Talk

Advanced search

Accents and acting that put Dick Van Dycke to shame on murder she wrote on bbc 2

(17 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 15:45:43

For some reason angela lansbury is playing the cousin of her usual charactar and has adopted the worst accent ever. I was just thinking this is the worst accent since the house keeper in that sitcom with the shrink from cheers when angela lansbury started talking to her!

TheArmadillo Tue 05-Aug-08 15:48:42

I love dick van dyke.

As much as I love murder she wrote, diagnosis murder is fab.

I would hate to find out he was a bastard in RL. He seems so nice with those twinkley eyes.

I'll even forgive him the 'gawd blimey Mary Poppins' accent.

His son isn't half as good looking as DVD in his prime.

TheArmadillo Tue 05-Aug-08 15:49:47

I have to say though I'd be disappointed in AL for that.

I thought she was good at acting.

SirDigbyChickenCaesar Tue 05-Aug-08 15:50:26

apparently he is nice but keeps very much to himself. even his brother says he doesn't know him that well

TheArmadillo Tue 05-Aug-08 15:51:18

that's good.

I can doing 'keeping himself to himself'

grin

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 17:22:01

I just can't see the mary poppins charactar in Dick Van Dyke when he is in Diagnosis Murder. Who is his son?

TheArmadillo Tue 05-Aug-08 17:25:31

the guy who plays his son in diagnosis murder is Barry van Dyke - actually his son.

His gks were in one episode to (with the boxing ring and the teenage boy).

Diagnosis murder - it's a family affair. See here

It's the twinkly eyes and the grin that make him recognisable to me.

2Happy Tue 05-Aug-08 17:31:01

I love Diagnosis Murder. And I watch Murder She Wrote too. There was a Not Diagnosis Murder film on C5 recently, can't remember what it was called, but had Dick and Barry in as father and son, so same kind of premise (I think there's more than one floating around), but dick was looking really old sad

(There should be a [bad taste] emoticon on MN...)

Furball Tue 05-Aug-08 17:35:51

oh bloody hell, that was on today and I thought the same - please note that the TV was 'just on' rather than me watching [honest]grin

Mary poppins accent = really cringeworthy. I watched chitty chitty bang bang on sunday and Dick V D (not good initals are they...shock) did his normal voice in that.

saralou Tue 05-Aug-08 17:40:02

murder 101... DVD played a professor and BVD was a private investigator

i heart dick van dyke

2Happy Tue 05-Aug-08 17:44:27

Ah, I thought it wasn't murder 101 because I'd seen murder 101 and this was different... turns out (thanks to wikipedia) that murder 101 is a series itself and it says there's one out this month [bounces up and down] ((see told you there needs to be a bad taste emoticon))

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 17:54:28

I wasn't watching either it was just on in the room. wink It was just pure American fantasy of what the english are like.

PheasantPlucker Fri 08-Aug-08 14:56:37

Ah maybe, but credit where credit's due, he is the maestro of the bamboo cane.....

AnAngelWithin Fri 08-Aug-08 15:06:21

I didnt like him in night at the museum cos it was the first time i had een him as a 'baddie' smile

AnAngelWithin Fri 08-Aug-08 15:06:46

seen him even! blush

TinkerBellesMum Fri 08-Aug-08 15:42:17

TheArmadillo Shane played a few roles in DM as teenage boys. One was recurring as a bioy Steve took under his wing, then he got a full time role as a doctor. But I think they stopped filming shortly after that. I always wondered if he was Barry's son, I think you can often see it.

What is Murder 101?

PheasantPlucker Fri 08-Aug-08 16:31:08

Twinsetandpearls - I saw that episode a couple of years ago when I was off work with flu!It made me guffaw. I didn't make the connection until I just reread your OP. True quality in its awfulness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now