Talk

Advanced search

19 kids & outnumbered the Bates Family

(9 Posts)
cushioncovers Sat 27-Jun-20 13:58:35

Anyone watching? I've just discovered this. I remember them as one of the families that the Duggar's visited in their show.

OP’s posts: |
SingleHandSue Sat 27-Jun-20 15:05:05

Ooh, what’s it on? The Duggars are my guilty pleasure blush

Limer Mon 29-Jun-20 16:03:20

It’s been on Lifetime channel the last couple of Saturday afternoons – I recorded them all and binge-watched, fast-forwarding through all the ads. The family all seem so lovely, so happy and genuine – BUT it’s clearly very heavily edited and orchestrated for the cameras. I deplore the sexism. Horrible old-fashioned gender stereotyping everywhere. Some of them must be gay, and with a decent education all of them would do really well in proper careers. The biggest event in those poor girls’ lives is their wedding day – one day of dressing like a princess before an eternity of housework, motherhood and drudgery.

The modest clothing is madness for swimming!

The religious stuff makes me eye-roll massively. Everything being the will of god, and the lack of contraception meaning that god has sent them all those children.

And what is it with all the yodelling?

maxbabi Mon 29-Jun-20 20:04:11

It's on every night x2 episodes. I have to say I am enjoying it, such a nice contrast to twitter!
I used to be in a church similar but we could wear trousers! I left after a while.
They are such nice people though and clearly bright. And home schooled!!!

cushioncovers Tue 30-Jun-20 11:37:29

Sorry single I've just got sky tv moved from virgin and couldn't remember what** channel it was on.

cushioncovers Tue 30-Jun-20 11:38:46

Liner you would hate the 19 kids and counting series then with the Duggar's. 😂 I don't condone their way of life but find it fascinating to watch.

Limer Wed 01-Jul-20 12:36:44

Cushioncovers I've watched some of the Duggar programmes - and yes, they fascinate me too! I'd love to see a proper fly-on-the-wall viewpoint though, rather than the polished and sanitised version. Can't help thinking that it's not all rosy and lovely for them - especially the women - with them obeying their husbands etc. sad I saw an episode where a young wife had sadly suffered a miscarriage, and she was basically saying that it was the will of god sad Maybe she blamed herself for not praying hard enough sad

namechange0073 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:38:03

I saw an episode where a young wife had sadly suffered a miscarriage, and she was basically saying that it was the will of god Maybe she blamed herself for not praying hard enough

I don't think so. It's another way of saying "it wasn't meant to be".

kimlo Fri 10-Jul-20 21:01:35

yes I watch it. But it's a very polished version of what these people are. Gothard, the pearls, blanket training, keeping sweet, being joyfully avaliable to your headship it's all a big rabbit hole you can fall down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »