In the Footsteps of Killers

(31 Posts)
user77hjjy Thu 17-Jun-21 00:37:48

Anyone watching this?

I feel it's over dramatised.

They covered Suzy Lamplugh in the latest episode.
The constant phone conversations between the two; "What are you going to ask Suzy's brother?"

They are clearly not go ng to find out anything of significance in this episode.

OP’s posts: |
Winniewonka Thu 17-Jun-21 12:04:36

@user77hjjy - I watched this and the one from the previous week. You're right about how oddly it's done. In fact the Crime Investigator seems to be acting more than Emilia Fox!
However, I did think that the lead from the Canal was worth pursuing and wondered why the Police hadn't followed up on it and dredged that section.
I can remember Suzy Lamplugh's disappearance at the time and feeling so sorry for her family.

Fernie6491 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:30:41

Watched it but to be honest, if they'd found anything significant it would have been all over the news and the front pages!

They wouldn't have kept it quiet.

Buggerthebotox Thu 17-Jun-21 17:03:21

Finding the format odd and Fox and Wilson irritating and hamming it up. Doubt anything new is going to be discovered so can't see the point in it really.

user77hjjy Thu 17-Jun-21 17:35:58

Winniewonka

*@user77hjjy* - I watched this and the one from the previous week. You're right about how oddly it's done. In fact the Crime Investigator seems to be acting more than Emilia Fox!
However, I did think that the lead from the Canal was worth pursuing and wondered why the Police hadn't followed up on it and dredged that section.
I can remember Suzy Lamplugh's disappearance at the time and feeling so sorry for her family.

I watched something a while ago where the "anonymous" woman told of the tale. I'm perplexed as to why they think it's new and why they think they are the first to hear it.

Did you notice that they didn't want to be identified but you could clearly identify them with what they showed us?

user77hjjy Thu 17-Jun-21 17:37:01

I agree, it something significant were to be found we would have heard about it already.

And what's with this forensic locations?
They've clearly said they won't be digging the areas up so what's the point?

PastMyBestBeforeDate Thu 17-Jun-21 17:39:28

The subjects are interesting but the presentation is terrible. We watched it last week but DH can't be persuaded to watch another. I recorded it but I'm not sure I'll bother.

Advertisement

Tangledtresses Thu 17-Jun-21 17:44:29

Oh my it was awful... all those terrible phone conversations, with long pauses amd her stunned face and he wasn't much better!! 😂 and then They ended up near where I used to live tbf a body would've washed up years ago! They dredge that canal all the time

HollowTalk Thu 17-Jun-21 17:58:52

I watched this. I couldn't understand why the guy, having seen someone lurking around at 5 am and throwing a bag (turned into a suitcase) into the canal, wouldn't report that to the police anyway. Nobody would normally throw a suitcase into the canal at 5 am!

HollowTalk Thu 17-Jun-21 17:59:16

And why didn't the man with the bag wait until the other guy was out of sight before chucking it in?

Twinkie01 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:06:04

Utterly pointless programmes. I think they weren't very respectful to the deceased or the loved ones of the deceased by shooting it in such a ridiculously dramatic way. Found absolutely nothing worthwhile out either.

That Dr is the George Clark of these sort of programmes and I feel that Emelia Fox has cheapened herself being involved with this clap trap.

wewereliars Thu 17-Jun-21 18:22:44

I think it's very poor. They interviewed the mother and brother of one of the boys missing in the last episode. There was no point at all to it, and can only have been very painful for them. The mother appeared very vulnerable.

The programme cheapens everyone in it IMHO apart of course from the desperate relatives.

Locationlocationfan Thu 17-Jun-21 22:09:51

I just came over here now to see if there was a thread on this. We recorded the Lamplugh episode and watched about 30 minutes tonight before we had to switch off. It was so obviously staged, all the running whilst on the phone (why?), and talk of coming right over with important news. Awful acting from both of them and nothing new it seemed to me.
I hate to point out to Emilia Fox that she isn’t a detective, and in fact also isn’t a pathologist. And being an actor doesn’t qualify you to investigate cold cases.

purpleme12 Fri 18-Jun-21 00:16:28

I watched episode 1 last week of this and pretty much agree with what everyone says her. Decided not to continue with it.
Dramatised and really wierdly
Very staged when it shouldn't be

purpleme12 Fri 18-Jun-21 00:22:08

Just not natural

Bumzoo Sat 19-Jun-21 18:07:14

It's so bad it's like a comedy but the murders aren't funny at all confused

And as for the bloke, well I think if there was a prize for faux shock and stating the obvious he'd win first prize hands down.

Spied Sat 19-Jun-21 18:11:22

It's absolute cringe.
Up until this show I really respected Dr.Wilson.

RickiTarr Sat 19-Jun-21 18:13:17

I haven’t seen it. I did wonder about having a look on catch up.

You’ve got to be so careful about how you tackle True Crime or else you tip into something slightly exploitative or sensationalist. I can’t say I’m completely won over by this thread. sad

MaBroon21 Sat 19-Jun-21 18:13:24

It was embarrassingly awful and I’m confused as to why Dr. Wilson became involved with this drivel.

RickiTarr Sat 19-Jun-21 18:13:57

Spied

It's absolute cringe.
Up until this show I really respected Dr.Wilson.

X post.

Oh it’s him. Nuff said. hmm

Bibidy Sat 19-Jun-21 18:17:57

Yes I thought the same, it's a very weird format and all feels very forced and acted.

I don't understand why Emilia Fox is even on it?? Apart from being in Silent Witness what on earth does she know about crime and criminology? Very strange choice.

MaBroon21 Sat 19-Jun-21 18:18:40

Oh it’s him. Nuff said

Why. I usually enjoy the things he’s in. Is there a background story I’m not aware of.

Spied Sat 19-Jun-21 18:19:02

@RickiTarr

Have I missed something?

RickiTarr Sat 19-Jun-21 18:24:17

Maybe it’s personal taste or maybe I have a long memory, I don’t know, but I think he started out on cable (at least that’s where I saw him when I was pregnant with DC1) and has had a ~25 year career now appearing in anything at all that’s crime related, good, shite or indifferent. He’s got rich doing it and I don’t quite like his manner. Bit too tabloid for an academic, for me. He just seems to enjoy it all a tad too much.

RickiTarr Sat 19-Jun-21 18:26:43

MaBroon21

*Oh it’s him. Nuff said*

Why. I usually enjoy the things he’s in. Is there a background story I’m not aware of.

TBF, he’s probably appeared on better quality stuff as he’s gone along, like a lot of people on TV, but I remember turning some of the early stuff off feeling a bit tainted. Maybe it’s just that I expect more from the “expert” on screen, IDK.

This one doesn’t sound great, though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in