Talk

Advanced search

If you have a big LCD/Plasma tv, can I ask you a couple of questions?

(23 Posts)
Jbck Wed 06-Aug-08 17:12:06

Thought this might be best in here as you're all self-confessed telly addicts smile

DH would like to buy a 37 or 40 inch LCD for our lounge, we currently have a 28 inch widescreen but it's about 6 years old and we're thinking of updating. I think 32 inches is way big enough (slightly ridiculous still if I'm honest) but he's really digging his heels in. So can I ask

a) If you have one what size screen is it
b) what's the distance between your usual viewing position(s) and the tv?

Thanks for tearing your eyes off it for long enough to reply.

Purplepillow Wed 06-Aug-08 17:16:17

I have a 37 inch and it is fantastic

My dm has a 32 inch and it's ok but she is in a small pensioners house.

We sit about 4 metres away from the screen but it is fantastic for playing on the wii gringringrin

Elk Wed 06-Aug-08 17:27:01

We have a 32 inch flatscreen. It takes up much less space than the 28inch CRT it replaced. I normally sit 2-2.5m away but can still see it ok if I sit 5m away.

CountessDracula Wed 06-Aug-08 17:35:03

oh god my dh wants one too

I HATE them
I am digging my heels in

Our 28 inch widescreen is fine

bratnav Wed 06-Aug-08 17:41:12

DP brought a 42" LCD into our home a few months ago hmm

I would say we sit about 3-4 metres away from it and it feels like being in a cinema, the bloody thing dominates the room.

That said, it is great for films, but a bit much for everyday TV

bratnav Wed 06-Aug-08 17:41:14

DP brought a 42" LCD into our home a few months ago hmm

I would say we sit about 3-4 metres away from it and it feels like being in a cinema, the bloody thing dominates the room.

That said, it is great for films, but a bit much for everyday TV

bratnav Wed 06-Aug-08 17:41:39

oops!

serenity Wed 06-Aug-08 17:45:49

We've got a 32" LCD widescreen, and depending on where you sit you're between 2 and 3.5m away. It's more than big enough for us.

HeathersMummy Wed 06-Aug-08 17:49:03

My DH bought a 42" plasma about 3 years ago and I agree with bratnav - it completely dominated the room. He bought it when I was 8 months pregnant with DD and it took me a lot of getting used to.
In the past couple of months I persuaded him to downsize to a 37" and the difference is unbelievable - in a good way grin. No longer dominates the room, and it's now an LCD - I think the picture quality is better.
What I would say, is when you go to pick a TV take a tape measure with you. TVs with the same picture size can be very different in "actual size" - we got a Samsung and it is a very neat unit, much smaller than some of the other 37"ers on the market. Kept me happy smile

Twinkie1 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:50:28

Think ours about 47 inch (I think) but we are about 15 foot away at least!

moshie Wed 06-Aug-08 17:54:25

We just boght a 37", I would have been happy with 32, but it goes right back against the wall so it's not a huge monstrosity like my old tv- not sure what size that was, 28 ish I think. Closest seat is 3m away.

hedgehog1979 Wed 06-Aug-08 17:59:50

we are a bit decadent grin

we have 37" in living room, and sit about 2 - 2.5m from it
we also have 32" in bedroom (mix up at argos, only wanted 19") and are about 2.5 - 3m from it.

both are fine.

bro had a 50" and that was too big, had to move head to watch tv sad

Jbck Wed 06-Aug-08 20:04:30

Should have namechanged cos if DH looks to see what I've been posting he'll be digging his heels in further. Minimum distance will be about 9/10 feet away and his usual seat is going to be almost 14 so 37 might not be too big.

We've got a 19 in the bedroom and I feel it is too small, he thinks we might make the same mistake in the lounge.

Thanks everyone I'll just need to use my wiles wink

JT Wed 06-Aug-08 20:07:48

depends on the size of your room

those enormous ones look awful - who wants the tv as a focal point?

Hulababy Wed 06-Aug-08 20:18:56

a) 42 inch plasma
b) we sit nearly 5m away

eandh Wed 06-Aug-08 20:26:02

42" plasma (better than lcd for layout of our room)

sit 4-5metres away and its wall mounted so fab that no fingers can tounch it and dh and dd1 love playing wii on it!

shinyshoes Wed 06-Aug-08 20:29:59

we have 42 inches .

My chair is about 7 foot away and DP is about 8 or 9 foot away.

the centre of the screen is about 2/3rds of the way down the wall.

noolia Thu 07-Aug-08 11:40:33

IMHO the actual style of the tv is very important - we've got a 37" in a small room, but it is very simple and black so it doesn't look as big as one with a wide silvery surround would look.

kerryk Fri 08-Aug-08 18:32:04

we have the 42".

dh wasnted the 60" shock

Love2bake Sun 10-Aug-08 07:38:05

We have 42 inch / Plasma.

Love it, have it wall mounted and sit about 4-5 metres away.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 10-Aug-08 07:48:32

42 inch wall mounted. Doesn't dominate the room at all - could have easily had a bigger one. Think we sit about 3m or more away.

My parents have an even bigger one but in a smaller room, and the picture isn't as good (same make of TV as us) because you have to sit too close to it.

DH found a guide somewhere of how far away you need to be, so I'd have a google for that before any purchase.

Gingerbear Sun 10-Aug-08 07:51:05

my brother has just bought a 60" LCD. They sit 2-3 metres away from it.
Tis a monster.
We laugh and ridicule him on a regular basis.

for average size room (2-3 m viewing distance) 32" is fine.

SueW Sun 10-Aug-08 08:19:22

DH wants one too. Cue this week 'X at work just bought... blah, blah... only £1100... blah, blah'.

There's a ratio apparently (this has been a subject of discussion in our house for some years).

Ideal viewing distance is to sit approx six times the height (not screen size) of the TV away from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now