Page 2 | Britain’s Best Home Cook

(98 Posts)
Countmeout Fri 03-Jan-20 07:11:50

Anyone watching this. I can’t see a thread.
Similar format the GBBO I think. Except it’s on the BBC.

OP’s posts: |
ChristinaRussell Mon 27-Jan-20 12:21:45

Yes, no plain flour is definitely odd. I'm more likely to not have SR than plain. And I would never think I could make stock plus a meal in an hour. I'm a pretty consistent home cook but don't own a pressure cooker; wouldn't actually have a clue how to use one! So I agree that was mean.
However I do love the way CW and MB have a hug when they see each other. The chemistry between them all is very good. who needs Paul Hollywood

Cohle Mon 27-Jan-20 12:24:28

I think Angela comes across as unnecessarily harsh.

The "home cook" format seems a bit confused though - sometimes the judges seem to expect near professional quality, at other times they're happy with something homey and rustic.

Juliette20 Tue 28-Jan-20 07:02:21

I like the leftover challenge and don't think they should have expensive ingredients, but have access to store cupboard basics. If they must deliberately remove an ingredient, make it the same one for each contestant.

Countmeout Thu 30-Jan-20 20:42:59

I love sausages. Wish we could taste what they make 😁

LaBelleSauvage123 Thu 30-Jan-20 20:55:51

They’re saying it’s hard to choose but I think it’s pretty clear the two who will be in the Eliminator round!

LaBelleSauvage123 Thu 30-Jan-20 20:57:01

I love Claudia! She’s such a good host of this.

MinesaPinot Thu 30-Jan-20 22:31:43

My DH has recently discovered this and loves it - it's his favourite watch while I'm at ballet class. I usually come in about halfway through and catch the end (the elimination) after my shower. I enjoy the little bit I see, and I really like the format - like Bake Off without the forced jokes and Paul Hollywood.

Callmesausage Fri 31-Jan-20 00:08:28

I can’t get over how much Katie looks and sounds like Alex Brooker

jay55 Fri 31-Jan-20 14:52:09

I feel mean but i was disappointed when both stayed last night.
I though carb overload woman had had a much worse week than others who have gone. Plus I hate steamed puddings.

That said I do love the show, the format and the judges comments.

Starksforthewin Sat 01-Feb-20 00:32:00

I enjoy the actual cooking on this show, but oh my God the unnecessary drama! Arms around each other, crying, it’s ridiculous!

They’ve known each other for five minutes.

I cannot stand Claudia in this, hovering too close to people, no personal space, asking utterly stupid questions and then the over dramatising when someone cooks less well than others.

When did British TV change to this? We could have more time with the cooks talking about their recipes if we did away with the sob fest nonsense.

lynsey91 Sat 01-Feb-20 11:54:29

I would like to see more of the actual cooking and how they make things. I really would have liked to see how they made the curries and the breads. Either the show needs to be longer or they need to have less cooking challenges

FLOrenze Fri 07-Feb-20 09:10:04

I love this show. The right people have left I think. I think the final will be the three women.

Chipstick10 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:58:36

I cannot stand Georgia

Stellaris22 Fri 07-Feb-20 14:44:47

I can't warm to Georgia, she seems to get a lot of help and extra encouragement. When things go wrong her attitude isn't great. I'm liking the show but don't actually like any of the contestants.

HaudMaDug Fri 07-Feb-20 14:51:15

I couldn't believe Robin put Ruskoline in the bottom of his pie casing. His cutting it to the wire style has me nervous.
Agree about Georgia. Too many tantrums when things go wrong.

Samcro Fri 07-Feb-20 15:02:54

i was annoyed the Georgia wasnt in the eliminator. her pastry was terrible.

Countmeout Fri 07-Feb-20 19:57:50

I thought there should have been more than three in the eliminator.

LaBelleSauvage123 Sat 08-Feb-20 09:28:24

Mary has a real soft spot for Georgia!

lynsey91 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:06:43

Oli didn't follow the recipe for the omelette properly did he? He only use 1 of the fish rather than both. Not sure that he should not have gone for that.

There should have been more than 3 in the cook off

Stellaris22 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:28:30

Mary definitely favours Georgia

lynsey91 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:56:47

I also thought Mary did not like Robin very much. She was a bit snarky about his pastry this week.

Also when he made a curry she made some comment about not putting in whole spices. Lots of curry recipes use whole spice such as cumin seed and coriander seed. I use both a lot.

She may not like whole seeds but he was not wrong to put it in

C8H10N4O2 Sat 08-Feb-20 15:12:01

Mary definitely favours Georgia

I thought it was just me but I've spent most of the series wondering what the connection is between Mary and Georgia because the favouritism is painful.

Starksforthewin Sat 08-Feb-20 18:31:49

Yes, Mary is much snarkier to everyone else. There is a snippier side to her which has really come out in this programme, compared to the Bake Off.

Stellaris22 Sat 08-Feb-20 19:17:47

Agree with this, she really doesn't seem to get on with the other judges and was quite rude to Tom Kerridge with some of her comments.

jay55 Sat 08-Feb-20 19:58:02

When Georgia made the gross cake Mary didn't mince her words, even though the dropped cake had happened.
Agree there really should have been 4 in the eliminator.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in