(21 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Sun 09-Sep-07 19:05:36

I think it will be worth it

smile

RTKangaMummy Sun 09-Sep-07 19:07:59

The Dinner Party Sunday 09 September
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC1
Aspiring to be middle class by living in a charming village can have its drawbacks. For instance, you have to attend horrible dinner parties like the one at the heart of Tony Grounds's bitter drama. The repellent, perma-tanned Roger (Rupert Graves, doing wonders with a cartoonish role as a wealthy yob who uses his financial influence to subjugate and bully his wife - played by Elizabeth Berrington - and his so-called friends) is celebrating his birthday with a lavish meal at his beautifully appointed house. His guests include Leo and Jackie (Lee Evans and Jessie Wallace), a pair of newcomers who've fled the capital for what they think will be a nice life in the country, and his badminton partners Juliet and Jim (Alison Steadman and Alun Armstrong). It's a dreadful evening, full of recrimination, flirtation, gruesome snobbery, disappointment, anger, despair and, finally, violence. Just about everyone is awful, which makes The Dinner Party a bit wearing. But Armstrong rides to the rescue with a pitch-perfect performance as a downtrodden salesman with a slutty wife and a wayward daughter, who finally sees through Roger.

RT reviewer - Alison Graham

RTKangaMummy Sun 09-Sep-07 20:41:59

please dopn't miss this

RTKangaMummy Sun 09-Sep-07 20:49:45

JackieNo Sun 09-Sep-07 20:50:32

Looks great - thanks.

morningpaper Sun 09-Sep-07 22:08:07

Naaaaaah it was a disappointment. They were just trying to wheel out Abigail's Party with a twist. It was sooo cliched it was painful. Like it was written by a 13 year-old. Most disappointing.

southeastastra Mon 10-Sep-07 08:08:36

i had to turn over after 20 minutes, what a pile of poop and really bad acting (alison steadman excepted). dog soldiers on the other side much more entertaining grin

ArcticRoll Mon 10-Sep-07 10:24:29

Agree with others;it was awful and could only endure twenty minutes.

Stereotypes for characters, cliche ridden dialogue and predicatable plot.
If felt like a poor stage play from the eighties.

Watched The Sopranos on E4 later -masterclass in quality drama.

Gobbledigook Mon 10-Sep-07 10:26:27

I thought it was pants tbh.

Gobbledigook Mon 10-Sep-07 10:27:03

southeastastra - oooh, agree! Bloody love Dog Soldiers! Hilarious! (or were you being sarky?!)

Gobbledigook Mon 10-Sep-07 10:27:43

I thought it would be good cos Alison Steadman is a legend - but it was painful.

FLIER Mon 10-Sep-07 10:28:27

It was pretty dire, but disagee with southeastastra, thought the acting was pretty good, especially from Lee Evans, nice to see another side to him. Jessie Wallace was good, too, nice to see her again.

themoon66 Mon 10-Sep-07 10:40:41

It was dreadful. I stuck with it to the end with hope in my heart. What a waste of time.

Turned over to see Dog Soldiers on five at 10pm. What a scary film that was!

Aitch Mon 10-Sep-07 10:48:56

awful, switched over when Jessie Wallace went to the bathroom. rupert graves is, imo, a shit actor who can't play against type.

LoveAngel Mon 10-Sep-07 16:55:07

I find all BBC dramas / comedies like this, these days. Hyped to the hilt and then embarassingly bad. Acting was appallingly hammy. Plot stupid. Whole thing a waste of an hour of my life.

Gobbledigook Mon 10-Sep-07 17:57:25

I agree. Trailers often look good too and then the actual show is pants.

southeastastra Mon 10-Sep-07 18:00:14

wasn't being sarky gobbledigook grin really love dog soldiers. still makes me scared even though i've seen it tons. (the glue incident yuck).

bbc do seem to spend half the budget on trailers (eastenders comes to mind).

Gobbledigook Mon 10-Sep-07 18:20:53

Hehe! THe first time I watched Dog Soldiers - for months afterwards, I'd put the alarm on when going up to bed then always imagined the werewolves chasing me up the stairs! They really freaked me out!! Ha ha!!

Wisteria Mon 10-Sep-07 18:25:04

I was looking forward to that for weeks sad, we stayed with it in the vain hope that there would be an amazing twist but when they started chasing each other round the swimming pool with a sword, we knew there'd be no hope.......

totally agree with loveangel - hoovering would have been more entertaining!

Aitch Mon 10-Sep-07 21:28:57

i must say i TOTALLY loved that eastenders promo when they brought samantha j anus and her gal pal in. it almost made me start watching it again. almost.

NDPHasAKittenOnTheKeyboard Mon 10-Sep-07 21:30:43

It was cack.

Was expecting it to be like Abigail's Party.

It could, should have been a load better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now