Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone watch PIERREPOINT, with Timothy Spall ?

(12 Posts)
Oblomov Wed 27-Aug-08 11:58:30

I think it was on, on Bank Hol Monday. We Sky+ it and watched it last night.
Wasn't it fab ?
Not that I expect anything less from Timothy Spall. But dh and I both really enjoyed it.
I haven't seen any other threds about it.
Surely someone else watched it ?

moonmother Wed 27-Aug-08 12:00:48

I watched it, thought it was great.

I actually googled and found out more about him yesterday, as I wanted to know what happened to him after he resigned.

Was very interesting

Oblomov Wed 27-Aug-08 12:04:40

Ooooooooohh Moonmother, what DID happen to him ?

At the end it said that he hung 608 people or something between 1933 and 55, so over 22 years. Well thats only 30 a year or so. Mind you, if it was done on a sunday - there are only 52 in a year.
Plus he did do lots together , for the german thing, in 13 days, didn't he ?

Then , some years later , in 1974, he said he didn't agree with it. It didn't solve anything. But it took from 1955 to 1974 for him to conclude that ??????

spongebrainbigpants Wed 27-Aug-08 13:37:37

Albert Pierrepoint

Oblomov, I also watched it and thought it was excellent - a difficult subject very well handled. The above link tells you more about him but is a bit thin on the ground re: info about him after he retired.

blowsy Wed 27-Aug-08 13:40:10

I watched it and thought it was excellent. I found the hanging scenes almost unbearable and thanked God those days are behind us.

I too googled him yesterday, he seemed like an exeptional type of chap.

Oblomov Wed 27-Aug-08 13:58:42

Oh the hanging scenes didn't bother me at all.
I was impressed that dh said, "oh that must be Ruth Ellis".

spongebrainbigpants Wed 27-Aug-08 14:03:26

blowsy, I thought the hanging scenes were managed very well - IKWYM about them being distressing but I was worried they'd be much more graphic and I'm not good with things like that sad.

The bit where he hung his friend was heart breaking sad.

blowsy Wed 27-Aug-08 17:45:29

Actually, you're right. I was worrying that we'd have twitching bodies swinging on the rope - so it could've been worse! I just find any capital punishment scenes in films very distressing.

Remember once going to the Old Melbourn Gaol in Australia. They have got loads of death masks on display from hanged prisoners. They all had these huge lumps on their necks. Ooh it was gruesome, and gave me nightmares.

Sorry, I digress!

moonmother Wed 27-Aug-08 18:07:20

I couldn't find anything about him hanging his friend, when I googled, so that could have been artistic licence.

It actually made Dp and I think about capital punishment etc and if we ourselves could be a executioner.

The hanging scenes didn't bother me ,I thought they were tastefully done.

I did watch a programme earlier this year with michael portillo, trying to find the best way to execute someone humanely. Hanging didn't come very high on the list, something to do with everyones different weights and how it affects different bodies.

blowsy Wed 27-Aug-08 18:13:37

I agree, Moonmother, re artistic licence. I think he was merely an acquaintance from the pub. I saw it was true about the 7 second pb time though!

spongebrainbigpants Wed 27-Aug-08 18:48:33

Oh, don't spoil it for me! smile

If you want to watch a really thought-provoking film on capital punishment then I would highly recommend Dead Man Walking. I've always been totally anti-capital punishment but it really made me see both sides. An exceptional film.

moonmother Wed 27-Aug-08 19:17:07

OOh no I stand corrected,apparently hanging his friend (sorry spongebrainbigpants) was true

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Corbitt

spongebrainbigpants I've seen that too-very thought provoking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now