Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Strictly Come Dancing Champion of Champions!

(25 Posts)
SilverLining Wed 22-Dec-04 17:53:05

Am I the only sad person who can't wait for this tonight?? Read somewhere that Natasha is already acting like a bad loser by saying she could have done with more time to practice and that Jill will win! And so she should - far better dancer in my (limited!) opnion - plus she has womanly curves which I am all for on TV rather than the stick insect look!

popsycal Wed 22-Dec-04 17:53:24

I am watching it........

StuffTheMagicTurkey Wed 22-Dec-04 17:54:30

Me too - I miss Come Dancing, used to love it. The celeb version is much better though.

popsycal Wed 22-Dec-04 17:56:46

i am the sad person who has even bought in some alcohol free wine for the event.....

Hulababy Wed 22-Dec-04 18:02:49

We will be watching too As DD, who is still feeling a bit oorly, has slept all afternoon I expect she will be enjoying it with us too.

SilverLining Wed 22-Dec-04 22:17:40

Well my fellow watchers - what did we all think?! Hulababy you have made me feel mean as I made sure DDw as fast asleep even though she still asks for dancing every night and I have to tell her its finished! Way too late for her tonight - plus I wanted to savour it all myself!!!

personally i think it was the right result!

popsycal - I hope the wine went down a treat and StuffTheMagicTurkey - hope it reminded you of days gone by!!!

Right off to bed before my darling realises shes missed something and wakes up (though as I type she is asleep in her party hat from nursery which she has worn all week and only wakes up when it falls off her head .... should I be worried?!!)

night night xx

codswallop Wed 22-Dec-04 22:19:28

what is the result?

jingleballs Wed 22-Dec-04 22:20:25

ooh whens the result,.... is darren on there yet?

Hulababy Wed 22-Dec-04 22:31:09

Jill & Darren won - very deserved

jingleballs Wed 22-Dec-04 22:31:47

ooh damn I missed it... was he good? is it going to be repeated?.)

Hulababy Wed 22-Dec-04 22:32:19

SilverLining - DD was only allowed up as she is poorly. She's been asleep most of afternoon and was having some awake time. TBH she fell asleep half way through again and has been sleeping fitfully since.

I enjoyed the show though.

Hulababy Wed 22-Dec-04 22:32:47

I am sure it'll be repeated at some point. They were very good. Did the jive.

jingleballs Wed 22-Dec-04 22:33:31

ooh I liked them in that, sayin that thou, I liked darren anyhow lol. they were def the best couple thou this time around.

SilverLining Thu 23-Dec-04 13:57:20

Hulababy - totally understand why you kept DD up to watch - hope I didn't offend you! Just know that if my DD could have known that your DD was watching it I might have had a mutiny on my hands!!! Hope she is feeling better - its horrible when they aren't well isn't it!

Hulababy Thu 23-Dec-04 13:58:18

Hey, no worries. Didn't take it wrong. Besides I am often a bad mummy and DD's bedtime can vary so much depending of what we are doing. LOL!

I won't tell your DD!

SilverLining Thu 23-Dec-04 17:37:44

Lets hope they can't communicate in some way and compare mummy tactics!! I often think my DD talks in code and plans with her little friends to play up just when mummy has had that glass of wine too many .....although won't be having too many of those, have just found out this morning I'm PG!

I recongise your name from the TTC threads. I had started to take the whole TTC business a bit to heart when nothing happened month after month - this was after DD concieved after one attempt (ahem !) Then having avidly read the TTC thread I read a message from someone that first of all really made me see red and then actually quite upset me about how someone (nameless!) didn't want to be pregnant in the height of summer and have an August baby. So I steered clear of all the TTC stuff and just relaxed about about the whole thing and, well, beggers can't be choosers and being an August baby myself (31st - don't get much later than that!) I can honestly say that I am DELIGHTED to be pregnant and will cope with the sun etc and whatever is thrown at me as I want this baby soooo much!!! Good luck to you - lets hope for a return of Come Dancing soon!! SL xxx

Gwenick Thu 23-Dec-04 19:20:12

Rubbish that Jill has previous experience (did dancing until she was 15!!!) and therefor an unfair advantage over the others. I think Denise should have won - she was fabulous!

MarsselectionboxLady Thu 23-Dec-04 19:22:25

I'm with Gwen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popsycal Thu 23-Dec-04 19:24:37

FestiveFrex Thu 23-Dec-04 20:22:34

I don't actually think there was an awful lot of difference in the advantage that each had. OK, Jill had dancing experience until she was 15. How old is she now? Late 20s? Denise is an athlete and has trained physically for years and years and is probably still training.

So what advantage Jill gained from having dancing experience 10-15 years ago is counter-balanced by Denise's greater physical fitness and agility now.

I don't think there was a lot to choose between them, but I personally found Jill's dances a lot more fun to watch.

popsycal Thu 23-Dec-04 20:23:21

and can i just whisper that apparently denise danced before she got serious about athletics.....

Gwenick Fri 24-Dec-04 10:32:50

I'm sorry but I HAVE to disagree. If you train to do dancing until the age of 15 it doesn't matter how old you are that's plenty enough time for it to sink in even if you don't use it for years. For example - I learned the clarinet until I was 13. Then never played again for 10yrs.........when I next picked up a clarinet I could still remember (with a little practice) a lot of what I'd done. Likewise with things we learnt at school, I'm sure there are many things with just a little revision we could all 'redo' from our schools days.

Something like dancing until 15 (I presume she started young as most do with dancing) would give her a HUGE advtantage.

Yes Athletes train for years and years - but not to be graceful on their feet - especially not with Denises' sporting events!

tallulah Fri 24-Dec-04 21:50:02

I understood this was raised at the beginning and all of the (female) contestants had taken ballet as children (even Denise).

I did ballet from 3- 20 & started up again at 39. Yes it all comes back & my feet remember what to do, but I don't have any more talent for it than I did as a child- next to some of the others in my dance class I'm hopeless! Besides which, unless Jill trained actually in ballroom I can't see she's had much of an advantage because it's a completely different discipline. You hold yourself totally differently in ballet to tap, to ballroom, to scottish country dancing. A bit like saying if you trained on the piano until you were 15 you could pick up a guitar in your twenties and be able to play it....

KatieMaChristmas Fri 24-Dec-04 22:18:26

I did ballet for 8/9 years and it was a real help when I took up ballroom & latin.

I complete beginner has many disadvantages compared to someone like me. Just being able to control my centre of balance came back to me within minutes of my first class, along with an instinctive knowledge of which foot I had to move next.

I feel that Denise was extremely technically accurate and better at Ballromm, however Jill was much more confident and flashy in the Latin. In 10 dance championships - couples whho are stronger in Ballroom normally win - however people prefer to watch couples who are strong in Latin.

But the thing that annoys me - is that any woman dancing with a male dancer has a massive advantage over a man dancing with a woman dancer. It is SO hard to lead a man when dancing the woman's steps. (I dance both male and female steps and have taught a little)

popsycal Tue 28-Dec-04 20:11:18

well said tallulah - couldnt agree more with your last paragraph!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now