Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's not my fault I'm fat

(3 Posts)
woodpops Tue 25-Jan-05 10:54:29

Did anyone see this programme on BBC last night about prada-willi syndrome. It was so sad. It's a illness where the sufferes don't get the feeling of being full when they eat so just eat and eat and in some cases eat themselves to death. THere was a 22 year old lad on it that weighed nearly 32 stone.

aloha Tue 25-Jan-05 11:05:50

saw the first half of this programme and while of course I felt very sorry for the sufferers and their families, tbh I really didn't like it. It was just like a freak show to me and the tone felt exploitative - Look at these kids! Aren't they fat? Look at them eating! Look at how much they weigh! Hey, here's one with his clothes off! Cor! Fat or what? - I found it repetitive and voyeuristic. I wanted to know more about the condition - how rate is it? How it is passed on? is it a rogue mutation or inheritable? What gene is it and how exactly does it affect the body? How early is it diagnosed? How? What's the latest research on it? Who are the key scientists in the field and what progress are they making - ie drug treatment? Yes, you do need the human interest, but not IMO at the expense of everything else. I turned it off and did my washing instead!

woodpops Tue 25-Jan-05 11:22:44

It's gene 15 the problem accurs somewhere around conception and it isn't inheritable. I did a search on ot after the programme last night. About 1 in 14,000 people have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now