Talk

Advanced search

Olympics closing ceremony

(9 Posts)
chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 24-Aug-08 20:13:17

Not sure ds age 3 appreciated the dancers because he said 'mummy are they doing heads , shoulders, knees and toes'? Not sure that's what the officials had in mind when doing the choreography.

It was pretty good.

What did anyone think of it, especially the London part.

I really wished Boris didn't look like such a baffoon (sp?) and hadn't stuck his hands in his pockets so much. He looked like an awkward schoolboy.

McDreamy Sun 24-Aug-08 20:15:02

DS loved the bus! grin

Whizzz Sun 24-Aug-08 20:16:55

I heard on the radio about the LOndon Bus thing & Leona Lewis singing Led Zep and thought it was a wind up !!!!
Missed it on the telly though

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 24-Aug-08 20:28:43

I just hope we can have a chance of not looking utterly pathetic compared to the Beijing Olympics with our effort!

The bus thing was ok imho.

Thought the modern 'pop' singing by the chinese group with the drums, the madonna equivalent in pink etc. seemed like something from Eurovision and v. naff.

ghosty Sun 24-Aug-08 22:55:24

I am sorry but I thought the London bit was dreadful ...
Boris looked like a complete dickhead next to the IOC president and the Mayor of Beijing. They looked so neat and smart and he looked like he had slept in his suit for a week. He kept putting his thumbs up at people ... shock
The Aussie commentators said in hushed tones, "And now for the London Cultural Show ... "
There was an animated thing that showed someone graffitiing a wall and a punk hmm. The double decker bus came out and I thought, ooh, this looks exciting ... but there was a huge queue of people waiting for the bus grin with black brollies. They then did a little dance (a good depiction of the cultural diversity though).
They had a lollipop lady who helped a child walk over the dancers into the bus hmm wtf?
Then the bus top of the bus opened and I waited with baited breath to see what would come out and out came Bleeding Leona Bleeding Lewis with Jimmy Page .... W.T.F has that to do with London culture???????????
And then out came DAVID BECKHAM who kicked a ball into the crowd ....So he looked good [slurp emoticon] but HAS NO ONE REMEMBERED THAT HE DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN ENGLAND ANYMORE??????

I am sorry but at that point I went to bed in disgust and hmm I wonder what the opening ceremony in 2012 will be like ... The Teletubbies?

Rant over ... I thought the rest of it was good though ....

MegBusset Sun 24-Aug-08 22:57:37

Our bit was rubbish, the audience just looked thoroughly bemused!

Thought it made no sense for Beckham to be there, as we haven't even entered a football team into the competition for decades...

Mamazon Sun 24-Aug-08 23:02:29

It was worth it just to see jimmy Paige play again.

Shame they had to ruin it by getting Leona to sing.

PortAndLemon Sun 24-Aug-08 23:19:19

Leona Lewis is a "megastar", according to the BBC commentary... hmm

Heated Sun 24-Aug-08 23:19:29

London 2012s emphasis is youth which is great as there are so many upstanding young ppl in this county that don't get the attention they deserve. Imo ppl are just waiting to get behind the Games.

Just hope by the time the opening ceremony comes around they've kicked out the middle-aged media type's idea of what UK 'yoof' is: London bus, Beckham, the singing were all fine. But the graffiti artists were more New York underground (before zero tolerance) than the UK, with unfortunate associations to low level crime! Interviewees in London talked about wetting themselves with excitement and the interview of the most successful Olympian ever was embarrassingly poor.

But plenty of time to get it right [crosses fingers]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now