Talk

Advanced search

Andrew Marr Greatest Paintings

(10 Posts)
NoProblem123 Wed 24-Jun-20 18:54:30

Anyone else watching this ?
I’m really enjoying it - not something I thought I’d say, but it’s really informative, as much about the artist as about the painting.

We’ve done Van Goch, Davinchi, and Turner.
Think there’s 10 altogether so 7 fabulous episodes to go.

I love watching someone talk passionately about something grin

OP’s posts: |
gailforce1 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:49:39

This has passed me by, when is it on NoProblem?

MrBennsshop Wed 24-Jun-20 19:52:46

Slight tangent here, but I've been listening to Sandi Toksvig's podcasts. She pointed out how few famous women artists there are. Am ashamed to admit I hadn't noticed, but she's right isn't she. Will Andrew Marr be covering any women artists I wonder.

NoProblem123 Wed 24-Jun-20 20:30:32

Channel 5 Saturday evenings. There 3 on catch up.

And now I think about it, hardly any female artists - be interesting to see if any are featured in the remaining episodes!

OP’s posts: |
DuesToTheDirt Thu 25-Jun-20 22:52:41

Been watching but his selections aren't my faves. I hate The Birth of Venus and Ophelia is sentimental tosh. Ah well.

The80sweregreat Mon 29-Jun-20 08:11:55

Im really enjoying this series. I don't know that much about art , I'm finding the background to the paintings is fascinating.

I agree that think of any famous artist and chances are it'll be a male one you think of first ! Especially during the times that Andrew Marr is covering. I hope he does feature a female artist at some stage.
I missed last nights one so have to catch up today.

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 30-Jun-20 05:22:08

He might do Artemisia Gentileschi or Elisabeth Vigée Le Brun as a sop to female painters but if he's been populist ( Birth of Venus?? Come ON!) then probably not.

Apolloanddaphne Tue 30-Jun-20 05:49:13

If you have Twitter then follow #womansart. It showcases all the wonderful female artists both past and present.

CountFosco Tue 30-Jun-20 06:02:53

Amanda Vickery did a series on BBC2 a few years ago about female artists and said it was actually quite difficult to get access to some of the works she wanted to cover, there has been a long history of suppressing female achievement (in all spheres).

Magicbabywaves Tue 30-Jun-20 06:07:56

I saw this and it was better than I expected. He’s very doing the top ten of pictures people know.

I thought Mark Gatiss on Aubrey Beardsley (I player) was excellent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »