Talk

Advanced search

Call the Midwife.

(390 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Dec-19 19:06:31

What is going on with Mother Mildreds make up?

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Dec-19 19:08:54

As if they'd just bugger off and leave their own mission!

Ihavethefinalsleigh Wed 25-Dec-19 19:56:30

I've just ditched this. I couldn't bear the little girl getting burned. This is not Christmas entertainment in my book.

Ihavethefinalsleigh Wed 25-Dec-19 19:56:31

I've just ditched this. I couldn't bear the little girl getting burned. This is not Christmas entertainment in my book.

Ihavethefinalsleigh Wed 25-Dec-19 19:56:32

Ihavethefinalsleigh Wed 25-Dec-19 19:56:35

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Dec-19 20:02:17

Must admitS it's getting so far fetched it's ridiculous.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Dec-19 20:03:07

I'm a peadiatric nurse. I'm
Immune to stuff like that l!

LucaFritz Wed 25-Dec-19 20:26:23

Switched it off what utter rubbish! Really let themselves down this year i think its had it's time and they're out of script ideas
Shame as ive been a fan since day 1

Ihavethefinalsleigh Wed 25-Dec-19 20:40:07

I've no idea why my posts have been duplicated.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 25-Dec-19 21:15:49

Totally agree @LucaFritz. They just tripped off to remote islands as if it was a day trip to Brighton. And how on earth would St MJ have managed that journey on her own.

DrinkReprehensibly Wed 25-Dec-19 21:42:10

I'm usually a fan of CTM but that was pretty boring for a Christmas special!

Equanimitas Wed 25-Dec-19 23:35:07

My resident train nerd was having apoplexy at the liberties taken with the train they used. Something about it being a mix of three different types of engines, rolling stock and station architecture, none of it ever being used in Scotland.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 25-Dec-19 23:50:10

I've just turned it off, so dull!

Mammyloveswine Thu 26-Dec-19 00:07:31

I normally love ctmw but zoned out this year...dull as!

Bluerussian Thu 26-Dec-19 01:08:59

It's only the Christmas one which is OTT, I remember a couple or so years back they all went off to an African country. I mean all of them plus the doctor and Fred! This year it was a remote Scottish island.

I enjoyed the programme but the usual episodes in the series are better, more believable.

Defenbaker Thu 26-Dec-19 01:33:04

It was a bit far fetched in places, but pleasant viewing. As usual some fairly realistic birth scenes, cleverly shot, interspersed with some saccharin scenes for easy viewing.

The child getting burned when her nightie caught fire was alarming, but back in the 60s when many people had open coal fires that kind of thing did happen. I can remember campaigns in the 70s and 80s to pressure manufacturers to make children's nightwear and soft furnishings from fire retardant fabric.

Sister MJ gets on my nerves a bit, but I found myself feeling strangely emotional when she caught a glimpse of the white stag she had been yearning to see, especially when it seemed to look directly at her.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 26-Dec-19 04:43:21

The south. Africa one was (a bit) more plausible because the order already had a hospital there.
Who was looking after the Turner Children when the nun assigned to them was in chapel!
They didn't seem at all upset that their parents had just left them with some random person!

DerektheWerek Thu 26-Dec-19 04:56:12

The episode was filmed where I am from. First time watching it out of curiosity and turned it off about half way through, found it very far fetched

oldmum22 Thu 26-Dec-19 08:31:56

So disappointed , The storyline was contrived and a bit disjointed . I hope the new series in January is back to its normal tear jerking high standard .

NameChangeNugget Thu 26-Dec-19 08:56:56

I love CTM however, I thought this was a crap episode

Celebelly Thu 26-Dec-19 08:57:33

I thought it was crap too and was really disappointed sad

Squigean Thu 26-Dec-19 09:02:11

Was anyone else slightly hopeful the doctor was going to more to the outer hebrides. Such a crushing disappointment he didn't.

Wasnt very Christmassy was it? The only proper CtM form was the paper chain world record. I was waiting for the young unhappy girl to leave with them and end up becoming a midwife!!

Northernsoullover Thu 26-Dec-19 09:04:28

I enjoyed it blush

Celebelly Thu 26-Dec-19 09:05:32

@Squigean Yes, thought this might be the chance to finally get rid of him!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »