Talk

Advanced search

Trailer for the new Emma

(79 Posts)
ppeatfruit Thu 13-Feb-20 09:16:34

Anyone actually going to watch it on the strength of this? I'm only interested because Miranda is in it, playing Mrs Elton I'm assuming.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 13-Feb-20 10:06:44

Yes, I will. I'm not expecting the nice BBC Kate Beckinsale /Mark Strong version so I won't be disappointed. Though I don't think much of Miranda Heart as an actress.

ppeatfruit Thu 13-Feb-20 10:23:43

She's a character isn't she ? I like her though. I'm not much of a techie so I'm not sure if it's on Netflix yet ? I'll watch it on that.

I preferred Kate B to Gyneth too. I'm trying to remember who played Mr Elton in Gyneth's he was really good.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 13-Feb-20 12:08:41

I've seen the GP one and refused to watch it ever again as it was crap!

Toddlerteaplease Thu 13-Feb-20 12:09:18

And don't get me started on The Keira Knightly p&p

ppeatfruit Thu 13-Feb-20 12:25:30

Oh lord Toddler !!! I've just reread the P&P book and how a screenwriter wrote that dopey film out of it I'll never know. JA is probably revolving in her grave about the many film\ TV 'versions' of her books sad

kazzaD66 Thu 13-Feb-20 16:16:34

I think Alan Cumming played Mr Elton in the GP Emma.

ageingdisgracefully Thu 13-Feb-20 18:56:48

Miranda Hart is Miss Bates and...swoon....Rupert Graves is in it as Mr Weston.

Apparently the Director is American. Could be interesting.

GruciusMalfoy Thu 13-Feb-20 19:29:45

I have a cinema membership, so I'll be going along to see it, it wont cost me anything. A couple of bits have made me laugh in the trailer (not sure if the cinema trailer is the same one as on TV).

EuroMillionsWinner Thu 13-Feb-20 20:20:27

I'd rather watch a tap drip.

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Feb-20 08:36:10

Thanks kazza I remembered it was AC eventually.

You are kidding about Miranda playing Miss Bates ageing I did wonder but her clothes were far too bright for a poor spinster woman in those days. The Bates's are meant to be in 'straitened' circumstances. That says a lot about the film even before we watch it.

I'll try it Euro but I bet I'll be agreeing with you before much time into it.

WheresThatCatGoneNow Sat 15-Feb-20 14:16:57

The female American director was interviewed on Front Row (Radio 4) earlier this week.

She came across very well, and seemed like her intentions were well-meaning and genuine, stemming from a lifelong love of Jane Austen's work.

ppeatfruit Sat 15-Feb-20 14:35:05

Thanks Where's She may have good intentions but the budget etc. etc. sometimes means that there have to be so many changes that the whole 'feel' of a film is subverted. TBH the actress who plays Emm doesn't have a very early 19thC feel about her.

An example being a radio interpretation of Sense and Sensibility recently on 4 Ex. (I think) in which they had dropped Margaret (the youngest sister) completely !!!!

I liked the way Hugh Grant and her interacted in the ET film!

Though I mustn't be prejudiced I'll give it a go grin

diddl Sat 15-Feb-20 15:50:18

I don't like the look of the actress paying Emma-

But Johnny Flynn as Knightley-oh my word!

Bill Nighy as Emma's dad?-maybe OK.

But did I mention Johnny Flynn??

SchadenfreudePersonified Sat 15-Feb-20 17:56:36

I think Alan Cumming played Mr Elton in the GP Emma.

I was going t say that, too and yes - he was good!

ppeatfruit Sun 16-Feb-20 10:12:51

(waves to Schady) How are you?

So DH very kindly thought he'd found me the NEW Emma on Netflix BUT it turned out to be the Romala Garai (Sp?) version which I watched because I had missed it when it was on telly. It was good , I liked her and Knightley, it explained a few scenes that Jane had skipped over too (like the one in the Christmas coach where Elton shows his true colours)

So I'm out Emma'd now I'll wait till it does appear on NetF.

QuillBill Sun 16-Feb-20 10:17:27

There is no guarantee it will ever be on Netflix. That's not how it works. It's more likely that it will never be on Netflix.

You will be able to rent or buy it it in a few months on amazon, iTunes etc.

ageingdisgracefully Sun 16-Feb-20 10:21:15

I'm Emma'd out as well. It was my first JA book. I'm a massive fan of JA's writing.

However, this version looks a tad too sanitary for me. Everything's too clean-looking. Hartfield looks too grand - more like a stately home.

ppeatfruit Sun 16-Feb-20 10:37:27

Oh sad thanks Quill

I know what you mean ageing but Emma is meant to be living in a posh 'modern' house which meant very LARGE in those days. Her family is one of the BEST in the area hence her snobbish attitude about poor Robert Martin.

QuillBill Sun 16-Feb-20 11:10:41

You will be able to rent is soon though. Digitally, like a modern day Blockbusters. It’s usually £3.99 on amazon and iTunes and you get it for 24 hours. I’m sure there are other rental websites too.

ageingdisgracefully Sun 16-Feb-20 11:12:42

The house standing in for Hartfield is a tudor house remodelled during the 18th century.

Emma was one of JA's later novels so set around, say, 1810?

I'm on a mission now to find "my" Hartfield!

Ifeel1000yearsold Sun 16-Feb-20 11:48:25

I saw this at the cinema last night. It was ok, not brilliant. Some of the characters well cast (Mr Knightley) some I didn’t love as much (Emma). Some of the outfits were superb though.

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 16-Feb-20 12:35:31

Hi ppeat

<returns wave>

Long time, no see. Keeping well, I hope?

cushioncovers Sun 16-Feb-20 12:41:02

Isn't it a comedy? The trailer makes it look that way.

Standrewsschool Sun 16-Feb-20 12:44:36

Listening to Johnny Flynn as we speak. Superb singer. (Introduced to me after the Bond candidate thread from the other day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »