Page 2 | MsLatté’s Daebak Cybercafé (Kdrama addicts #28): The Lord gives and He takes away. Lee Jong Suk & Park Hyung Sik return from the army; Seo Kang Joon departs.

(1000 Posts)
boatyardblues Tue 09-Nov-21 12:09:49

A quiet corner of MN for serious addicts of Kdrama, or the K-curious. Most of our viewing is drawn from Netflix and Viki, with a sprinkling of AmazonPrime. There are also platforms streaming content illegally if you go looking. We don’t promote them as they are peppered with pop-ups of “Olga” and friends offering a good time, which gets in the way of the drama. We also dip into Japanese, Taiwanese & Chinese drama as & when.

The previous thread is here but our ‘Addicts Recommend’ list below is cumulative so includes recommendations and favourites from all previous threads.

Shows marked with an asterisk are more uniformly loved or admired. In categorising series, its important to note most Korean dramas have multiple strands - e.g. supernatural, romance and a thriller; crime series with fantasy elements. Genre-busting mash-ups are normal. Series that are tagged as dark may also have moments of comedy or the absurd, likewise fluff can have heavier moments. View the categories below as best approximate & ask if you need guidance, eg about suitability for younger teens.

Comedy (with a side order of absurd)
I picked up a celebrity on the street (Viki)
My Fellow Citizens (Viki/Netflix)
The Fiery Priest (Netflix)

Crime/Thriller

Come and Hug Me (Dramafast)
Graceful Family (Viki)
Healer (Netflix)*
Heartless City (Viki)
He is Psychometric (Viki)
I Hear Your Voice (Netflix /Viki)

Life on Mars (classy remake of BBC series, no major site yet)
My Name (Netflix)
My Secret Terrius (Netflix)*
Signal (Netflix)*
Stranger - 2 seasons (Netflix)
Suspicious Partner (Netflix)*
The Lies Within (Netflix)*
Tunnel (Netflix)*

Historical/Period drama (“sageuk”)
100 Days My Prince (Viki/Netflix)
Crowned Clown (Viki/Netflix)*
Mr Queen (Viki)*
Mr Sunshine (Netflix)
Rookie Historian Goo Hae-Ryung (Netflix)
Tale of Nokdu (Viki/Netflix)*
The King’s Affection (Netflix)

Romance - lighter & fluffier
Beating Again (Netflix)
Coffee Prince (Netflix)
Don’t Dare to Dream (Netflix, or as Jealousy Incarnate on Viki)*
Gogh, The Starry Night (Viki)

Happy Once Again (Netflix)
Her Private Life (Viki)*

His Master’s Sun (Netflix)
Hometown Cha Cha Cha (Viki)*
Love from a Star (Netflix)*
Lovestruck in the City (Netflix)
Monthly Magazine Home (Viki)
Pinocchio (Netflix)
Radio Romance (Netflix)

Romance is the Bonus Book (Netflix)*
Run On (Netflix)

She Was Pretty (Netflix)*
The Beauty Inside (Viki/Netflix)
The Secret Life of My Secretary (Viki/Netflix)
Thirty Not Seventeen (Viki) or as Still 17 (Netflix)
To My Star [BL] (Viki)
True Beauty (Viki)
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo (Netflix/Viki)

What’s Up With Secretary Kim (Viki)*
Where Stars Land (Viki)*
You are my Destiny (Netflix)
You Make Me Dance [BL] (Viki)

Romance - heavier weight/more grown up themes
Another Miss Oh (Netflix)*
Because This Is My First Life (Viki/Netflix)*

Chicago Typewriter (Viki/Netflix)*
Crash Landing on You (Netflix)**
Descendants of the Sun (Viki/Netflix)
Doctors (Netflix)
Doom At Your Service (Viki)
Fight For My Way (Viki/Netflix)*
Go Back Couple (Viki)/Couple on the Backtrack (Netflix)
I’ll Go To You When The Weather is Nice (Viki)
It’s OK Not To Be OK (Netflix)

