Call the Midwife - nuns but no Nonnatus

(357 Posts)
NumbersStation Tue 11-Feb-20 21:03:40

Just caught up then realised the thread was full.

Sister Monica joan’s flowers.

Cried like a seal.

My garden didn’t bloom and for me the sunshine failed. My buds were perfect but not for here.

And the hairy bud who grew and blossomed in my care soaked up the love.

Missing the three of you more than you know. X

OP’s posts: |
Smithtylater Wed 01-Apr-20 12:48:39

Call the Midwife has been my lockdown Binge watch. Forgot how good the early seasons are...they are much better watching them second time round !

HowDoesTheCow Tue 10-Mar-20 07:13:49

I have finished my rewatch from the start. It seems to me that series 6 was where it all went wrong. It's a slow and steady descent throughout the series.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Mon 09-Mar-20 20:54:38

I've been watching from the start.

My goodness I'd forgotten how good it used to be. That episode in series 2 when the mum with 8 kids went for an abortion and it was interspersed with Trixie doing her nails. The drip of nail polish in the table and the drip of blood on the floor.

Brilliant television. Gut wrenching.

They are all so young, like they should be. Now they are all on the shelf, old to be unmarried and no new naive slips of girls coming in.

FaithInfinity Mon 09-Mar-20 18:09:14

Just caught up...couldn’t motivate myself to watch the last episode for ages!

bottleofbeer to be fair, if you’re injecting regularly it knackers your veins until you’re struggling to find anywhere. I did feel like it escalated too quickly from May to November with the addiction story line.

I guessed the oesophageal cancer because of personal experience and the field I work in. The question remains where did she get a 99 in November? I thought that part was handled well though. I used to be an elderly nurse. Honestly I lost count of the number of people who I sent home to get some rest only for their loved one to slip away while they were gone. flowers for everyone it resonated with.

EnidBlyton Mon 02-Mar-20 08:54:34

just watched the last episode.
us eastenders must stick together

funny

SprogletsMum Fri 28-Feb-20 08:03:11

Sunday's episode had me in absolute floods of tears. I think it's the first time CTM has made me cry but it reminded me so much of losing my nan to lung cancer not long ago, even down to the complaints about the mattress giving her pain in her shoulder blades sad

bottleofbeer Thu 27-Feb-20 19:19:12

Dr addict had terrible injecting skills for a doctor.

HorseFlyOfExtraordinaryLength Thu 27-Feb-20 17:39:01

Oh she was sexy in the fifties in black sequinned tops and a wiggle skirt.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Thu 27-Feb-20 09:50:48

Trixie seems quite prim and proper (probably a product of her upper middle class upbringing) so the 60s styles really don't suit her.

HorseFlyOfExtraordinaryLength Thu 27-Feb-20 09:22:47

I agree that Trixie's speech was useless. After such a promising start too.
I'm re-watching the first series and Trixie suits the fifties look so much better.
Val's nan's death got to me too. My DM died in the hospital after I went home for a few hours.

ppeatfruit Thu 27-Feb-20 09:04:50

But they were better made than the ones now.

CaptainMyCaptain Thu 27-Feb-20 08:51:23

Goodness, I remember the total opposite from the 60s. Tiny little fireworks called things like “silver fountain”, that sent a shower of sparks about twelve inches in the air. We had a tiny back garden and stood in perfect safety about three feet from where dad was setting them off!
This was my recollection too. The little cardboard box of Standard fireworks.

ppeatfruit Thu 27-Feb-20 08:47:47

Yes JoJo Trixie's speech wasn't great but then she's acting the part of a 60s a nurse not an economist or a practised public speaker. The board of "knock it all down ,it's all old fashioned, so has no value, only progress and the future are GOOD'" were boring grey men who wouldn't listen to anything properly that made sense.

The lovers of their High Rise 'erections" types like our beloved PM and his ilk. Who have literally ruined the Thames skyline IMO . Sorry for the rant but it upsets me

FrancisCrawford Wed 26-Feb-20 22:58:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyOtherProfile Wed 26-Feb-20 16:52:13

The actor didn't really play a dissimilar character to her Eastenders alter ego, Cora, though.

This. When she was in EE I had the impression she was a pretty crap actor and just played a panto version of herself. Her appearances on CtM didn't change that perception.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Wed 26-Feb-20 16:44:02

Yeah I thought Cecil would propose with the whole fine woman, fine man thing.

Girliefriendlikespuppies Wed 26-Feb-20 16:41:11

Yeah I wasn't that impressed by Trixies speech, surely it's pretty obvious they will have cared for lots of women! They needed to talk about how cost effective it is to look after women at home surely.

Why hasn't Cecil proposed to Lucille?! They should be engaged by now surely!

JoJothesquirrel Wed 26-Feb-20 15:31:19

I thought that about trixies speech. She needed to be saying nuns cost x, nurses cost x+y, we’re already in place, replacing us will cost q, we have minimal travelling time, a hospital stay costs r, compared to daily visits. Or go entirely the other way and say “Jim sister so and so delivered you, you had terrible croup and your mum wanted to hand you in to Banardos but we kept coming and now look at you, shape up and stop pretending we haven’t seen all the bums in poplar.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:23:09

The actor didn't really play a dissimilar character to her Eastenders alter ego, Cora, though.

CaptainMyCaptain Wed 26-Feb-20 12:27:43

Yes the actor is very good.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Wed 26-Feb-20 12:05:26

I know she did. I meant the actor, she was very good.

CaptainMyCaptain Wed 26-Feb-20 12:02:03

Val's gran is great.
She performed back street abortions (albeit with good attentions) in filthy conditions and caused the death of, I think, four women.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Wed 26-Feb-20 12:00:25

Trixie's speech is shit. You need to look at the costs live, the risk and benefit to the local population, the need for the maternity home and so on. Knowing they cared for 80 women called Mary is a bit shit. Total crap TV ending that was.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Wed 26-Feb-20 11:50:43

I do like baby nun and enthusiastic nun.

Val's gran is great.

Sister M J is far too bloody sane.

Not sure what the point of Eddie and his 2 women is nor drug addict Dr.

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea Wed 26-Feb-20 10:08:13

My goodness Lucille and Cyrill are a pair of idiots. Whinging about who works hardest and who is too busy to see who. Ffs.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in