Pottery Throwdown - 8th January

(281 Posts)
NumbersStation Sun 29-Dec-19 21:54:55

Coming back - to channel 4. Let us hope that they don’t muller it like they did GBBO.

Melanie Sykes is hosting. I wish they’d kept Sara.

Let us hope channel 4 grab Fern and resurrect my allotment challenge too.

OP’s posts: |
weaselwords Fri 13-Mar-20 19:50:23

Rosa won it for me when she talked about her pieces having a spirit 😍

VadenuRewetje Fri 13-Mar-20 19:46:31

just finished watching it now and loved it.

I know my mil watches it when it's broadcast during the weekend on repeat (she's not so good with catch up tech) so might still be a few people who would appreciate no spoilers.

thanks to all who avoided being too spoilerry in posts on this thread as I skated past it in my threads list since Wednesday though.

I thought all three finalists were really brilliant - and all flawed so it must have been a really difficult decision.

I am really happy that the winner won though. and loved the little updates on what everyone has been doing since.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 14:25:36

It had little booted feet!

IntermittentParps Fri 13-Mar-20 14:00:13

Thank you, Soup! It even has a little face grin It's so cute.

Shinyfloors Fri 13-Mar-20 13:55:41

I'm going to miss watching the potters, what a lovely, lovely programme.
Well done Rosa!star

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 12:49:55

Rosa's milk jug is bottom left

TreeTopTim Fri 13-Mar-20 12:40:03

Could someone put on a 'what they are doing now' list as I missed that part and my 4od is not working.

I am happy with the result. Loved Rosa's set. I liked the heart detail on Jacob's set. Matt's teapot was great but I just could not warm to him.

IntermittentParps Fri 13-Mar-20 12:22:45

Lordfrontpaw, now you mention it, I can't remember how she did the milk jug...

Nongoddess Fri 13-Mar-20 12:19:32

Jumping in late to say I've loved this thread even though I lost my password details etc so never joined in. But what a lovely cheering series and I liked all your comments on it as it unfolded too. Been a real touch of joy - seeing everyone take such pride in their work and it unfolding in such different ways. Yes, I agree it really was Rosa's challenge in the end wasn't it? Played so much to her illustrative strengths but there was lots of quirky detail in there too. Ah, I'll miss it!

Lordfrontpaw Fri 13-Mar-20 12:13:05

I really do want that cat bowl. It’s exactly the type of thing I would buy - and I don’t even need a sugar bowl! It should have been a cream jug maybe?

IntermittentParps Fri 13-Mar-20 11:24:44

So pleased Rosa won. I totally agree that the challenge played to her talents, but then again Matt came up with a very creative idea and just couldn't quite pull it off. Jacob's was a lovely colour but a bit dull perhaps.

I just wish she'd gone exaggerated and grotesque with the Cheshire Cat bowl – I'd have liked it to have a really terrifyingly HUGE grin and large staring eyes. It was a bit underpowered (if one can say that about a sugar bowl grin )

A bit miffed that the 'where are they now' bit mentioned only Claire's engagement and not her potting!

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 11:01:04

Rosa took such great delight in what she was making.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 11:00:20

That was the Cheshire Cat sugar bowl. I loved it. I'd not realised the tail was the spoon until the judging at the end.

Roussette Fri 13-Mar-20 10:59:18

I've not been a huge fan of Rosa's stuff but this teaset was a gift for her! And it couldn't help but make you smile! Having the animal's tail (can't remember what animal!) as a spoon was genuis!

I didn't like the colour of Jacob's and I'm a tad fed up of dragons.

Yes, Matt's teapot with all the spouts was very very clever but I found the whole teaset a bit boring. And I'm not a great fan of him, especially when he stropped about the 3 bowls saying "I'm NOT happy". It came across as not happy with the decision, whether that was his intent or not.

Rosa was so touched to win, lovely to see her family too. Well deserved.

PeppermintPasty Fri 13-Mar-20 09:53:42

I loved Matt’s idea on paper but I thought it didn’t quite come off in reality, which was a shame.

Rosa was brilliant. I really didn’t have her down as a potential winner until the last two episodes. She was sometimes hit and miss, but clearly she was taking everything on board and her tea set was amazing, witty and creative.

I agree about Jacob and his dragons, bit samey. They were all great to watch though, thoroughly satisfying final I thought.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 13-Mar-20 07:53:42

I’m glad Javid won the last throw down challenge. But really - and ex gymnast and ex cyclist on that piece of equipment!

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 07:51:25

Matt's decoration and the unfinished/wobbly cake stand let him down. Jacob's was a good idea but didn't work out (and yes, very dragon like!)

Rosa's was head and shoulders above them but I think the challenge played to her talents more than the others - it was a gift! For me she had it won from the moment I saw the drawings.

I do think they were evenly matched though - a different challenge could easily have seen one of the others win.

Veterinari Fri 13-Mar-20 07:46:13

I've just watched it - very pleased with the result! I avoided the thread until I'd seen the final - I think it's reasonable to discuss the results on here - I think anyone who's not seen it yet and then comes onto the thread can't really complain - just avoid the threads til you've watched it!

I wish Jacob had moved away from his dragon obsession and was pleasantly surprised by Matt's creativity - this was one challenge where I actually thought he should have been rewarded for some originality but I suspect his cake stand wobble lost him some marks

Lordfrontpaw Fri 13-Mar-20 07:38:41

I love that cat!

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 07:35:51

I'm going for it...!

I loved Rosa's one. the other two were good ideas too (and so different!). The Cheshire cat sugar bowl won it for me.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 13-Mar-20 07:31:01

I saw it!!! I’m glad it wasn’t one person (I couldn’t warm to them) but it was brilliant!

SoupDragon Fri 13-Mar-20 07:26:07

I was wondering that 😂 I think so. One person watched it yesterday and one hid the thread I think.

Roussette Fri 13-Mar-20 07:24:30

Has everyone watched it now?! Can we talk about the winner and the individual pieces?!

weaselwords Thu 12-Mar-20 23:23:18

What a great final and such well deserved winner but how hard must that have been to judge!? Brilliant makes from all concerned.

thegirlwhowaited Thu 12-Mar-20 23:17:57

Ah now.

Lovely stuff smile

Now give me my Bee and my allotment challenge please.

And thank you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in