Just Between Lovers (Viki)*
Mad For Each Other (Netflix)
Melo is my Nature (Viki)/Be Melodramatic (other sites)
My Strange Hero (Viki)
One Spring Night (Netflix)
Red Carpet - film (Netflix, very adult content)
Romantic Dr Kim - seasons 1&2 (Viki)
Search: WWW (Viki, Netflix)*

Something in the Rain (Netflix)
The Handmaid (film, Netflix - content warning: explicit sexual content)
The Package (Viki)

Straighter ‘Slice of Life’ dramas on universal themes
Hospital Playlist (Netflix)*
Hospital Playlist 2 (Netflix)*
Into The Ring (Viki)
Itaewon Class (Netflix)
Live (Netflix)
Misaeng (Netflix)*
Move to Heaven (Netflix)
My Mister (Viki/Netflix)*
My Unfamiliar Family (Viki)*
Navillera (Netflix)*
Prison Playbook (Netflix)*

Once Again (Viki)
Stove League (Viki)/Hot Stove League (Netflix)
Racket Boys (Netflix)

Supernatural/zombies/vampires/fantasy/sci-fi - lighter & fluffier
Extraordinary You (Netflix)
Goblin (Viki)*

I am not a Robot (Netflix)
Legend of the Blue Sea (Viki/Netflix)
Kiss Goblin (Viki, webdrama)
My Holo Love (Netflix)*
Orange Marmalade (Netflix)
While You Were Sleeping (Viki)*

Supernatural/zombies/vampires/fantasy/sci-fi - darker/more grown up themes
#Alive (Netflix)
Ashin of the North (Netflix)
Black (Netflix)*
Hotel del Luna (Viki/Netflix)*
King: The Eternal Monarch (Netflix)
Kingdom (Netflix)*

Mystic Pop-up Bar (Netflix)
Peninsula - film, Train to Busan sequel (Amazon Prime, iMovies)
Sisyphus (Netflix)
The Guest (Netflix)
Train to Busan - film (Amazon Prime)

W: Two Worlds (Viki & Netflix)*
Zombie Detective (Viki/Netflix)

Guilty Pleasures (for the joy, not the quality)
Bride of Habaek (Netflix)
Hwarang (Viki/Netflix)
My Secret Romance (Viki)
The Last Empress (Viki/Netflix)
Sassy Go Go (Netflix)

Mad as a box of frogs/uncategorisable

Strong Girl Bong Soon (Netflix)
School Nurse Files (Netflix)

Not Korean ‘You May Also Like’
Regulars also branch out into Japanese, Taiwanese and Chinese drama. The Chinese & Taiwanese stuff is much more variable quality-wise, so we’ve noted anything decent here:

Before We Get Married (Viki - Taiwanese)
Find Yourself (Netflix - Chinese)
Go Go Squid (Viki - Chinese)
Instead of Tipsy Why Not Get Drunk (Viki, Chinese)
Lost Romance (Viki, Taiwanese)
Love O2O (Viki, Chinese)
Morning Call (Netflix, Japanese)
My Little Happiness (Viki, Chinese)
Put Your Head on My Shoulder (Netflix, Chinese)
Some Day or One Day (Viki, Taiwanese)
The Romance of Tiger & Rose (Viki, Chinese)
Tientsin Mystic (Netflix, Chinese)
You Are My Hero (Viki, Chinese)*

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID aka “the shit list” 💩

Melting Me Softly
The Birth of a Beauty
Well-Intentioned Love season 1 (S2 is fine)

Thread Regulars’ Top Scoring Dramas of 2020
Courtesy of Hello’s kdrama spreadsheet, updated by/for thread regulars. Marks out of 10.

1 - Mr Queen - 9.4 (5 votes)
2 - Parasite - 9.05 (10 Votes)
3 - It's Okay To Not Be Okay - 8.88 (9 Votes)
4 - The Uncanny Counter - 8.50 (4 Votes)
5 - Once Again - 8.42 (6 Votes)

2019’s top scoring dramas:
1. Her Private Life - 9.40 (5 votes)
2. Melo is My Nature - 9.00 (5 votes)
3.= Crash Landing On You, The Crowned Clown, The Lies Within, and The Tale of Nokdu - 8.75 (4 votes)
4. Hotel del Luna - 8.50 (4 votes)
5.= Romance is a Bonus Book, and Search: WWW - 8.17 (6 votes)

We are generally fans of all things Korean, so equally happy to talk about Korean cookery, language, film and music when the mood takes us. A few of us are learning Korean, Japanese and/or Mandarin (some more diligently than others admittedly), so we swap tips and links to language resources. Basically, anything topical goes.

We have a few frequently used acronyms:

FL/2FL = female lead/2nd female lead

ML/2ML = male lead/2nd male lead
🥾🍑 (boot, peach) = kick up the bum to go to bed

We also abbreviate titles if they’re long, but explained or with an obvious abbreviation. Some favourite actors & actresses have been abbreviated for speed/efficiency, eg Park Min Young (PMY). Don’t be afraid to ask for help/clues if we’re not making sense or have descended into acronym soup.

If you want to join us down the kdrama rabbit hole, welcome! Pull up a chair, say goodbye to early nights and get stuck in!

OP’s posts: |
polkettle Wed 10-Nov-21 17:40:09

I do admire how committed all Korean bad guys are to keeping a paperwork ledger detailing all their misdeeds. They never let their admin slip.

MusiqueAutomatique Wed 10-Nov-21 18:05:20

Hello! I'm I'm long time lurker on the Mrs Daebak threads (you've been an invaluable source of new drama recommendations) and I thought I'd finally join in, mostly to talk about Happiness which I see some of you have just started watching. I agree Park Hyung Sik has grown up since military service. Scary zombies are not my usual thing but even apart from Mr Park there is enough going on to pique my interest. I really like the FL too, I am really hoping she stays properly strong and interesting unlike the FL from The King: Eternal Monarch who went all wet after falling in love.

My DH and I are also watching Her Private Life as a slight contrast and we both love it. We had to give up on the Crowned Clown recently though, we just couldn't get into it.

I'm watching Yumi's Cells (on ep 13) and Hwarang which is obviously wonderful for reasons other than the daft plot...

Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations, it's been invaluable when faced with dilemmas over what on earth to watch next!

TheGirlWithTheArabStrap Wed 10-Nov-21 18:08:15

Hello @MusiqueAutomatique 👋👋👋
Welcome to the thread! I agree re the FL in King the Eternal Monarch turning into a bit of a drip!

polkettle Wed 10-Nov-21 18:34:02

👋 Musique Hooray for delurking! Going to try and persuade DH to episode 2 of Happiness after tea. He'd better be up for more than one a week because it's too strong a start to wait on him for.

FedUpWithBriiiiick Wed 10-Nov-21 18:43:48

Welcome Musique!

leeloo1 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:18:14

I’m enjoying the king’s affection too but, as has been said, you really have to suspend disbelief as fl is so tiny. I started wondering if they’d insisted all of the other young actors in it were smooth shaven to make it less obvious how girly the crown prince looks? Quite how they’re going to get her to marry and have an heir is anyone’s guess… I’m suspecting the king knows she’s a girl though, as he seemed against the marriage idea. 🤔

Advertisement

FedUpWithBriiiiick Wed 10-Nov-21 19:55:53

Disney+ getting in on the act now!

We are Star Wars fans in this house so already subbed 😁

boatyardblues Wed 10-Nov-21 21:11:19

Welcome @MusiqueAutomatique! 👋 I love it when lurkers delurk. We all benefit from having a broad membership - extra insights and more people to forage and come back with strong recommendations or warn everyone else off the stinkers.

We already have Disney+ for all the Marvel and Star Wars stuff. Their foray into kdrama means I might get some use out of it too. Good to see Jung Hae In has a new drama. Thanks Bea.

Bea Wed 10-Nov-21 21:23:08

Wasn't me @boatyardblues! 🤣🤣... But you're welcome!! 👍👍😁

boatyardblues Wed 10-Nov-21 21:38:40

🤦‍♀️ Thank you FedUp! Honestly, my brain is mush today. 🙄

FedUpWithBriiiiick Wed 10-Nov-21 22:03:35

boatyardblues

🤦‍♀️ Thank you FedUp! Honestly, my brain is mush today. 🙄

It's ok my brain is mush every day 😂

boatyardblues Wed 10-Nov-21 23:40:23

I’d forgotten how good the twins are in My Secret Terrius. They are cracking little actors.

