Advanced search

Neighbour Watching Loud Adult Films

(11 Posts)
AnythingPecan Thu 26-Nov-20 22:51:19

@JemimaTiggywinkle so he was at it again yesterday and so I went to knock his door. Of course he didn't respond. So I left him a note.
Touch wood - nothing today. And I've noticed the tele he's had on today isn't as loud either.
Thank you all! I shall update again in about a week and see if it has indeed improved and isn't just coincidence.

OP’s posts: |
JemimaTiggywinkle Thu 26-Nov-20 14:56:32

@AnythingPecan what did you do? How did it go?!

bloodyhairy Fri 20-Nov-20 19:57:22

Old perv! grin

AnythingPecan Fri 20-Nov-20 18:01:49

Thank you! That's great advice.

OP’s posts: |
MrsMigginsMate Fri 20-Nov-20 10:35:50

Forgot to say, be cautious with noise complaints to the council as I think now they have to be disclosed when you sell your house so people know if there are problem neighbours. Always try to resolve things yourself first.

MrsMigginsMate Fri 20-Nov-20 10:33:50

I wonder if you could contact your local police on the non emergency number and get some advice. They may be able to have a word with him to put the wind up him a bit if he doesn't comply. I know noise complaints are usually a council matter but the type of material he is inadvertently broadcasting to children brings safeguarding issues to mind and that's why I'm thinking the police could assist.

Its quite possible with his hearing that he just doesn't realise and he might be embarrassed when he realises you can hear.

MedusasBadHairDay Fri 20-Nov-20 10:31:11

I definitely wouldn't buy the pervert some headphones, but I would stick a note through the door telling him to stop it.

JemimaTiggywinkle Fri 20-Nov-20 10:30:54

Maybe you could ask his son to try and get him some headphones to hook up to the TV?

I think it’s definitely reasonable to ask... hopefully just the knowledge that you can hear it clearly will embarrass him into turning it down.

MrsMigginsMate Fri 20-Nov-20 10:29:09

Ideally you should speak to him face to face but as he doesn't answer the door maybe you could leave a parcel for him with a note through so he knows to collect it from the step. Give him a set of headphones with a long wire to reach the telly, attach a note explaining "my children can hear your adult films because you have the volume up so loud. We would be grateful if you could use these".

I wouldn't approach his son just yet before you've given him a first warning as his son may not like to know about his dad's wanking habits! But if he doesn't take the suggestion to use headphones then definitely tell the son, there is a chance that he has extra needs you may not be aware of like dementia which can lower inhibitions so it could be something his son has to help with. Of course, he may just be a lousy neighbour in which case embarrassing him by telling his family might put him in his place.

Maybe if none of the above works his son could change the layout of his room and move the telly away from your wall.

mumwon Fri 20-Nov-20 10:26:42

play Bolero? & make sure speakers face the wall

AnythingPecan Fri 20-Nov-20 10:19:36

No idea if I've selected the right thread topic but here goes...
So our elderly neighbour (hard of hearing) has recently started cranking up the volume on his TV set. Although annoying, we've generally put up with it but lately he's been watching adult movies so loud to the point where we can hear it very clearly. He usually puts it on during the day when my kids (13 and 10) are back at home from school. It makes us so uncomfortable in our own home. In an attempt to counteract it, we've moved the Alexa right against his wall and any time we hear the noises we switch on the radio to blur our the sound.

We haven't had a word with him yet mainly because he's elderly and doesn't answer the door. I thought I'd have a chat with his son when I next see him to ask his dad to turn it down.
How would you approach it? What if he ignores our reasonable request? Is it in fact a reasonable request? How might I escalate it?


OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in