Doctor Who Series 13 -- social media outage???

(34 Posts)
Perroquet Fri 08-Oct-21 21:23:55

I've been following Twitter eagerly for the release date of Doctor Who series 13 (Jodie Whittaker's last!) and suddenly today all Doctor Who social media websites (Facebook, Instagram, etc) are blank, not just Twitter! Is this a "prank" marketing strategy on the part of BBC to herald the release of series 13? Or have Daleks been messing with the internet? wink

Any BBC insiders here who might shed some light?

OP’s posts: |
Perroquet Thu 25-Nov-21 16:47:49

Just caught up on the latest episode (Village of the Angels). Finally a proper, scary episode! And no crazy jumping from one unknown place/time/imagination stream to another like last week's confusing episode. The weeping-angel-induced time travel was confined to the same village, two well-defined years (1901 and 1967) in the past. Much easier to follow, more focused and more captivating.
SPOILER ALERT:

The Doctor turns into a Weeping Angel at the end!!!!!!!

Idontknowhowtohelpher Tue 23-Nov-21 16:28:10

I remember when a new episode of Doctor Who would practically fill a thread! And the announcement of the New Year's Day festive special guests would have caused great excitement! (Looks round at tumbleweed...)

Perroquet Tue 16-Nov-21 15:44:33

Idontknowhowtohelpher

I found this episode over complicated and confusing - I am hoping it will all come together soon. I was pleased to see the return of Jo Martin though, she is so good!

I agree, this episode was hopelessly confusing. Who was in whose timeline/timestream? And which timelines were past and which were future? If everyone was hiding everyone in their own timestream, why were the actual other people (like Vinder's boss, the Doctor's Division team) in their timestream being replaced by the the present-day Tardis team/Doctor?

Idontknowhowtohelpher Mon 15-Nov-21 16:43:37

I found this episode over complicated and confusing - I am hoping it will all come together soon. I was pleased to see the return of Jo Martin though, she is so good!

BarbaraManatee Mon 15-Nov-21 00:13:51

"What do you want?"
"To reign in hell."

Oh, y'mean, like Osiris, god of the underworld...? grin

Rummikub Sun 14-Nov-21 23:52:16

That was great research !

Advertisement

Perroquet Wed 10-Nov-21 14:13:49

BarbaraManatee

I've been doing some research & have concocted a theory that Swarm, Azure & Passenger are Osiris, Isis & Horus of ancient Egyptian mythology. One of them Azure, I think made a reference to their names being translations & maybe not entirely accurate ones. Azure comes from a French mistranslation of an Arabic word which means lapis lazuli, a stone which the Egyptians believed each small piece of held a tiny part of Isis' soul.

Isis' brother and husband was Osiris, God of the afterlife. One of Osiris' titles was "Foremost of the Domain of the Bee" - Swarm.

In the myth, Osiris was killed by his brother & Isis, his sister/wife, brought him back to life & they had Horus. Horus was the falcon-headed god & in falconry a passenger is "a young hunting bird that can fly and is taken while it is still in its first year", according to the Wiktionary page for passenger!

Together, Osiris, Isis & Horus make the main holy triad of Egyptian mythology. "We are three."

Of course, this could all be clutching at straws & nothing whatsoever to do with the story, but the comment about their names being translations intrigued me! Of course, the Moirai/Atropos link is Greek rather than Egyptian... But then there were supposed to be 3 Fates, not the 6 featured & Atropos was one of them, not the name of the temple but Doctor Who is just fiction & I really shouldn't expect it to adhere precisely to myths that the writers might choose to reference!

I do still want to know why Vinder said it couldn't be the Temple of Atropos - it seemed like he was familiar with the concept at least!

This is an impressive bit of research indeed, wow! I am familiar with Greek mythology and understood the Atropos and Mouri-Moirai connection but I didn't consider any Egyptian connection to the baddies. You should post this on the official Doctor Who Reddit and Twitter pages to claim full credit, should they actually reveal your theory to be correct!

BarbaraManatee Wed 10-Nov-21 00:24:15

I've been doing some research & have concocted a theory that Swarm, Azure & Passenger are Osiris, Isis & Horus of ancient Egyptian mythology. One of them Azure, I think made a reference to their names being translations & maybe not entirely accurate ones. Azure comes from a French mistranslation of an Arabic word which means lapis lazuli, a stone which the Egyptians believed each small piece of held a tiny part of Isis' soul.

Isis' brother and husband was Osiris, God of the afterlife. One of Osiris' titles was "Foremost of the Domain of the Bee" - Swarm.

In the myth, Osiris was killed by his brother & Isis, his sister/wife, brought him back to life & they had Horus. Horus was the falcon-headed god & in falconry a passenger is "a young hunting bird that can fly and is taken while it is still in its first year", according to the Wiktionary page for passenger!

Together, Osiris, Isis & Horus make the main holy triad of Egyptian mythology. "We are three."

Of course, this could all be clutching at straws & nothing whatsoever to do with the story, but the comment about their names being translations intrigued me! Of course, the Moirai/Atropos link is Greek rather than Egyptian... But then there were supposed to be 3 Fates, not the 6 featured & Atropos was one of them, not the name of the temple but Doctor Who is just fiction & I really shouldn't expect it to adhere precisely to myths that the writers might choose to reference!

I do still want to know why Vinder said it couldn't be the Temple of Atropos - it seemed like he was familiar with the concept at least!

GlacindaTheTroll Tue 09-Nov-21 21:43:14

The Weeping Angels will save the Mouri, by some clever business with the quantum lock that they both have

pointythings Tue 09-Nov-21 16:14:17

I like Azure and Swarm a lot - they do languid callous cruelty so very well. It'll be interesting to find out more about them and their motivations.

I'm not bothered about love interests in Dr Who, but on the whole I am enjoying the six-parter format. I grew up in the era when 6 or 4 parters were the norm, so it works for me (I have most of Sylvester McCoy on DVD).

Perroquet Tue 09-Nov-21 15:52:44

Yes the second episode was better. The new monsters Azure and Swarm have not disappointed me. I still wanted to find out more about the Claire woman and weeping angels, as well as Diane being compelled to enter a house by Azure though! Also did anyone think there could be some potential romance between Yaz and Vinder? Their first interaction seemed to drop some hints in that direction.

pointythings Mon 08-Nov-21 21:52:10

That second episode is starting to tie things up, much better. And I did enjoy 'Hit the road, Skaak'.

Idontknowhowtohelpher Mon 08-Nov-21 15:49:22

I liked this second episode - different storylines seemed to start to make sense, and I thought it was one of Jodie's better episodes. I even found myself worrying about the Tardis!

GlacindaTheTroll Mon 01-Nov-21 15:39:54

I rather liked the dog's take on the relationship with the human you're stuck with!

Presumably the Weeping Angel has sent the woman back in time to where/when the Doctor meets her? But in which case, how had that happened in her timeline (wibbly wobbly)

Perroquet Mon 01-Nov-21 15:32:51

Nice to see Jodie back but I will admit the first episode of Flux was way too chaotic and really bit off more than it could chew. Too many characters and locations and not enough time. Shame that Jodie hasn't had a true, 'uncluttered' moment to shine yet (and perhaps never will.) The previous seasons had too many people in the TARDIS (3 companions!) and I hoped this season would focus on only the Doctor and Yaz alone for a few episodes...but no, the new companion Dan is introduced right away.

MatildaJayne Sun 31-Oct-21 20:53:05

I don’t think there will be any regeneration until next year. Chris Chibnall has a few specials before RTD returns in 2023. My DS has taken to calling him R2D! grin

Ellmau Sun 31-Oct-21 20:43:46

I quite enjoyed the beginning bit, with Yas telling the doctor it was all her fault...

Ellmau Sun 31-Oct-21 20:42:36

I think CC may have tried to shoehorn too many parallel plotlines into a two-part story.

It's not a two part story, the whole of this series (6 eps?) is one story.

Faircastle Sun 31-Oct-21 20:16:41

I think CC may have tried to shoehorn too many parallel plotlines into a two-part story. But I'll reserve judgement until I've seen part 2.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 31-Oct-21 19:32:03

Not a fan TBH though DH watched it tonight .
It's been said before (probably on here by a Dr Who fan) that it's a bit SarahJane Adventures .
The giant dog hmm

And tes , it is a bit preachy !

OytheBumbler Sun 31-Oct-21 19:28:23

I'm enjoying it but mainly because John Bishop is in it.

Campervan69 Sun 31-Oct-21 19:16:04

Any good? I don't like the current doctor, she's too boring and wet for us here. And the storylines too preachy. I want quirky sci fi adventures not a morality tale.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 31-Oct-21 18:43:22

Oops nope , it seems there's another 5 episodes .

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 31-Oct-21 18:41:50

It's on now .............

Does Jodie Whittaker regenerate at the end of this one ?

Perroquet Sun 31-Oct-21 15:27:16

Excited for the series 13 premiere today: 'The Halloween Apocalypse'. The Flux is coming, fellow Whovians!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in