Rowdythree Thu 11-Nov-21 01:17:09

Welcome to the thread @MusiqueAutomatique, it's great to have you join us! I'm currently re-watching Her Private Life, it's such a good show. My DH, although not actively watching it with me, keeps having a sneaky peak when it's on.

I'm really enjoying Happiness so far, I can't wait for the next episodes to air. Between this and Hellbound when it starts, I hope to keep my DH captivated for our evening viewing 😁

sakura06 Thu 11-Nov-21 07:45:34

Snowdrop has caused a lot of controversy in Korea I believe as people think it will misrepresent the movement for democracy. Interesting that it's on Disney+!

Rowdythree Thu 11-Nov-21 08:36:42

I've heard of the controversy surrounding Snowdrop too Sakura. It will be interesting to see what reaction in gets when it's aired!

Bea Thu 11-Nov-21 11:12:56

www.viki.com/tv/38037c-melancholia Melancholia on Viki looks good and full of angst!!!! There's sooo much good stuff out there.. my watchlist on Viki is getting longer and longer!!!!

I'm soooo excited for the final two eps of Dali ... but equally 😭😭 at the thought it'll all soon be over!!!! Hoping that all the baddies (boooooo!) get their rightful and thorough comeuppance!!!!

boatyardblues Thu 11-Nov-21 12:49:35

The Snowdrop wikipedia entry gives a good overview of the related controversy: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowdrop_(South_Korean_TV_series) I was interested to see the network pushing back on freedom of expression grounds and the links to leaving an authoritarian regime behind.

boatyardblues Thu 11-Nov-21 12:50:42

I haven’t watched any Dali since the blackout/naked towel incident, just got sidetracked. Is it worth going back to?

Bea Thu 11-Nov-21 13:11:30

@boatyardblues Dali ? Oh yes!!!!! and Yes again! It's a good old drama... romance, chaebols, family feuds, stolen glances, mystery death, tabloids, cool but soft characters... and very likeable leads...It's very lovely! and I'm jealous that you can binge watch the whole thing as there's onky 2 eps left now....

Bea Thu 11-Nov-21 13:35:57

awwww! Would You Like A Cup of Coffee? on viki... seems to be very lovely and soothing! 30 mins eps... ony watched one ep so far but i want to now go and find a lovely independent quiet coffee shop and just while away the day.... calming and genteel... aaaannnnd relax.......

polkettle Thu 11-Nov-21 14:09:49

I'm really enjoying Would You Like a... too Bea. Just the perfect size episode for a coffee break in fact. Plus extreme Kdrama approved Drip and Bean Nerdery.

Bea Thu 11-Nov-21 15:01:18

@polkettle I've made myself a cup of coffee and happily enjoying its gentle storytelling! 😍

Hydrogensonata Thu 11-Nov-21 15:33:02

polkettle

I do admire how committed all Korean bad guys are to keeping a paperwork ledger detailing all their misdeeds. They never let their admin slip.

To be fair it's only my lack of organisation that's stopped me from being a master criminal. You'd think they'd move to the cloud by now
On a related note why do always pick henchmen that are just so obviously evil. Is there a special evil henchman agency? If you try and sign up but don't have the look do they give you a makeover?
Looking forward to the last episodes of Dali, of anyone has iqyi dinner mates is a sweet K-drama on there- although spoiler alert FLs has just come home to find her incredibly creepy ex has broken into her flat and is having some sort of breakdown and when nice psychiatrist bf arrives at the door rather than telling him creepy ex is in the flat she sends him away 🙄

Bea Thu 11-Nov-21 16:43:19

Ep 5 of Coffee... It's lovely! Recommended for anyone who needs a little cosiness and warm storytelling!! 👍👍👍😊

boatyardblues Thu 11-Nov-21 19:46:43

Ep5 of Jirisan. Anyone else WTFing over the potato bomb pass the parcel? 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

This thread is not accepting new messages.