Talk

Advanced search

SCD 2019 — Semi-finals, two dances but hope we don't fill two threads! (Spoiler free)

(993 Posts)
PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 01-Dec-19 20:10:42

Last thread here.

The glitterball gets ever closer!

TitsInAbsentia Sun 01-Dec-19 20:13:47

The "Sunday" results show is going to be tricky for Shirley next week, she in Panto in Darlington at 1730...helicopter to Borehamwood anyone wink

derxa Sun 01-Dec-19 20:14:06

ilovesooty Sun 01-Dec-19 20:15:01

Thanks for this - even the most obtuse poster ought to know not to post spoilers.

xsquared Sun 01-Dec-19 20:15:07

Thanks Polka.

I think both Chris and Alex knew they could be dancing for the last time.

Alex showed real grace and sportsmanship in her departure.

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 20:16:03

Thanks Polka

Let's hope this remains a a wanker-free zone!

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sun 01-Dec-19 20:18:51

Woo new thread!

Elderflower14 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:19:10

I see @BlueRussian was having a sly dig on the other thread... "Now we all know."...🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

Encyclo Sun 01-Dec-19 20:21:50

Chris was genuinely stunned when Bruno said his name. He was sure he was going home. He's got it all to do next week with two dances though!

ilovesooty Sun 01-Dec-19 20:22:12

Yes Alex was really sporting and gracious. The scoring was so close it was going to be down to personal taste. Chris knew he could easily have been the one to go.

It's a shame imo. I'd much rather have seen the back of Emma and Anton.

Binglebong Sun 01-Dec-19 20:22:23

We really need to go back to only two different dances a week (1 ballroom, 1 Latin) - it would help us all to see where the strengths and weaknesses are, and would mean that no dancer could avoid something they didn't fancy.
Seconded!

ilovesooty Sun 01-Dec-19 20:23:53

I think it's interesting that Anton has largely been able to avoid dances he won't have fancied.

VanyaHargreeves Sun 01-Dec-19 20:24:18

Placemark

Horehound Sun 01-Dec-19 20:25:52

Placemarking

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Sun 01-Dec-19 20:26:49

So the Artful Dodger (Of Ballroom) lives to see another day grin
I think...and I like Chris...that with two to dance next week that they have saved the wrong one. Alex had more stamina and muscle memory I think.
Poor Chris could have been gearing up for Xmas/attending kids' concerts and the like - now he has to embarrass himself with a rumba.
It will be a close run thing as to which will be worse - Chris doing sexy-face (it's going to be classy rather than filthy I would guess) or Emma outdancing Anton (bring back your hat Tony Beak, your Fiona Fullerton mike-pack cha cha is the only one I have believed in) wink
I feel for those who got spoilered - I have been busy all weekend so missed the brouhaha but as I am one who does only have Strictly in my life apart from my ankle-biters I would have been raging if I had stayed away from spoilers to have someone on here ruin it.
Consider yourself (a cunt) <foxtrots away>

GrouchyKiwi Sun 01-Dec-19 20:27:22

Thanks for the new thread. The last one was filled very quickly. Controversy aplenty!

I'm sad Alex has gone, but it was the right time - though I'd have preferred Chris to leave first. Suspect he'll go next week, barring a shocker from one of the top three.

VanyaHargreeves Sun 01-Dec-19 20:27:43

I think they have become more taken with the "look" of the show in recent years

They have enabled Anton to avoid Latin because it is frankly embarrassing when he does it.

MaggieFS Sun 01-Dec-19 20:28:04

Good evening you horrible lot! Seems like I've missed quite a bit! What a pair of tits (not Motsi's) you've all had to contend with. But if anyone can help me make sure I never let anyone call me names, that would be handy. Personally a spade's a spade and a twat's a twat.

Gosh that was a close results show. I was already expecting Chris to be in the firing line next week, and then they said he's got rhumba and waltz! Doomed.

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 20:29:27

I think The Two Spoilers are working a double act Elderflower - they may not have started out that way, but Bluerussian definitely tried to get the ball rolling again when the furore had died down.

Bluffinwithmymuffin Sun 01-Dec-19 20:30:01

Polka, thanks .... and to whoever it was who asked if anyone noticed Kelvin looking especially downcast (can’t remember who, sorry, it was all of ten minutes ago smile) I DID! However, he’s an actor so I thought he was doing the thing they all do at awards ceremonies, ie pasting on the happy/humble/surprised/delighted expression, or whatever the appropriate face would be, for the benefit of the cameras. I’m sure he is a nice guy irl, but he’s still an actor.

Bluffinwithmymuffin Sun 01-Dec-19 20:31:06

Really sad about Alex going, I’ve voted for her from day 1.

ConfCall Sun 01-Dec-19 20:31:20

I think it was fair that either Alex or Chris left the show this weekend. However, I like both of them and think they’ve achieved a lot - would have liked them both in the semifinal, as genuine amateurs.

Anton barely looks at Emma. Complete indifference. They’re like a couple who’ve been married twenty years and are only staying together for the kids.

Piggywaspushed Sun 01-Dec-19 20:33:34

Thanks for new thread and clear title!!!!!

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 20:33:38

They have enabled Anton to avoid Latin because it is frankly embarrassing when he does it.

How can you say that?

He looks amazing in those "Morcambe and Wise" That Riviera Touch sleeves!

grin <shakes maracas>

lynsey91 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:34:59

When I said before Strictly even started this year that I would be supporting Chris I never thought he would make the semi finals (neither did he!). I am so pleased for him. A total non dancer and he has got this far.

Bluffinwithmymuffin Sun 01-Dec-19 20:35:49

MaggieFS
But if anyone can help me make sure I never let anyone call me names, that would be handy.

🤣

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 20:36:43

Anton barely looks at Emma. Complete indifference.

It's embarrassingly obvious. FFS - he's a professional. He should hide his feelings in front of the cameras. Would it kill him to be polite?

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Sun 01-Dec-19 20:37:28

I think it's interesting that Anton has largely been able to avoid dances he won't have fancied

Ach, it makes up for being lumbered off the bat with Susannah and a samba in week one last year.
I did on a previous thread (tis me rage) an analysis of pattern of dance (overinvested, me?!) when someone said that Tony Beak was avoiding all things Latin.
In actual fact him and Emma were one of the few that were very balanced in alternating styles compared with Chris, Alex and Kelvin. I might refind and review in a bit have nothing else in my life
I am/was a bit of a fanton but not this year as it happens as, compared with Ruth, the chemistry just isn't there. I enjoyed Send in the clowns but that was the only one of theirs I have truly liked.
She hasn't lived up to the Ringer expectations, put it that way, whether in full training or not.
I also remember being underwhelmed by Anton and Katie's showdance and thinking I would have preferred Anita's although I was sorry we didn't see Katie's VW again. So I might like to see Karen in the finals again...except I haven't forgotten that Mark Wright's freestyle was running up and down the stairs a lot.
Bring back Neil - yes, it would have been a fourth street-commercial but at least he hasn't ever been in the final and squandered the opportunity!

NumbersStation Sun 01-Dec-19 20:37:59

Now after a particularly harrowing day, and being unable to watch live and relying on the thread to give me suitable frissons of anticipation, I have just about become composed enough to post after thick cnuts managed to spoil it all again.

Don’t call me thick? If the dance shoe fits...

But you can call me thick if you think I thought there was any possibility of your reveal being a mis-step/accident/faux pas. My fat arse it was. And one look at who your cheerleader/apologist has cemented it.

Future Thread title. My pitchfork your arse if you post any results early. Try me.

NumbersStation Sun 01-Dec-19 20:38:43

And independent adjudicator my arse an all....

SauvignonBlanche Sun 01-Dec-19 20:39:27

So glad I was busy canvassing and missed all the spoilers.

Bluffinwithmymuffin Sun 01-Dec-19 20:41:39

Piggywaspushed

Thanks for new thread and clear title!!!!!

I’ve just realised I put the word ‘reveal’ in the title yesterday, which may be why some silly sods thought it was okay to tell us who left six hours before the results show blush

<backs away from thread>

HauntedmessFrogbeaver Sun 01-Dec-19 20:42:10

Thanks for the thread. May the twat twins twat off.

Downside to strictly result is I end up watching the Dark Materials, which is more baffling than some of the voting confused

NumbersStation Sun 01-Dec-19 20:42:32

Sad about Alex but so glad chris is still in. I want to see non dancers get in the final.

Not ringers or people doing west end auditions.

No names no packdrills. Plenty of eyes teeth and I’m amazing/EYE got 10s THOUGH grin

awaynboilyurheid Sun 01-Dec-19 20:43:29

Happy the two I thought would be in the dance off were in the DO! and glad Chris got through but even more happy Karim Kelvin are through. I I keep forgetting about Emma I liked her dance when I saw it but all her dances are forgettable in the final vt Anton just looked fed up.

GoGoLego Sun 01-Dec-19 20:44:09

TitsInAbsentia
That's a bit of a logistical nightmare. Hope the panto encore doesn't go too long as she'll have to have a swift exit

covetingthepreciousthings Sun 01-Dec-19 20:47:04

Thanks for the new thread.

I'm really gutted to see them go, I hope Neil gets a partner again next year. Their Charleston is one of my favourites, loved the choreography.

Apolloanddaphne Sun 01-Dec-19 20:53:35

I'm glad I missed the spoilers. I suspect Chris will go next week.

Bluffinwithmymuffin Sun 01-Dec-19 20:56:45

I predict a real humdinger of a shock exit next week that sees Chris getting all the way to the final.

MaggieFS Sun 01-Dec-19 20:56:43

@NumbersStation That is a cracking suggestion for a thread title. Please can we remember it!

GrouchyKiwi Sun 01-Dec-19 20:58:07

Who is doing the Argentine Tango next week?

AnneKipanki Sun 01-Dec-19 20:58:11

wine

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 20:59:01

I'd love to see that Bluffin.

covetingthepreciousthings Sun 01-Dec-19 20:59:19

@GrouchyKiwi Karim

GrouchyKiwi Sun 01-Dec-19 21:00:48

Bummer. Thanks coveting. I was hoping Kelvin and Oti would be. They're the only ones left with any chemistry.

JumpyLiz Sun 01-Dec-19 21:04:58

Thanks for new thread. Hopefully it will be clear enough for the resident Tossers on the Internet hmm

NumbersStation Sun 01-Dec-19 21:05:54

Aye kelvin looked a bit grim.

I reckon it is because Chris is competition for the ball that is glittery.

Strictly loves an underdog which is why I think it could be an Emma and Karim or Kelvin dance off next week.

Even if Karim gets through to the final I can’t see him winning. He is a good technician - of course he is. But he doesn’t get any emotion or story across. and he is a ringer grin

I think Emma of the eyes is getting through on the Antonettes vote.

Kelvin will likely go through as he does get the story across, can dance and to me anyway seems a likeable chap.

I love Chris dancing - he gives an air of joy out. Do I want him to win? Yes.

But I’m a bugger for the underdog, a bit of joy and a non dancer managing to dance for the millions.

I know nowt about dance - as is probably clear - but I love feeling something when I watch dancing or hear music or look at art. And I will probably vote each time with my heart.

ppeatfruit Sun 01-Dec-19 21:06:16

Well Well I reckon if Craig thought Alex was better than Chris then I respect that opinion. She has undisciplined feet but still she danced better than Chris IMO, though I like him , he seems a genuine bloke which is much more than I could say for the "non dancer" Karim Who just happened to play Simba in The Lion King fgs!!!!!!!!

So now only ONE woman is left. Another ringer..

NumbersStation Sun 01-Dec-19 21:07:21

Thank you @MaggieFS

I’ve sharpened me prongs grin

AppleKatie Sun 01-Dec-19 21:08:49

Sad for Alex but happy for Chris I’m a fan of both of them. They are much much more strictly for me than the ringers

ppeatfruit Sun 01-Dec-19 21:09:00

Oh sorry Polka Thanks for the new thread. grin

Bluffinwithmymuffin Sun 01-Dec-19 21:14:05

Yes, I’m another one happy for Chris, however sad I am to lose Alex. The fact that he was genuinely gobsmacked to be saved after two votes for Alex was also very endearing.

Samcro Sun 01-Dec-19 21:16:42

I really want anyone but karim to win
And why the fuck do people set out to ruin things for peolple, and why don,t mn hq al least suspend them?

VanyaHargreeves Sun 01-Dec-19 21:21:19

My eyes have never recovered from the red outfit he wore to SAAAAAHHHMMMBAA with Patsy Palmer, Rev @SchadenfreudePersonified and it's been a decade !

augustusglupe Sun 01-Dec-19 21:34:22

Really happy for Chris, I couldn’t bear Alex. Definitely the right decision.

LittleAndOften Sun 01-Dec-19 21:46:13

They do always dress Anton in godawful 70s all-in-one cheesy jumpsuit affairs for his Latin dances. In red, gold or powder blue. It really doesn't help!

TheSquitz Sun 01-Dec-19 21:47:53

Checking in. I like Chris but I don't think I want to see him do a rumba in case he gives me lustful urges or is really crap and makes me want to die of embarrassment.

OhShitHappenedToMe Sun 01-Dec-19 21:52:37

Don't get it. Didn't Anton win recently when he got a vaguely decent partner at the expense of a really brilliant, hard working, no dance experience 'Celeb'? Only thing wrong with Alex was her outfit! Screams fix.

VanyaHargreeves Sun 01-Dec-19 21:55:59

Anton has never won but did very well with both Lesley Garrett and Katie Derham

He enjoys playing Hard Done By but the truth is he can't teach at all and is King Of Ballroom but utterly useless at Latin

So if you get him as a partner you've got Fuck All chance basically

TheSquitz Sun 01-Dec-19 22:00:30

No one else would have put up with Anne Widdecombe or Nancy Del Wotsit.

Wheresthebeach Sun 01-Dec-19 22:02:41

Think Neil should be proud of how far Alex got as a non dancer and with his first year as a Pro with a partner.

Next week will be interesting - I'm praying for a Karim v Kelvin dance off.

Kelvin, Chris and Emma in the final would do nicely thank you very much!

Wheresthebeach Sun 01-Dec-19 22:03:27

And don't forget Jerry Hall...she was utterly terrible...

VanyaHargreeves Sun 01-Dec-19 22:07:12

Anton gets requested a lot

Fairly sure both Jerry and Anne specifically asked for him as a condition of their participation

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 22:09:39

I’ve sharpened me prongs

Why does this sound like a euphemism? hmm grin

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 01-Dec-19 22:13:27

Jerry Hall was also an absolute witch, too - got very arsey when other people got higher marks - actually so did Nancy Del(monte)Oliveoil, (and that Penny Lancaster woman).

Ladies - you were shite! Accept it and grow as human beings.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 01-Dec-19 22:45:42

<delurks>

I was going to suggest Strictly No Spoilers as a thread title, but NumbersStation's is inspired!

<relurks>

EnidButton Sun 01-Dec-19 22:53:41

Chris is a bit Marmite isn't he? Those who like him seem to really like him whereas I wouldn't spread him anywhere near my toast. Metaphor went a bit wrong there but you get my drift. He gets on my nips. YouTube Joe got on my nips too and he won so...

Karim's faux shocked face is far worse though. He really over did it when he was voted in against Saffron. Give over Karim. He's very stage school theatre kid so it's not entirely his fault.

However he deserves to be in the final and I'd like Emma and Kelvin there too with Kelvin the winner. Can't believe there's only 2 weeks left!

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Sun 01-Dec-19 22:54:02

Jerry allegedly wanted to do bugger all training and just wanted to take Anton to lunch have to admit, my kind of partner

EnidButton Sun 01-Dec-19 22:55:27

I accidentally saw the spoiler on Twitter btw. I wasn't even looking. Next week I'm avoiding all social media until after the Sunday show.

Whattheother2catsprefer Sun 01-Dec-19 22:57:18

He gets on my nips. YouTube Joe got on my nips too and he won so...

Ummm not he didn't - unless you live in a different reality to me

Theromanempire Sun 01-Dec-19 22:57:32

Gutted Kelvin won't do an AT - honestly think it would have been sizzling as they do have amazing chemistry sad Karim and Amy's is going to be so PG isnt it?

VanyaHargreeves Sun 01-Dec-19 23:01:26

I don't understand how and why all the dances seem to be optional now, instead of compulsory. It's an unfair set up.

EnidButton Sun 01-Dec-19 23:15:12

Oh no he didn't! What I must've wiped Stace and Kev from my memory. How could I?! grin

KitchenDancefloor Sun 01-Dec-19 23:17:39

Evening 'orribles, lurkers and the like.

Blimey, I have a weekend away and not only do I have to catch up with the strictly shows but the thread drama too.

I'm not going to feed the trolls but, humph, mutter... this is why we aren't allowed nice things... someone always spoils it for everyone... numpties...

moving on...

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for Emma or Anton. Something is very frosty and crackly between them. Whatever it is Anton as the professional should take the higher ground and at least look as though he is a supportive partner.

Emma might be a time-constrained PITA but it wouldn't hurt him to at least make eye contact with her. And if his dislike is based on her 'my mum will be so jealous' joke when they were paired up then he really needs to get over his hurt pride.

I loved Alex's JOY of learning to dance and she was very gracious in defeat. No sense of entitlement there at all look and learn Emma W, Saffron and Michelle. Brava Alex.

EnidButton Sun 01-Dec-19 23:28:38

Alex really got into it didn't she? Such a change from when she started, when you see the tv clips put together.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Sun 01-Dec-19 23:45:48

Joe won the tour. Stacey won the show 2cats

As to order of dances...

Ballroom = fox, qs, t, vw, w
Latin = ccc, jive, paso, r, s
Speciality = AS, AT, ch, salsa (showdance)

(Alex: B L L B S S S L L S L)
Chris: L S S L B L S B L L B semis: L B
Emma: L B S B L B L S S B S semis: L B
Karim: L B L B S L B B S S L semis: S S
Kelvin: L B S L L B B L L S S semis: L B

My point in compiling the above is to show that Anton hasn't avoided Latin any more than Karen or Oti avoided ballroom. Neil avoided ballroom to the extent Alex only did 2 in total.
Amy is the one who has had most balanced with 4 latins, 4 ballroom leading up to the semis but will be the one who did all 5 speciality dances. Amy will have help choreoing the AT whereas the other two presumably have two routines to choreo and teach.

Karen ditched Argentine/Waltz
Anton ditched Argentine/Samba (wise boy for both)
Amy ditched Rumba (wise girl) Waltz
Oti ditched Argentine (surprising)/Foxtrot
(*or the producers of course if they dictate it as much as AJ suggests)
Alex would have had Waltz or Viennese or Foxtrot and Salsa.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Sun 01-Dec-19 23:48:39

street-commersh-jazzwank also under S obvs

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Sun 01-Dec-19 23:58:32

So they all ditch two each now. I thought it was going to be 3 each this year because of Judges' Mentoring Dance but it appears not. So... Karen ditched a speciality and a ballroom
Anton a speciality and a latin
Amy a latin and a ballroom
Oti a speciality and a ballroom

I think in the semis the dances they have been allocated are best for Oti (paso and quickstep both popular) then...
Karim (AT and AS might be good depends on choreo and faking it)
Anton (chacha may be slated, waltz will redeem)
Chris (BlokeRumbaCringe and DodgyViennese)

I hope Michelle and Saff are both at home with popcorn and voodoo dolls grin

Horsemad Mon 02-Dec-19 00:09:35

Wow, I missed the spoiler debacle, thank God, after avoiding social media all day!

Really thought Chris was a goner there.

Roll on next week, can't imagine Karim doing an AT...

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 00:24:20

As someone else said on another forum, doing either Rumba or Argentine with your Mum is going to be bad grin
<looks up whether Louis and Flavia did either>
They did a rumba tango dance fusion in week 10 to With or without you.
I have not the vaguest memory of it.
Someone thought Karim would have been better using his contemporary training for the rumba. If they get a decent outside choreographer ahem Vincent they might be able to pull it off if he slows it down otherwise I can see his ganchos being more like Riverdance.
If I were a pro though I'd be grateful to have the pressure off wrt putting together the choreography and you can use VW or fox for Smooth can't you and his foxtrot was excellent so Amy has got a better chance really of polishing two dances in four days than the others?

melj1213 Mon 02-Dec-19 00:28:21

So glad I was out tonight and so avoided the internet until after the show as I managed to avoid the spoiler drama ...

I think it was fair that Chris and Alex were in the DO, they were the lowest scores and neither was the dance it was supposed to be but I have to admit that I love watching Chris (and listening to his wife Rosie on their podcast get more annoyed the further he gets in the show!) and theres just something about Neil that I just dont like but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is ... so I didnt mind the outcome.

I would love to see Kelvin and Chris in the final - as two novices I think they have done well, especially Kelvin considering he was a last minute replacement (I wonder how far in Jamie Laing would have made it?!?!) - but I am not bothered which out of Karim/Emma joins them as they're both ringers - Karim gets on my nerves with his frenetic energy in everything (I'd love to see him have to do a slow, sensual rhumba for example) and Emma is good but forgettable, especially since her and Anton's strained relationship seems to make for awkward dances.

I do think that they need to at least even the dances out - maybe allow the dancers to decide the order they do the dances but they must alternate Latin/Ballroom each week and speciality to be limited to Blackpool and/or one of their two semi final dances. That way the core 10 dances are getting the priority, people aren't able to stack multiple Latin or ballroom back to back to avoid the style they arent as good/confident with and the speciality dances are reserved for later in the competition as a way to step up the complexity in the latter half of the competition.

Also stop with the need for every dance to have a theme/impractical costume (I wasnt a fan of Ashley last year but the troll costumes her and Pasha had to wear that hindered their movements was ridiculous and sticks out in my memory) Halloween/Movies and Musicals/Blackpool/Danceathon weeks allow for more than enough "theme/costume" opportunities so the rest of the weeks dont need them.

And finally, the music/song should suit the dance, be at the right speed/tempo and the singers should be able to sing it correctly because some music choices have been so ridiculously unsuitable that it hinders the dancers, for example Alex's samba this week was hindered by the theming as it seems like they had to try and fit the choreography with the theme rather than the theme with the choreography.

<gets off soap box> thank goodness I've got that off my chest!

Bluerussian Mon 02-Dec-19 00:30:03

I'd never heard of Alex before this show but now I'm a fan for life. She was delightful on Strictly. However I thought it would be her and Chris in the dance off. I'm glad the judges votes were not unanimous.

Can't wait for next Saturday.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 00:30:14

Oti might well be going the way of Samba and Charleston in the final then making her freestyle foxtrotty (feather boa route) or sexy sultry (Argentine chest out route).

FagashJackie Mon 02-Dec-19 00:34:06

Nice thread.

I was sad to see Alex go tonight, but it gets to that stage where they have all done so well, it's sad whoever they are.

We're all different, but I can't warm to Emma and Anton. I wish she had had Jo Varney or Aliaj. I bet she does too.

I much prefer Motsi to Darcy.

I've no problem with a ringer, I love watching great dancing. I can't believe it's only two more weeks.

I just love it all.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 00:40:47

Nah, vent away melj the new producer might take notes and go back to series 1 old school. Certainly the vts this year have been more to do with training than the usual comedy bollocks.
It did make for a more interesting DO Blue All judges bar Shirley had given both couples the same. The one point lead Chris had was down to Shirley so she stuck to her guns in the casting vote.
Difficult to call - neither had the real content tbh but both sold their routines fantastically well. I might have given it Alex myself. She could have done salsa and viennese with arm hankies in the semis. Though Neil might have made it a street viennese wink

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 00:46:06

Now I could have seen Aljaz with Emma and Tony Beak with the Viscountess ha! ha! marvellous. Gio is a slavedriver/puts in all hours like Oti so I cannot imagine that partnership going so well unless he moved into Albert Square. Might have ended up like Brenda-Sunetra.
I have a different pro for each dance in my head but from the bigger women (I am plus size) I think Aljaz did a lovely job with Alison so I would want him not sure he could do gapping with my belly grin

Bluerussian Mon 02-Dec-19 00:49:55

Aljaz is marvellous, he's so good with everyone, very kind.
Oti is my favourite female professional (used to be Natalie Lowe), she's a joy to watch and really gets the best out of her partners. I'm glad she is still in the running with Kelvin - he has been surprisingly good!

Great stuff in store on the next two weekends.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 01:15:29

Yes, I wouldn't mind an Oti win #Dannywuzrobbed, especially as it amuses me she wins it on her sister's first outing as a judge: it's always funny how the fickle hand of fate works as had she been handed a ringer people would have cried unfair!, had Motsi been giving her 10s under other circumstances there would have been cries of favouritism but given Baron von Biscuit's injury, she really landed on her feet with Kelviteer. She is very good with those that can train hard. She was less good with duffers (on Let's Dance Germany).
It is time she and Gio had proper duffers though.
My favourite pro this year was Johannes - his charleston shrieks were joyous and I liked him from his work on South African DWTS. Karen and Janette have worn me down eventually- I do think Janette had a chance making the final with Will. The public love an underdog and he had a lot of goodwill. I wanted Chloe on the main show rather than just one special, Nancy looks...an interesting addition but my favourite female atm is probably still Katya despite some of the mania this series. Whilst I hated the end lift of Mike's paso I do think she tries some creative things they don't always work rather like Aliona did. She was my favourite pro for ages. Gleb had a terrific series with Anita.
On DWTS it was always Mark Ballas and Sharna for me. My favourite contestants who should have won were Lindsay Stirling and James Hinchcliffe. Mark was very creative and should have won an Emmy by now.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 01:21:48

Michelle on twitter said she would have had Charleston and Waltz in the semis (ditching jive, Gio's favourite and AT). Thank you lavenderlady for this snippet.

GoingToWearPantiesLikeAnElf Mon 02-Dec-19 02:16:53

Insomnia, don't mind me. I always forget salsa is speciality not party latin.
(Alex: B L L B S S S L L S (L#)
Chris: L S S L B L S B S L (B#) semis: L B
Emma: L B S B L B L S S B S semis: L B
Karim: L B L B S L B B S S L semis: S S
Kelvin: L B S L L B B S L S S semis: L B
#StreetSamba/MusicaltheatreFox wink

NumbersStation Mon 02-Dec-19 02:34:48

@KitchenDancefloor

Emma a time constrained pita?

I see that.

I think that time constrained should be replaced with constant though.

Should he rise above it? Maybe. But I suspect he is trying and failing.

A ballroom grin only works for the duration of the dance. Plus I’ll bet that gritted teeth is his normal expression in her company - a smile in those circumstances just makes you look like the tortoise in the Creature Comforts animations.

ladybird69 Mon 02-Dec-19 04:23:07

@iklboo if you loved Craig as Dolly. See if you can find him on YouTube doing lipsynk battle. He was fab-u-lous darling 😁

SchadenfreudePersonified Mon 02-Dec-19 06:21:16

I don't understand how and why all the dances seem to be optional now, instead of compulsory. It's an unfair set up.

Me neither Vanya.

The whole set-up is losing it's unique attraction (I wasn't sure if "uniqueosity" was a word, so played safe grin) and becoming just another "reality" show.

If it wasn't for the calming, informed and erudite comments on these threads, I'd stop watching.

SchadenfreudePersonified Mon 02-Dec-19 06:29:17

Agree with every word of melj's post

I’ll bet that gritted teeth is his normal expression in her company

That's called a "rictus" Numbers. I think the Wikipedia description says it all:-

A highly characteristic, abnormal, sustained spasm of the facial muscles that appears to produce grinning. Risus sardonicus may be caused by tetanus, strychnine poisoning or Wilson's disease, and has been reported after judicial hanging

TheMustressMhor Mon 02-Dec-19 06:57:26

Well I've been awake all night and have read all the last thread (yes, every one of the thousand comments) and whatever has been written here as well.

I watched SCD with DS last week. It was the first time he had ever watched it.

He remarked that Emma's eyes were very scary.

Can I ask you all what a "ringer" is?

TheMustressMhor Mon 02-Dec-19 07:00:12

Rictus...….has been reported after judicial hanging

Mmmm.

Puts a new complexion on the expression "that'll wipe the smile off your face" but of course, if the smile is still there despite the hanging then it didn't actually work.

WineOrGinOrBoth Mon 02-Dec-19 08:14:23

Watched both shows back to back late last night as been away for the weekend & catching up on threads this morning.

Really sad Alex is gone - so generous when she went. But I said to dh when watching her dance that the powers clearly wanted her gone. Not keen on Neil.

Switching my votes to Chris now.

Emma & Anton - clearly do not get on.

Cannot warm to Karim at all. That was not the best jive on strictly. Bruno you need to go to specsavers not the audience.

Kelvin hmm not sure.

I feel Motsi has been told not to critique the dances. Probably by Shirley, who I dislike.

Craig is the only judge for me.

Pashazade Mon 02-Dec-19 08:25:13

TheMustress a ringer is someone who has had dance trading prior to the show, often in some cases attended stage school....(looking at you Karim) I don't mind a ringer, but hate it if they try to gloss over the prior experience, as that seems dishonest in a dance competition. grin

Wheresthebeach Mon 02-Dec-19 08:35:32

Sylvia Young school has dance as part of the admissions process, so Karim’s been dancing for ages. Mind you, it doesn’t irritate me anything like as much as Debbie McGee claiming being a professional ballet dancer didn’t give her an advantage. She seriously irritated me.

Clawdy Mon 02-Dec-19 08:40:03

Am I the only one who doesn't really see frostiness between Emma and Anton?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »