Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watch Britain's missing model last night?

(24 Posts)
Iklboo Fri 04-Jul-08 13:42:28

What did you think?

I was disappointed. Was expecting it to be very similar to britains next top model, but felt that it fell flat. Liked the girls, and Jonathan Wang but the judges were awful. Have already got it on Sky+ so will watch next week.

What did you think?

Iklboo Tue 08-Jul-08 14:03:54

Thought it was a bit flat too - and the judges seemed to be concentrating on the girls who didn't 'look' disabled or could be photographed in a way to conceal it. Defeats the object of the show IMO

3andnomore Tue 08-Jul-08 20:42:46

I was a bit disappointed too.
Must admit though, what really wound me up was that female judge in the wheelchair that was going on and on about it not being fair that a deaf girl is in the competition, etc...and she was so well peed off that she didn't get her way Yes, you can't see the disability on a deaf person, but surely that doesn't mean they would be less off a spokeperson?
Also, I am sure there is another girl that is also hard of hearing...and I couldn't find any "visual flaw" on her and there was no comment made about this issue with her....so...that seemed a bit ott imo!

3andnomore Tue 08-Jul-08 20:46:08

I just checked the website, and indeed Lilli and Kellie are both deaf...so, why wasn't the issue brought up about both of them? I don't get it?

asicsgirl Wed 09-Jul-08 10:05:21

thought it was quite interesting last night that deafness was shown to be one of the more difficult disabilities for the girls to cope with in those settings. before that i think there was a distinct air of 'oh you're not really disabled, you're just deaf'.

Highlander Wed 09-Jul-08 20:41:37

I saw the trailer for this ages ago, thinking it was a programme about blonde bimbos and I kept saying to DH, 'it's a pretty crap prgramme about modelling and fashion because there is just no way that those fair-skinned girls look good in hot pink'.

I got so stressed about it (I was told never to wear hot pink with my fair skin) I just bored the life out of DH until he himself saw the trailer...........

'I think you'll find most of these girls have limbs missing. That is the point of the programme.'

Oh, never actually noticed blush

candyfluff Wed 09-Jul-08 20:45:34

i watched this too last night .i think the other girls are so jealous of kellie moody because in the looks stake she beats them hands down but on the other hand i can see what the others mean by a disabled model should look disabled.
im interested who will win

FAQ Wed 09-Jul-08 20:48:41

I thought when Lily and Kelly M made them wear the ear plugs for the meal it FINALLY hit home to the one in the wheelchair that being deaf was a real disability too.....

Can't stand the American one, and I've gone right off the on in the wheelchair too.

asicsgirl Thu 10-Jul-08 10:04:19

sophie (wheelchair one) has typical ANTM/ BNTM problem, i.e. pick out one other person in the house and blame them for everything that doesn't go perfectly for you...

FAQ Thu 10-Jul-08 10:04:57

ANTM/BNTM????

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FAQ Thu 10-Jul-08 10:10:04

I do think Sophie is pretty - but I agree serious attitude problem.

Kelly M (the one who won the hat thing) is gorgeous and obviously really enjoys it too.

MsDemeanor Thu 10-Jul-08 10:12:03

I didn't watch it but really, what is the point? Nobody with a missing limb has a serious future in modelling. NObody over a size 10 does either. Nobody with wonky features, or over 25 (unless they started younger).
I know the prog is all about 'challenging our ideas of beauty' blah blah, but these girls will NOT become successful paid models and I think it is somehow deceitful to pretend they will. Modelling is all about a certain type of physical idea - that's what it is. It's a very unusual and rather odd job because of that. They could easily be Britain's Next Rocket Scientist (if they are clever enough) or Britain's Best Businesswoman (if they are committed and dynamic enough) or Britian's Nicest Person...but Next Top Model. Well, it isn't going to happen. No more than it is going to happen to me!

FAQ Thu 10-Jul-08 10:17:04

MsD - 10yrs ago (maybe less?) the idea of "plus" sized model (ie anything over about a size 8) was a thing that people never thought would happen. We are gradually seeing more and more of it now.

Modelling doesn't have to mean walking down the cat walk, I'm sure many successful paid models have never stepped foot on a catwalk (and been paid for it).

MsDemeanor Thu 10-Jul-08 11:17:18

Really, I know what modelling is and I also know how few plus size models there are - though there is a bigger market (arf!) because people are getting fatter. People aren't getting more disabled. I don't mean to sound harsh. I know some beautiful women with disabilities who have families, high powered jobs, big social life etc But they aren't going to be models and really, neither are these girls.

FAQ Thu 10-Jul-08 12:06:52

yes but MsD - 10yrs ago there weren't any plus sized models - I would like to think we are a soceity that is changing and evolving (for the better) - and if there is (albeit slowly) now a slight increase of plus sized models. Why can we as a soceity start the (obviously extremely slow) process of having disabled models too??

It's not so many years since all of the girls on that programme would have been all but excluded from most walks of life my mainstream soceity, but things have moved on (thankfully).

As long as attitudes remain that you have to be a size 6 or less, tall, perfectly formed etc to be a model - that is all there will continue to be........

asicsgirl Thu 10-Jul-08 15:23:35

disabled models - there's only aimee mullins really isn't there. i don't see why a disabled model shouldn't make it tho', esp in high fashion - designers are often looking for models who 'break the mould' in some sense and are controversial-looking, like all the 'waifs' of a few years back, 'heroin chic' etc. alexander mcqueen got loads of extra coverage for using aimee mullins.

sorry about confusion btw - ANTM = america's next top model, BNTM = britain's...

been posting on other telly addicts thread abt BNTM and got a bit acronym-happy wink

3andnomore Thu 10-Jul-08 20:58:19

mildmannered...lol...I agree in your opinion of Sophies look...sorry, but whilst she is nice looking she isn't that geourgeous, she has got a horrible nose, poor thing...and I am aloud to say that, because my nose is even more horrible...I hate big noses...and what did I end up with, a huge nose...so there...
I also think the whole, oh but she don't look disabled, so, what is she doing here...blablabla...well, I have seen no girl wiht a cleft lip and palate in there (that is what I got, and I know, that it isn't considered an actual disability, obviously), but it's a facial deformity, and I have seen some really stunning girls with a cleft lip and palate...yes, they "bare" the scars, but they are still totally stunning and look supercute...but, well, I am thinking that when it's in your face it's just to "in your face"

3andnomore Thu 10-Jul-08 21:01:22

and the whole plus size model thing...whilst I agree they should be there...BUT, it just isn't comparable with a disabled model and why they aren't there...afterall, (and I struggle with my weight) it is kinda selfinflicted mainly (obviosuly know aboout the whole psychology and how hard it is for most people to be really skinnie, etc...but in the end, it is selfinflicted....)whereas a disability is something you are either born with or aquire and then you are stuck wiht that...and nothng much you can do about it...BUT try to cope

FAQ Fri 11-Jul-08 11:45:15

3andmore - but a "plus" sized model is defined as being a size 12 and upwards. - so hardly "self inflicted" being size 12 or 14 is it??

3andnomore Fri 11-Jul-08 16:11:10

I had no idea that plus sized model starts at that completely normal weight......I always assumed it's starts at a higher dress size than that....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now