Talk

Advanced search

Question about Digital TV recorders?

(14 Posts)
3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 14:59:16

are they any good?
After just finding out that sky+ has the best offers only to new customers...well...am looking into other options.
We do have a DVD recorder..but it is a mare to find the right discs and also, have had it that we recorded a programme, but thanks to lots of ads inbetween the disc would be finished before movie/programme was and well...that is no good...

so are Digital Recorders any good ( I am right in assuming that there is no need for a disc or anything...right, lol....

Do they work in conjunction with sky?
Have seen some on E-bay, but one is a freeview digital recorder...does it mean it would only "tape" freeview channels?

So, please...tell me all you know, please

RubyRioja Fri 29-Aug-08 15:02:07

We hve a freeview digi recroder. It is fab. Cost £100 about 2 years ago. far superior to dvds, but miles cheaper than sky. One of our best purchases. Has 30 hrs recording time but I think they have about 3 weeks now.

go for it!

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 15:04:53

well, we possibly would stay with sky...but would you be able to recor sky programmes, do you know?

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 15:05:59

oh ds has a freeview box in his room, and he can receive hardly any of teh freeview channels...but not sure if that is poor quality of equipment...

bubblerock Fri 29-Aug-08 15:08:55

I bought one similar to This (from the same company) and it's great. We don't have Sky and you can only tape freeview channels, but we find it's enough for us.

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Aug-08 15:15:37

Not sure about Sky compatibility, but I would recommend a Humax if you want a digi recorder.

Here but other cheaper models available too.

It has a twin tuner so you can watch/record 2 programmes at once (3 under certain conditions). I think the cheapest model has about 80hrs recording time, the model I linked has 200hrs. Freeview compatible, series link, pause live TV etc etc

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 16:44:46

thanks for the replys

I am just a bit worried that we won't receive many freeview channels....like I said es has a cheapo box and well, he can receive about 10 channels instead of teh 40+ he theoretical should receive...anyone know if there would be a way to ensure you get all the channels you should be getting?

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 16:49:53

I just checked out Freeview for this area, and at the moment we would only receive some channels, the full service would only come with the switchover in 2011 hmm that is a bit shitey for us, than, sigh!

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Aug-08 16:54:19

Put your postcode in here

If that shows you can get good coverage, but you still find it is bad then there are a few possibilities.

1. Set-top box needs software/channel update. This is usually quick to do, instructions should be in manual or via on-screen setup display.

2. Set-top box is old and no-longer compatible. Some recent changes mean that a few models of box are now obsolete.

3. Aerial supplying set-top box is insufficient. Either replace/upgrade rooftop aerial, get a better indoor aerial or try a signal booster.

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 17:02:52

that is where I checked and that is where it says that at the moment only a few channels are available..
just looked into freesat....but I would loose all the channel FIVES....argh...can't have that...me without Home&Away...that would be unthinkable...how sad am I...

PortAndLemon Fri 29-Aug-08 17:05:33

You can record Sky, so long as you set the right input channel on the digital recorder and have Sky tuned to the right channel (we did this all the time before we got Sky+).

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 17:07:01

oh, really Port, now that would solve all the problems...

PortAndLemon Fri 29-Aug-08 17:09:46

(disclaimer: at least, ours (a Toshiba one) happily records from Sky. I don't know whether one specifically billed as a freeview digital recorder would -- it would probably depend on some techie thing about number of inputs or something...)

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 17:16:28

yes, I supose that is worth keeping in mind...shall see if I can find one not freeview labeled

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now