Talk

Advanced search

Rotters' Club on BBC2

(42 Posts)
Marina Fri 04-Feb-05 10:08:25

Anyone else enjoying this really well-cast and well-scripted adaptation? I know Jonathan Coe's novels have been discussed on the unputdownable books thread more than once, I am a huge fan.
And almost exactly the same age as he is, so the teen angst experienced by Ben, Lois, Doug, Claire & co is very close to home...
Just wish BBC2 had gone for a five or six part adaptation. They've telescoped a bit too much of the plot for my liking, but other than that, I love it
Floods of tears when Lois spoke again this week...

bluesky Fri 04-Feb-05 16:20:07

We've been enjoying this too, it's actually something we watch TOGETHER!

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 16:22:49

I love the book and the school that its meant to be is where I wnet to university - right over hte roasd
the descriptions itn eh book of 1970s south birmingham northfeild selly oka nd so on are spot on

Roobie Fri 04-Feb-05 16:36:15

Both dh and I are really enjoying this adaptation - can't believe it's the last one next week though. I love Jonathan Coe's novels......would be intrigued to see a TV version of "House of Sleep"!!!!

cazzybabs Fri 04-Feb-05 16:38:47

ohhh I love it toooo. Don't know the book though - shall I read it?

lowcalCOD Fri 04-Feb-05 16:39:03

yy v good

cazzybabs Fri 04-Feb-05 16:43:42

Ohh - I shall set to and go to the library and see if they have it and its set in good old Brum - I was reminising about the old bull ring ; although that then got my dad going!

Dior Fri 04-Feb-05 21:00:54

Message withdrawn

tigermoth Fri 04-Feb-05 21:01:54

totally, utterly gripping book. Johathon Coe is one of my favourite authors.

Posey Fri 04-Feb-05 21:04:40

Me too. Love all his stuff. Dh is actually pleased to have been given Wednesday off (means he has to work Sunday) so he can watch the final episode. Will start reading the sequel when this finishes.

Marina Tue 08-Feb-05 11:10:25

COD! I forgot you might have local knowledge. You weren't in UH too were you? Think it is a shame that lack of location shooting means they didn't show how you could see into the King Ted's swimming pool from the top deck of a 62...
I am interested to see that they have adapted it carefully to take into account later plot developments in The Closed Circle. I really hope they dramatise that novel too. It didn't get quite such good reviews, but I still enjoyed it loads. And I have a signed copy...
Can also recommend The House of Sleep for Coe-lovers. Another profoundly moving novel, especially at the end.

COD Tue 08-Feb-05 11:10:51

Message withdrawn

Marina Tue 08-Feb-05 11:10:59

Roobie, missed your comment. I wonder how they'd adapt House of Sleep too

Marina Tue 08-Feb-05 11:11:52

Never mind Coddy. UH is a Business School now and I think they rebuilt Maple Bank...or was that the Tennis Court flats?

COD Tue 08-Feb-05 11:12:51

Message withdrawn

Marina Tue 08-Feb-05 11:19:54

I was but I think before you...81-85, French and Drama. UH, Pershore Road (opposite Edgbaston Cricket Ground), brilliant year in France, darkest Bearwood. Friends mostly lived in squats in Moseley having escaped Lake/Wydd...
I loved it there too. Hugely underrated city. Highlight was making crap arty student film in snow-covered Jewellery Quarter before it got tizzied up...and the clubbing. Sigh...Faces 5...Barbs...Opposite Lock...

COD Tue 08-Feb-05 11:35:42

Message withdrawn

Marina Thu 10-Feb-05 12:14:26

OK, you've got me Coddy...ovt? Please elaborate or re-type
I was in the basement of the Muirhead Tower a lot of the time...pretending to be an ac-tor
Who thinks the Rotters' Club could have done with another couple of episodes...I feel they rushed it all a bit too much last night and missing out the major Richards plotline was a serious thing...

PhDMumof1 Thu 10-Feb-05 12:23:16

Loved it too. DH was at KE and so we have great fun trying to identify Plum etc. It also means I can get out my crappy Brum accent and he can tease me for being a softy Southerner ...

bakedpotato Thu 10-Feb-05 12:34:09

wow, the little of this i saw looked great. will have to wait for the dvd though. that's newborns for you. such a great script.

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 13:03:50

i loved the fashions

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 13:05:38

(dh has just finished the follow-up - something circle? - and loved it. says it should deffo be filmed too)

COD Thu 10-Feb-05 13:07:50

Message withdrawn

Marina Thu 10-Feb-05 14:10:52

Duh Coddy. Yes it was vibrant, but I was working in hideous rival establishment for most evenings for over a year.
Closed Circle Bundle, and yes they should film it. Although they will have trouble incorporating what has happened to Culpepper, Harding and Richards given the way they skated over the Upper Sixth last night.
I thought Ben's tanktops and Lois' hairdo were just the best

bundle Thu 10-Feb-05 14:15:26

i thought sarah lancashire should have had a bit more padding round her arse, women were much more pear shaped in the 70s, and the clothes accentuated this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now