Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Anyone watching The Witcher on Netflix?

(49 Posts)
HermioneWeasley Sun 12-Jan-20 19:35:13

I’m enjoying it, though Ciri is wet as anything and I’d really just prefer Geralt killing monsters.

OP’s posts: |
GeraltOfRivia Wed 15-Jan-20 10:50:54

@AshenQueen

GeraltOfRivia Wed 15-Jan-20 10:54:25

Oops! I was going to say stuff not just shout at yougrin

Yes. If they don't explain his history next series I think it'll become problematic as the wolf pendant and the potions and the mutation are so essential to why he is who he is.

I think because they used the set stories from the early books as fixed pieces and focussed on Yennefer's backstory it has worked okay in series one.

I hope they bring Ciri closer to the book now we've sorted her "story" a bit. Now she's met Geralt in the final Episode it might lead into that nicely and bring his backstory in given where they go first in the novels.

Vague enough?? smile

AshenQueen Wed 15-Jan-20 12:14:50

Geralt, perfectly vague and I think you're right actually, that would all tie in nicely in explaining his backstory whilst continuing with Ciri's, feeling more optimistic about it now smile

They did Yen fantastic I thought, I do hope she has plenty character development though, in terms of her personality.

I just still think to someone watching it with fresh eyes, it must seem a bit strange, this dude who drinks potions and fights with vague mentions of being a mutant and a humming medallion, but maybe I'm wrong and people got it fine. Would have been nice to show him do a bit of alchemy too.

I'm looking forward to how they do things regarding a certain Nilfgaardian.

Loved Dandelions parts.

DuncinToffee Wed 15-Jan-20 12:25:43

I watched it with fresh eyes wink
The first three episodes were very confusing and I wasn't really convinced I liked it enough to keep watching. Then in episode 4 it started to make sense, with them all having their own story line/time line. I quite enjoyed the remaining episodes.

TricksyLiesmith Wed 15-Jan-20 12:42:32

Loved it . Agree though that it took a few episodes to work out the characters names and the time line .

Bloody loved Jaskier he was fab .

Are the books worth reading ? Reviews are a bit mixed on amazon

AshenQueen Wed 15-Jan-20 12:58:49

I don't really see why they kept the timeline thing a big surprise. It helped knowing that before I watched it, but think it would have been just as effective to have the year come up on the screen or whatever, esp because you knew before the end anyway.

tricksy the books are really good and worth reading, but the first two are more like short stories before the first novel and I was a bit confused by that. Definitely though they will help fill in lots of blanks and details the first series missed out.

GeraltOfRivia Wed 15-Jan-20 13:53:01

I'm with ashen. The books are great. Although I thought the final one was the weakest of the bunch but was already well hooked and committed by then.

HermioneWeasley Wed 15-Jan-20 20:03:59

I havent read the books, and am confused about the potion thing. I understand he’s not human, he’s some sort of created mutant and he has (so far) vague magical powers. I’ve seen him drink one potion in the “law of Surprise ” episode.

What do I need to understand?

GeraltOfRivia Wed 15-Jan-20 21:06:21

Essentially part of being a Witcher is that the mutation allows you to withstand the effects of potions that would poison or kill regular humans. So he takes potions before a fight to enhance ability for the circumstances in which he's fighting. His eyes are mutated so he can see well in the dark too.

AshenQueen Wed 15-Jan-20 21:21:19

He also has heightened sense of smell and hearing.

And apart from what Geralt said, he's essentially an alchemist, making bombs and specific oils to coat his blade depending on what monster he's fighting.

It's a pretty big part of being a Witcher, so hopefully will be more details and examples of it all in s2!

TheABC Wed 15-Jan-20 21:32:25

Loved it, although like other posters I think title cards to establish the "where" of each storyline would have helped a lot. I speak as one who sat through Witcher 2 & 3 and have read one or two books and comics.

I really hope we see more of Geralt's story in Season 2. Aside from everything else, Cavill has a brilliant sense of comic timing and there's plenty of material to choose from, for moments like that.

Dragging my gaze from the rippling biceps, I loved Yennifer. Great casting there.

Trewser Thu 16-Jan-20 12:55:17

I always wanted to play the game but never did. I'm enjoying this, even though it's nonsense. HC is hot.

GeraltOfRivia Thu 16-Jan-20 13:35:06

@Trewser I came to the game late. I'm just getting into the meat of it now. It's really enjoyable but has given me some good jump scares.

AshenQueen Thu 16-Jan-20 15:05:52

The games are fantastic. The Witcher 2 is cheap to buy but not necessary to play them all to enjoy wild hunt.

I'm playing through it for the third time after being left wanting more from the series 😂

Trewser Thu 16-Jan-20 15:10:46

Can you just jump straight in with wild hunt?

madeyemoodysmum Thu 16-Jan-20 15:28:45

Is the nudity worse than got ??

AshenQueen Thu 16-Jan-20 16:12:23

Trewser the game is really good at filling you in on things and giving a bit of backstory, so jumping in with Wild Hunt shouldn't be a problem at all and will still all make sense. It will spoil lots of the show, but if you aren't bothered about that, definitely recommend it if you like open world/RPG games.

madeye guess that's depends what episode your on? I actually didn't think it was too excessive, but I'm a Game of Thrones fan 😂

AshenQueen Thu 16-Jan-20 16:14:21

@madeyemoodysmum sorry I totally misread your post and thought you asked if it got worse, I didn't realise you meant Thrones even though I just mentioned it 😂

Definitely not as much nudity or graphic sex as GoT

Trewser Thu 16-Jan-20 16:14:29

Might treat myself to the game. Ive finished World of warcraft and am not enjoying Dragon Quest

GeraltOfRivia Thu 16-Jan-20 16:50:45

I launched straight into Wild Hunt and it hasn't been a hindrance. I'm enjoyimg it enough to take my time and do loads of the side stuff and not just plough through the story as fast as possible!

HermioneWeasley Fri 17-Jan-20 21:32:24

Thanks for the explanation @GeraltOfRivia and @AshenQueen

ChloeDecker Fri 17-Jan-20 21:37:32

Just finished all the episodes and I hated the random jumps in time. So hard to follow and a little dull in places.

However, the story of Yennifer was fantastic and I would have liked more of that over Geralt’s grunting.

Not sure if I’ll bother with season 2 but will probably crack! grin

ElenadeClermont Sat 18-Jan-20 19:56:44

I cannot wait for season 2. It will be interesting to find out about the witcher magic PPs mentioned. Hopefully the books will soon get republished and we can get them cheaper.

RedLipsAndRosyCheeks Mon 03-Feb-20 12:32:41

I'm just doing a second watch now. Mostly because I'd not read the books before so found that I didn't really understand what was going on at first.

That is definitely 100% the only reason I am rewatching it. It's certainly nothing whatsoever to do with how ridiculously hot Henry Cavill is in it.

I've bought the books on my kindle now so I'll give those a read while I wait for season two.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in