesthetic because 'they never used it years ago'.

Sorry but I think if the help is there, free and available then you take it. I think homebirth is a great idea (not for me though) even if you want to do it all yourself but to have a MW there just in case is IMHO imperative.

Discuss smile

I didn't see it, but can very easily imagine the flip side....

Homebirth scandal woman and baby die while attempting dangerous new trend of 'freebirthing'.

Not down to pma imo, just luck.

I could have easily 'freebirthed' my dd, my ds would almost have certainly killed me, no difference in my attitude.

Carmenere Wed 03-Sep-08 16:31:59

She was dim.

RTKangaMummy Thu 04-Sep-08 21:51:17

she was sooooooooooooooooo stupid

how the mw sitting next to her didn't hit her i don't know

"I knew I could do it cos I had positive thoughts" yeah right you are stupid

TheBlonde Thu 04-Sep-08 21:58:47

was she one of the people from the C4 docu?

RTKangaMummy Thu 04-Sep-08 22:35:34

I don't think so

she was from Sussex with a very cute little girl of about 7 months

soooooo stupid though

mosschops30 Fri 05-Sep-08 19:24:26

yes she was mahoosively stupid, naive and disrespectful to other women.

3andnomore Fri 05-Sep-08 21:08:31

glad I didn't watch it....because I probably would have gotten very pissed off, me thinks...

I have nothing against freebirth....but positive thoughts will NOT ensure a good outcome....grrrr.....believe me, when I was transferred from HOme to Hospital where I ended up with an Emergency C-section it had nothing to do with myself having negative thought....it never occured to me, that the Birth of my ys could go anything but not to plan and that the Homebirth would not happen....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mosschops30 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:12:37

yes the MW sat next to her was none-to-impressed with the suggestion that negative thought = poor labour.

Silly cow angry I wanted to ring in but always worried someone will recognise its me ranting on the tv grin

lulumama Fri 05-Sep-08 21:13:44

i didn;t see it , but saw the freebirth documentary a while ago. it was frightening

i am extremely pro natural birth and woman centred care and going with your instincts and what your body is telling you to do

i am pro women;s rights and feelings being respected and listened to and adhered to where feasible

i am pro womens' rights to choose where they will give birth and how

but i cannot get my head around freebirthing, particularly when the woman declines antenatal care.

women historically have not given birth alone, but with other women/elders/midwife types

and a lot of them died as did their babies

positive attitude is great, but being unrealistic is not, when there are two lives at stake

however, you need to look at why women feel tehy need to freebirth, and on the whole it is due to trauma or fear from previous births or medical experiences.

i don;t thikn it as simple as dippy hippy types... but it needs exploring for sure

also, must be careful to not confuse freebirth with BBA. where a midwife or paramedic is called but baby arrives before medical help

mosschops30 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:15:56

yes thats totally different.

I believe in all that stuff but like i said in OP, even if you just have a MW there and she makes the tea with no input unless problems arise at least have that as a safeguard.

This woman was a first time mum so no previous horrors of her own to put her off I dont think.

RTKangaMummy Fri 05-Sep-08 21:26:15

Yes deffo different if birth happens before MW or ambulance gets there

This woman said she had positive thoughts and that meant Nothing will go wrong like cord around baby neck or haemoraging {sp}

Wot would happen if you were her friend and decided to follow her example and it went wrong for you sad

I hope that never happens sad

I agree that to have a MW or doula but for her to be in kitchen making tea if you want to go it alone then ok

I deffo agree that in history mums did it with an experierenced women from village ie olden day MW or doulas

lulumama Fri 05-Sep-08 21:28:34

or placenta previa or transverse lie or something else that could be picked up with antenatal care.. the freebirthing without any antenatal care is really scary.

there must be a balance in there, between total medicalisation and intervention and freebirthing.

sometimes you have to work really hard to find it, but it is better than the alternative

cupsoftea Fri 05-Sep-08 21:30:55

Doesn't the baby/s have rights to medical care? It can be in danger because a mum wants to squat in a field by herself to have a good birth experience - madness.

RTKangaMummy Fri 05-Sep-08 21:40:50

also would she want medical care for herself or baby if something did go wrong?

sad

Heated Fri 05-Sep-08 22:01:44

DM article a few weeks back. I don't feel as horrified as other ppl, probably because I had such a botched time of it with my 1st with a supposedly 'safe' NHS delivery. I can weirdly see the reasons to go this route. But Byam-Cook raised some persuasive objections that the article doesn't give any weight to.

hotpotmama Fri 05-Sep-08 22:09:14

I saw it and thought she was very selfish. Why put your baby's life in danger just because you didn't bond with the midwife? Crazy woman.

She was very naive to think that a positive attitude would stop things going wrong.

3andnomore Fri 05-Sep-08 22:21:19

Heated, an online friend of mine went down the freebirthing route with her 2. Baby....after her 1. Birth was very traumatic and ended up with Emergency C-section after lots of other intervention, which probably would have been unnecessary had the m/w actually done their job....it went well for her...don't think I would have had the guts , especially after a bad first experience...
tbh, if ys was my first child he would be an only child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now