Talk

Advanced search

The Quran, Channel 4, 8pm: anyone going to watch?

(66 Posts)
policywonk Mon 14-Jul-08 19:49:02

Heard this guy (he also made Death of a Princess) interviewed on the radio last week. He sounds really interesting.

Also, did you know that there's a theory that Islam grew out of a dissident Christian sect? shock <looks nervous>

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 19:51:12

I'm watching it...but no, Islam not from a dissident Christian sect - it was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) over a number of years. There are of course similarities between Islam and Christianity, but not grown out of a sect

smile

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 19:52:40

Ps Did not know there was a theory about it though!!

policywonk Mon 14-Jul-08 19:54:22

I know - neither did I! Apparently it's not discussed in the programme as it's deeply controversial and there's no concrete evidence for it, but the doc. does feature a linguistics expert who points out very close language similarities between the Quran and the Bible (I think - only half-heard this on the radio).

I know Muslims believe the Quran to be revelation, but I'm an atheist meself.

cyteen Mon 14-Jul-08 19:56:03

I'm watching it now, although have only really managed to take in the beautiful architecture so far blush

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 19:56:42

Ahh!! An atheist...possible convert?? <rubs hands together> wink

Only teasing you! The Qu'ran came after the Bible so I'm not surprised that linguistically there are similarities - Hebrew and Arabic are quite similar in some respects either...

Its a two hour prog though....I was s'posed to record it for DH but he's been a complete shite tonight so I've 'forgotten' grin

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 19:57:23

in some respects too...must proof read before posting!!

blush

cyteen Mon 14-Jul-08 20:00:04

Oops, obviously I wasn't watching it just now, I was watching the 3 minute wonder thing before it blush Stupid baby brain. However, I do intend to watch it with my five remaining braincells.

edam Mon 14-Jul-08 21:54:02

Managed to catch a few minutes. Interesting to see the Saudi printing presses churning out their extremist version of the Koran with added 'smite the jews' clauses inserted. hmm

And the Egyptian commentator who pointed out that if you look at footage of Nasser's funeral, with 7m men and women on the streets, you won't see ONE veiled woman in Cairo... wtf has happened over the past three decades?

ExterminAitch Mon 14-Jul-08 22:01:06

gosh that was interesting. footage of the wee girls was heartbreaking...

policywonk Mon 14-Jul-08 22:03:28

Ooof <shifts weight to left buttock>

Yes it was interesting wasn't it? Couldn't watch the fgm bits, had to run off and commune with my tomato plants until it was over.

Obviously made from a Christian perspective - maybe a bit too much so?

Yes, the stuff about Wahaabism was enlightening.

Madlentileater Mon 14-Jul-08 22:04:18

have recorded it...going to watch it now...lokk forward to reading your comments later.

ExterminAitch Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:15

tbh i thought a lot of it was the same message repeated (although i only saw second hour). maybe it could have stood some editing?

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 22:09:22

Well as a Muslim myself, I liked it...thought it gave a balanced view of Islam and was cheering at the screen when scholar said that fgm was not allowed as I'm fed up with people thinking its Islamic - its not, is barbaric!!

lol at commune with my tomato plants though!!!

slim22 Mon 14-Jul-08 22:10:42

With Nasser's death a wave of hope died along. Panarabism had represented a kind of mini "renaissance".

Since then Islam has replaced all other defining aspects of identity in the muslim arab world.
It has also become the best tool of po;otical dissent against dictatorial regimes. A beard and veil were safeguards against arbitrary arrest until early 1990ies when those regimes realised it was actually a bigger threat that marxist student unions.

Today, that's what it still is. an instrument of protest a sort of "holier than thou" statement against a corrupt regime.

slim22 Mon 14-Jul-08 22:13:57

I did not watch btw as am not in the UK so mine is just a general comment in response to EDAM

policywonk Mon 14-Jul-08 22:20:32

That's interesting slim.

Yes, probably unnecessarily long - but it's rather satisfying, sometimes, to watch a big old chewy doc with lots of talking heads and location shots (IMAGINE being the locations scout on that one <faints with envy>)

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 22:22:31

Policy - I've been to Syria....'tis beautiful...would heartily recommend it!

ExterminAitch Mon 14-Jul-08 22:25:39

it's just a shame with these highly authored pieces, when no one steps in to stop repetition. it's a shame, i think, because i'd be veeeeery interested to see the viewing losses over the two hours.

what was the first hour like? what did it cover?

morocco Mon 14-Jul-08 22:26:44

genital mutilation shots were really upsetting sad sad as was commentary from whatever radical imam they had wheeled in to add inflammatory comments about it and how it would sort out adultery in the uk shock

only caught a few mins of the prog - is it repeated?

(I'd love to go to Syria)

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 22:32:48

That Imam was a twat! However, just goes to show that there are people like that out there and its down to the moderate Muslims to ensure that this kind of view point doesn't tarnish Islam and to try and put a stop to it! I was shock at his fgm comments....the absolute <Puss mutters something unladylike and coarse>

edam Mon 14-Jul-08 22:42:39

I think he's probably a dirty old goat who fantasises about wicked western women...

policywonk Mon 14-Jul-08 22:46:20

erm... General scene-setting, then Shia/Sunni/Sifism I think? And how Shia/Sunni split quite similar to Catholic/Protestant split in Christianity. Or did you see that bit?

God, short-term memory shot to fucking pieces.

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 14-Jul-08 22:46:42

Yes because we are all so easy we would faint with desire at the sight of him!!! hmm

ExterminAitch Mon 14-Jul-08 22:50:20

nope, i came in with the saudis. thanks. i have a dvd of this kicking around, might watch the rest (once mighty boosh has finished,obv).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now