Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Dracula

(809 Posts)
Dipsydoodle Wed 01-Jan-20 20:42:03

Anyone tuning in tonight? I'm quite excited!

OP’s posts: |
El2El Wed 01-Jan-20 21:36:59

Yes love the nun. Agree with pp, don't love the constant suspense, need a chance to catch my breath!

El2El Wed 01-Jan-20 21:41:25

Yes the nun is great. Agree with pp, need a chance to catch my breath!

CoolCarrie Wed 01-Jan-20 21:41:44

Harker looks totally shit, I recognise his face from somewhere, oh shit I remember a baby from the Gary Oldman one, let’s hope they don’t go there.

iklboo Wed 01-Jan-20 21:42:04

* I'm enjoying it, especially now Dracula has gone all suave and sexy-like*

My mum was so besotted with Christopher Lee as Dracula that was going to be my name if I was a boy. Thank heavens she wasn't into Boris Karloff grin.

covetingthepreciousthings Wed 01-Jan-20 21:45:18

What the hell happened to his accent?? From a Romanian type accent to suddenly being a Londoner? confused

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Wed 01-Jan-20 21:46:37

Not enjoying this and I thought I would 🙁 I think it's too grim for my liking maybe.

Piggywaspushed Wed 01-Jan-20 21:46:56

It's very silly, isn't it?

Not sure I have been scared because it is silly. But I did expect that, to be fair.

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 01-Jan-20 21:47:22

I think that's supposed to be a deliberate change, showing how he's taken on Jonathan's youth and part of his personality while he's been drinking from him. The actor is Danish, so I'm impressed with his accent skills!

Dipsydoodle Wed 01-Jan-20 21:47:40

@covetingthepreciousthings He absorbed the language from Jonathan's blood so now speaks it like a native speaker

covetingthepreciousthings Wed 01-Jan-20 21:49:12

Thanks for the explanation, makes more sense now!

Dhalandchips Wed 01-Jan-20 21:50:10

I thought the corpses climbing out of the boxes were all a bit shit so I've turned it off and come to bed (early start in the morning!)

WeaselsKingHenry Wed 01-Jan-20 21:50:41

I was so looking forward to this, but I switched over after 40 mins; bored! It's all a bit overegged for me (and I think the sets are stereotypical and silly). The first time I've sacked off anything that Gatiss has been involved with.

CoolCarrie Wed 01-Jan-20 21:50:42

It’s the baby from Trainspotting!

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 01-Jan-20 21:51:11

When you think about it, the story is inherently silly from a 21st century perspective. There have been so many iterations of Dracula and other vampire stories that it's very difficult to take it seriously now. I see they're taking the approach of adding a bit of humour to play up the daftness of it.

CoolCarrie Wed 01-Jan-20 21:53:10

This is going to be very Inside Number 9ish, different writers but has that feel to it.

El2El Wed 01-Jan-20 21:53:40

All the special effects are running it! Thinking of going to bed

CoolCarrie Wed 01-Jan-20 21:55:30

The Nun is cool , her comments about her marriage were very funny

El2El Wed 01-Jan-20 21:55:31

Am I slow on the uptake? Are the crap SFX meant to be funny?

Piggywaspushed Wed 01-Jan-20 21:56:16

It definitely is a very silly book eoin !

Dipsydoodle Wed 01-Jan-20 21:57:25

Ooh heck

Blahblahblahnanana Wed 01-Jan-20 21:58:20

When it started I honestly thought I’d watched it before until google tells me it’s a new series.

It taken me nearly an hour to find it, but it really reminds me of the film shadow of the vampire staring John Malkovich.

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 01-Jan-20 21:58:38

CoolCarrie Inside No.9 was written by the other members of the League of Gentlemen so that makes sense.

covetingthepreciousthings Wed 01-Jan-20 22:02:25

It taken me nearly an hour to find it, but it really reminds me of the film shadow of the vampire staring John Malkovich.

Loved that film.

ArseDarkly Wed 01-Jan-20 22:03:31

I've never read the book but the original 'Nosferatu' film is terrifying and the remake was great in a different way. The oldman film had a different take on it and even tho Keanu was ludicrous the story of dracula's love was very touching

I just knew Gatiss wouldn't be up to doing anything good with Dracula. I wasted half an hour of my life watching his rubbish adaption of an MR James story, god it was so badly written and totally lacking in any tension or creepyness. When I think of how superb the old MR James tv adaptions are..

CoolCarrie Wed 01-Jan-20 22:07:22

Our wolfhounds howl like that, it’s totally chilling and scary even when it’s your own dogs.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in