Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone watch The Secret Millionnaire? I thought it was wonderful (-:

(23 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 14:09:22

It had me in tears at the end. Ive never seen it before, dh says this is a new series.

I thought the MAV woman was sooo grateful, her tears were so lovely and the work they did I thought was deverving of the money.
And the old couple who ran a hostel for young homeless boys, where do you find people like that, they were priceless, just so lovely.

In fact I cried through a lot of it smile

What a great idea for a programme, its on my Sky+ planner now

onefootinthegravy Thu 07-Aug-08 14:12:06

I watched it too, thought it was really good and quite moving. I wonder whether he will give some of those kids a chance if they get their gcse?

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 14:16:41

I hope so, I thought it was great that he offered them paid work esperience in return for doing well in their GCSE's that boys face was priceless especially after he'd made fun of his car grin

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Aug-08 14:21:22

Actually I was a bit hmm about him. Didn't like the way he made his millions (through selling loans to people who've been denied credit). Also thought some of it looked very staged...

Sobernow Thu 07-Aug-08 14:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onefootinthegravy Thu 07-Aug-08 14:29:31

If I won big on the lottery I would love to be given the chance to do that - DH has already warned me that if we ever do - we will split it first because I'll just give all mine away !

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Aug-08 14:32:26

If he'd won the lottery, I would have been more accepting of him. But he made his money by exploiting poor people...

mosschops30 Thu 07-Aug-08 14:34:15

sobernow, the point of it was that he was seeing who needed what and what for. He didnt make anyone 'dance for it' as you put it, he worked as a volunteer for the people in the programme and they had no idea who he was.

There are plenty of people who have money and dont share it out in this way, I thought it was a good idea. He could have sat at home on his arse with his family and turned his nose up (as so many do).

I didnt see how he made his millions, but fairplay to him for coming from a bad life and making it good and showing others it can be done

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Aug-08 14:36:03

He probably has lots of brilliant new leads for his loan sharks in Moss Side now...

beanieb Thu 07-Aug-08 14:37:57

I caught a bit of this but I have to say - the family he gave money to, to make a roof garden... it did look an awful lot like they just cobbled together a load of boards on top of a window for his re-visit. I wonder if they really did use the money for that in the end.

Mind you I did miss a load so didn't see their 'story'

frankiesbestfriend Thu 07-Aug-08 14:44:35

Article in the Mirror today about his company swindling people with hidden charges and higher interest rates than they had previously arranged.

I was so dissapointed as I thought he came across really well in the programme.

Also I was a bit hmm about his background story. His idea of being a criminal teen probably amounted to nothing more than stealing a few Mars bars from the corner shop. I have a feeling he came from a good home, nowhere near as deprived as some of those young people featured in the programme.

Sobernow Thu 07-Aug-08 16:22:41

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 07-Aug-08 18:57:55

I like the program. In most cases, the millionaires taking place have no idea how the "other half" live.
I'm always touched by the show, get a bit choked up thinking that there are good people in the world, not the millionaires but the people they meet - such big hearts and trying to make a difference in the world.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:58:57

Message withdrawn

myalias Thu 07-Aug-08 19:05:22

Wife looked like his mother. Would have liked to seen him shaved - looks like he would have scrubbed up well.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:06:04

Message withdrawn

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 07-Aug-08 21:12:44

dmo Thu 07-Aug-08 22:51:49

his house was very messy loads of books/toys out all over the place certanly not a millionaires house and his car was crap really

however i do like the programme and if it makes thoses kids do their GCSE's no harm is done

the old couple are very brave letting teenage boys into their home

Peapodlovescuddles Fri 08-Aug-08 00:33:21

I reckon the old couple are probably some of the safest people in MOssSide tbh, they occupy a position of affection in the hearts of hundreds of young men from the area... I woiuldn't try to mug her/brake into the house etc (not that I would anyway!)

ElfOnTheTopShelf Fri 08-Aug-08 17:04:50

that couple are amazing.

chonky Sat 09-Aug-08 20:09:48

I enjoyed it - if the programme shows us people like the women who run MAV, or the womderful couple who run the hostel in their own home, then surely it can't be a bad thing? And lol at the hostel lady saying that they kept the neighbours sweet by saving them any locksmith fees!

However, very disappointing as far as he's concerned in that he's made his money by charging people ridiculous amounts of interest.

pmsl at cod getting straight to the point

tiredemma Sat 09-Aug-08 20:16:15

im looking forward to the next one, its in Ladywood (Birmingham) which is where most of my mental health placements have been. Very deprived area, lots of social issues. Should be a good one.

LOL @ Cod- dont beat around the bush

tiredemma Tue 12-Aug-08 21:18:24

its on again!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now