Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dr Phil..........Anyone else watch it ????

(7 Posts)
nutcracker Wed 26-Jan-05 17:35:28

I think it's brill, sat there with me cheese on toast and me cuppa this afternoon, it was great.

RTKangaMummy Wed 26-Jan-05 17:42:19

I wish I could but it is not on my tv

I know my friend Wildone who has just started on mumsnet watches each day or most days.

I used to watch when he was on OPRAH years ago when I was in Canada.

nutcracker Wed 26-Jan-05 17:43:40

Yes i think i used to watch him on Oprah and i liked him then.

I love the way he just tells it how it is, no messing about. Could do with him giving me some advice i think.

RTKangaMummy Wed 26-Jan-05 18:06:45

In canada I think it was every Tuesday

expatkat Wed 26-Jan-05 18:42:04

I like the no messing-about, too, nutcracker, and the one thing he says which I often remind myself is how it is worth making a change TODAY even if you've had a bad habit/bad mindset for 20 years. He says, "The only thing worse than having a bad habit for 20 years, is having it for 20 years and one day."

I have to admit that what keeps me gripped most is the fact that I just don't recognize the America that is portrayed on that show. It's a suburban middle America thing that I have very little contact with or understanding of. From that standpoint I find the Dr Phil show very educational and more than a little scary! Like the way certain values are just taken for granted, like in that "Outstanding Family Award" show, where the chosen family had ultra traditional values, the man & woman in traditional roles, the manic mum trying to be all things to all people and probably inwardly dying. And *of course* the family was religious--but not religious Jews! (God forbid!) Or Catholics (horrors!)

I always think, "Who are these people and how come I don't recognize this culture?"

MrsBigD Wed 26-Jan-05 18:48:04

I sometimes watch Dr Phil, and find it quite entertaining.

The show on the 'outstanding families' that expatkat mentioned was a bit 'out there' for me... family values I believe in, but those portraied struck me as turn of the century iykwim...

nutcracker Wed 26-Jan-05 18:50:52

Think i missed those ones, have only just discovered it is on of an afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now