The Baby Has Landed

(797 Posts)
Sotiredsomuch Wed 27-Nov-19 21:05:02

Anyone watching?

I love stuff like this.

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 15:38:25

Did she disown you like mine did Cheesecake? blush

LolaLollypop Mon 09-Dec-19 15:48:41

Like I said, it depends on the person. For me, at 20, none of my friends had had babies, I had no nieces/nephews to practice on and didn't really know anything about babies. My mum would have been there to help but not being a BF mum herself probably wouldn't have offered much in that sense.
I had definitely matured much more by 34 and had lots of mummy friends to ask for advice regarding breastfeeding.

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 15:49:37

Meh, agree to disagree. Just feels a bit like a young mum bashing conversation now tbh.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Mon 09-Dec-19 15:54:54

Yes for a few months until I was almost due and then I think she realised how ridiculous she was being and was going to miss out on her first grandchild.

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 16:00:48

Exactly what happened here hmm

Strawberrypancakes Mon 09-Dec-19 16:56:13

I’m in awe of the surrogate.. such a sacrifice.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 09-Dec-19 17:58:41

Is it? I mean I get its a huge thing to do, but she's, from what I gathered, volunteered herself for the job, not even been asked and felt obliged.

Sparklybaublefest Mon 09-Dec-19 18:36:58

Perhaps regardless of her age, because she is living with her mum, she is relying on her mum, and not finding out information for herself.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 09-Dec-19 18:40:53

I can think of lots of young women her age who wouldn't think to look in books etc for parenting advice, theyd just do what their Mom / Nan / Aunts do, or their mates. So much more word of mouth that hours on the Internet or down the library or buying expensive books. Whose natural instinct wouldn't be to breast feed cos culturally that's just not what most people do.
It does mean that support services need to be really hot on making sure they're making informed choices tho

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 18:57:32

I’m sure there are plenty 34 year old mums the same though grin

I think probably it would have been best all round for them not to have lived with her mum. As a PP said maybe she did feel she didn’t need to ‘learn’ anything because her mum was going to be there.

Sparklybaublefest Mon 09-Dec-19 19:05:16

She has probably unintentionally reverted roles

SleepingStandingUp Mon 09-Dec-19 19:22:19

I’m sure there are plenty 34 year old mums the same though we'll yes, I guess in the women I was thinking of, by 34 they'd have stopped having babies or def wouldn't be first time moms

CiaoMay Mon 09-Dec-19 20:22:47

I think if I hadn't had such good breastfeeding support whilst in hospital (we were in for a week) I'd have felt like Syler and thought I wasn't producing enough. My Mum and MIL but thought ds whose now 3 months was feeding too much and said my supply was low. Mum also started me on solids at 9 weeks and doesn't understand why ds isn't! It would be interesting to see what the support from outside is like for each of the families as it varies so much from area to area and can have a huge impact on your choices and confidence!

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 20:33:29

Would be good to see midwife and hv going in to see them.

ColdCottage Mon 09-Dec-19 20:43:43

@SleepingStandingUp most of my friends have been to uni, travelled and established careers. Having a first baby at 34 or even 38 doesn't seem that unusual to me.

CaptainMyCaptain Mon 09-Dec-19 22:10:19

Just watched Episode 2. I was a bit surprised by Syler's mum being in their room and hugging them goodnight. They need a bit of privacy and space. Mo can't win whatever he does, the fuss they made about him giving Ace a bottle.

Azzizam Mon 09-Dec-19 22:10:47

I'm really enjoying Mo. He seems so good natured and considering he's not really sure what he's supposed to actually be doing, he's muddling along as we all do with a new baby.
The babies are so sweet and yes the two E&E boys are beyond adorable. Great program.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 09-Dec-19 22:12:57

@ColdCottage me neither, I was first in my "school" friends at 33 and will be having the last of the batch at 38. But in some areas, it's incredibly unusual. Kids at youth club (which is the young women I was thinking of) used to ask me at 30 why I hadn't had children and why I'd basically left it too late 😂😂

Buyitinbamboo Mon 09-Dec-19 22:13:48

I've just started watching this and enjoying it. I have a 3 week old so kind of feels like I'm going through it all with them.

I love how everyone tries to be quiet around the baby in Misha's family. I have a 3 year old and she certainly doesn't give her brother the same courtesy!

I felt so bad for Syler when she was upset that the baby was struggling with wind and she said she felt guilty for not breastfeeding. I bet different bottles would have helped, we had the same issue when DD was a newborn and had the same bottles. The safe sleeping is an issue though, they should put a disclaimer on. I was 23 when I had DD and I researched safe sleeping so it's not an age thing, some people just wouldn't think to look I guess.

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 22:22:30

Couldn’t be anything to do with the fact they appear the least educated out of all the parents. No it has to be her age.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 09-Dec-19 22:39:27

Tired at risk of being absolutely slaughtered, one could suggest there's a correlation there. The young women i spoke of who thought i'd missed my chance to have kids cos i was 30 and childless, who i didn't think would research safe sleeping etc and would rely on their own parents wisdom live in an area of poor educational attainment, low employment etc. They're much more LIKELY to have babies young than in areas where Uni is standard, although of course many young parents are highly educated and many older parents are very uneducated etc.

doadeer Mon 09-Dec-19 22:45:40

I felt so sorry for Skylar with the breastfeeding I was wishing a health visitor or someone would help her. She needs advice and support and her family aren't able to give that. Really felt for her

Tiredandgrumpytonight Mon 09-Dec-19 22:56:45

So background is the root ‘issue’ then rather than age because chances are even a middle of the road mum aged 28 say, might make the same mistakes and assumptions as Syler.

@doadeer only seen the two episodes that have aired so far and not sure how old the baby is in it but you’d think if he was still really young there would be someone out almost daily (if he’s under two weeks or so) and she’d be able to alleviate these concerns with them. Although maybe that’s was happening and it wasn’t enough. I harped on for days that my youngest was definitely, absolutely 100% blind. She wasn’t.

CiaoMay Mon 09-Dec-19 23:11:18

I think it said 7 days old on screen at some point but I might have dreamt that!

titnomatani Mon 09-Dec-19 23:42:50

Whatever the socioeconomic background or age, safe sleeping guidance is everywhere- from the information pack you first get at your booking in appointment, plastered all over the walls of antenatal clinics and any antenatal classes you're offered (free at the hospital- not just paid for classes). Then when you're at the hospital, the midwives/nurses will model how to put your baby to sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »