yellowitsme Wed 27-Nov-19 21:16:41

Me 👋🏼

BlessedBeTheFruitCake Wed 27-Nov-19 21:20:35

I'm watching, love a baby program.

Cucumberinginplease Wed 27-Nov-19 21:26:57

Meeeeeee! It's like OBEM with extras 😁

Sotiredsomuch Wed 27-Nov-19 21:40:00

It’s brilliant!

Can’t wait to see the gay couple with their babies.

Sotiredsomuch Wed 27-Nov-19 21:47:15

The lady with 5 kids is a pro.

FrenchSchnoodle Wed 27-Nov-19 21:57:49

Flipping loving this

CurlsandCurves Wed 27-Nov-19 21:59:11

Loving it.

I absolutely adore babies but I do love watching these programmes knowing how lucky I’ve been to have my children. And to never have to go through it all again 😆

Mammyloveswine Wed 27-Nov-19 22:11:16

So pleased there's a thread!

Anyway here's my thoughts so far...

So many SIDS risks with syler and mo... especially the smoking! But also the blankets in the crib.

The woman with 5 kids looked to me like she struggled, the kids seemed overwhelmed and the dad seemed like he couldn't give a shit reading the bedtime story. But I imagine that the added pressure of the cameras didn't help at all. So I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

The surrogate I was so surprised by! The two gay men, I'm sorry but seems like they are buying accessories. I hope I'm wrong. I suppose they are the stereotype of a gay couplet using a surrogate. I felt so sorry for the woman's husband. And the two older children will no doubt adapt but will be confused. And as for the surrogate, she works with the gay guy. Hats of to her. I couldn't do it.

The two boys, Elijah and Ezrah were just the sweetest! What a lovely family they all seem!

Loving it! Shame it's not all on iplayer!

Deepblueriver Wed 27-Nov-19 22:20:45

Oh I wondered if there was a thread on this!
Elijah and Ezra are so sweet. I really felt for their mum when she was crying because she was overdue.

The thing that gets me about the family with 5 children is the age gap. They are all so tiny. Do they have 5 under 5? The littlest is about the size of my baby and I couldn’t imagine having another one yet.

EleanorReally Wed 27-Nov-19 22:24:33

i hated seeing the car seat and the pram on surfaces like that, made me anxious.
and the smoking, fgs wash your hands or something

Sotiredsomuch Wed 27-Nov-19 22:27:31

I felt really sorry for the husband too. Would be such a strange thing to go through.

I’m not sure if it was quite 5 under 5 but close to it! I loved their second youngest little daughter. She seemed like a character and I love kids at that age.

The pram carry cot on the worktop made me anxious and also the baby lying in the pillow thing on the worktop too. Do babies really need to be on the worktop ever? grin

The two little boys were so lovely!

It’s making me very broody.

Sparklehorse82 Wed 27-Nov-19 22:47:39

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was shouting about SIDs at the TV.

I loved it but I've been ttc my second for a while now and got my period again today ffs so tbh I shouldn't have watched. I feel quite tearful now. I long for another squidgy newborn in my arms.

The family of 5 - Jesus, hats off to them. My DH and I talk all the time about whether we could realistically manage 2 lol

TheUnquestionedAnswer Wed 27-Nov-19 23:13:39

The dad of five seemed a bit stressed. Amazing to see the gay couple watch the reveal of the preg test. I wonder if they have classes to show them what to do ie nappy changing etc

Pro 5 mum, no screeching or any bad language grin

EleanorReally Thu 28-Nov-19 06:25:13

The water birth, admittedly 5th, looked impressively easy!

WaterSheep Thu 28-Nov-19 06:46:51

The surrogate I was so surprised by! The two gay men, I'm sorry but seems like they are buying accessories.

I was also surprised by the surrogate. Her children really weren't that old, so I wonder how they will adapt when she comes home without the babies. I also wonder how involved they will be, her husband seemed reluctant, but she works with one of the dads.

Mo and Syler were frustrating viewing. The SIDS risks, the smoking, and the baby on the work surfaces. I feel like they would do better in a place of their own away from her family. It felt like a very chaotic environment.

CurlsandCurves Thu 28-Nov-19 09:13:49

The family of 5 had an au pair, so that will take some of the strain off.

The gay couple. One of the guys describing how they didn’t get a decent nights sleep for about a month when the pugs arrived. Only a month? They’re in for a shock then when the baby arrives 😆

Mammyloveswine Thu 28-Nov-19 09:36:15

@CurlsandCurves I laughed at the perfect cushions on the sofa grin

Mo seems immature, I know they are young but he doesn't seem like he's going to cope very well. Syler I actually thought seems quite natural!

I do love how sylers family embraced mo though! Also his English was great, he has developed a local accent too. Made me smile.

The visitors at the hospital though!

Drum2018 Thu 28-Nov-19 09:45:56

They’re in for a shock then when the baby arrives

Babies grin Isn't she having twins? I cringed watching him show off the converse/Uggs. Hope they have thought to buy useful things like nappies too hmm

I'd say Mo and Syler will have a few issues. Her mother seems too involved. I agree they need their own place.

Mammyloveswine Thu 28-Nov-19 09:48:15

@Drum2018 yes to the uggs and converse!

ValancyRedfern Thu 28-Nov-19 09:56:47

I caught a bit of this but couldn't bear to watch it. It brought the awfulness of having a newborn back to me so strongly. #neveragain

Dramaofallama Thu 28-Nov-19 10:44:34

I watched it also, interesting to see how others are adapting to newborns.
I currently have a 3 day old.

Mammyloveswine Thu 28-Nov-19 10:49:09

@Dramaofallama congratulations! I love the newborn days! If they stayed newborns I'd have a dozen!

2 year olds on the other hand... grin

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 28-Nov-19 10:54:01

Mo made me really angry, the smoking the leaving Syler to look after the baby in the night. And that blanket! Why did the midwifes/hv not explain safe sleeping to them?

SnugglySnerd Thu 28-Nov-19 10:55:14

I loved this last night. I was also worried about all the smoking and that blanket!

I quite enjoyed seeing families in their normal homes with toys and things everywhere. It made me feel like my house is ok. I think I compare it too much with the show home type images you normally see on property programmes!

The water birth looked so easy. I'm sure it wasn't but nice to see. I loved her little toddler. So cute!

I felt sorry for the surrogate's dh and also for her when the time comes to hand over the babies she's been carrying. I could not do that. I wondered if the gay couple had each donated sperm for ivf and if so if they have biologically fathered one twin each.

NoSauce Thu 28-Nov-19 11:15:20

Syler’s mum is annoying. Felt sorry for Mo, give the man a chance!

emmaw1405 Thu 28-Nov-19 12:56:02

I had 4 under 5 and I'm glad that I'm not the only one that lives in a bit of chaos and noise!

I thought the surrogate and her husband both looked really uncomfortable when she was having her belly felt!

MintyT Thu 28-Nov-19 15:53:35

I loved it too, but Mo MIL I didn't like much,

Nannewnannew Thu 28-Nov-19 16:45:16

I absolutely adore Elijah and Ezra, they were so cute when their Mum was crying. Such a lovely family.

BenScalesIsAGod Thu 28-Nov-19 17:04:01

MIL from hell!!

Nextphonewontbesamsung Thu 28-Nov-19 17:26:46

I thought Mo's mil was completely awful! He needs to quite smoking but so does she. She's just so mouthy and opinionated and spouting absolute crap. And her house! cringe.

Ezra and Elijah made me wish I have small children in the house again. What absolutely gorgeous kids, so lovely.

The family with 5 children otoh are out of control. Their 2 older children should have been able to sit still for a minute to have a picture taken (I know they are still young but they are old enough). I feel sad for the youngest baby girl before the newborn in that family. She has been the baby for such a short time.

As for the 2 Dads ... I suppose it's the editing but they seriously don't seem to have a clue about what they are doing. Baby Converse ffs! How can people who are at least in their 30s be so clueless?

Can't wait for next week's episode.

fonxey Thu 28-Nov-19 18:15:33

Syler's mum annoyed me too! I do love the idea of close families, but there's a time when you actually need to step away from your other and be your own person.

Syler send to still rely very much on her. Mo is from a very different culture, but seems to be trying, but gets no help, if the opposite from his in laws.

The gay couple yeah... Babies aren't toy dogs, they aren't fashion accessories! However I'm sure that's in the editing as well. They emphasised their DIY ineptitude a lot. And it must also be rather surreal for them. They don't have to live with a pregnancy so all they have to do is nest and prepare. I'm sure they have all the essentials, they've just got a little over excited and it's all they can do. Oregon the same with many having children through surrogate.

I loved Ezrah and Elijah and their parents. They seemed like the most normal ones! As couple they seemed really good together and happy. And as parents really good too.

Sotiredsomuch Thu 28-Nov-19 18:31:38

There were parts of Mo I didn’t like but it doesn’t seem like a lot of the way he was might be due to his heritage and I think a lot of the time he was just trying to be funny. My OH is like that and I just roll my eyes. I disliked his wife more tbh, she just seemed like a whinge but late pregnancy and early motherhood is hard so I’ll wait until I make my mind up about her.

vivacian Thu 28-Nov-19 19:40:42

Glad that there's a thread about this.

I really liked the gay couple and the superhero family. I loved both of their households and families.
I liked mum-of-five's cool, but the chaos! Just watching them take the photo stressed me out.

I'm afraid I really couldn't warm to Syler's family. I do think that Syler and Mo would be better off living in their own space. And the smoking sad

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 19:43:12

I thought mumsnet was meant to be a place of support but clearly not your all just judgemental! I was never told about the safe sleeping until ace was around 6 weeks old! So instead of slagging a new first time mum off why not show some support? You have only seen 20 minutes out of 6 weeks of filming so far! I just hope your kids don’t read these awful comments!!

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 19:45:12

Just to clear it up ace is 8.5 months now sleeps in a sleeping bag at the foot of the crib! You ain’t gonna agree with everyone’s parenting ways but please think about how this makes another mother/human feel when reading these!

Sotiredsomuch Thu 28-Nov-19 19:48:09

I don’t think any of these are particularly ‘awful comments’ Syler. People are just giving their opinion which we are entitled to do.

You can’t go on TV then get upset because not everyone agrees with everything you did.

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 19:49:51

So what there saying about my mother isn’t awful? Everyone is entitled to there opinion but no need to be so personal about someone you don’t know

Sotiredsomuch Thu 28-Nov-19 19:53:49

I think you’ve done the wrong thing coming on here looking for this thread tbh.

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 19:55:31

I didn’t come on here looking it got sent to me so I’m clearly going to come then and look

WendyMoiraAngelaDarling Thu 28-Nov-19 20:01:54

* I just hope your kids don’t read these awful comments!!*

Why? What might happen? They're not awful comments at all. Nothing I would be worried about my child seeing...

Fwiw though I thought your family were ok. I'm from Nottingham myself so warmed to you because of that I suppose. Must be tensions all living under the same roof as you do but you all seem close and loving. I did judge the constant smoking then picking the baby up I have to admit but as you say we only saw a small portion of your lives on the programme. You seem like a caring and loving mother and MNetters can be a bit snobby so don't worry about it smile

WendyMoiraAngelaDarling Thu 28-Nov-19 20:05:19

FWIW the gay couple were the most annoying to me. Totally unrealistic and unprepared and I think all the adults involved in that situation haven't given anywhere near enough thought to how all the children involved will be affected.

MoltoAgitato Thu 28-Nov-19 20:06:16

Find it a bit odd to go on nationwide tv and then get a bit funny about people talking about it.

Can’t agree with surrogacy at all - think it’s abhorrent to have a baby only to take it away from it’s mother.

MidnightMystery Thu 28-Nov-19 20:06:59

I love shows like this, Thankyou watching it on catch up now!

Sotiredsomuch Thu 28-Nov-19 20:08:00

People said nice things about your family too. I think you’re being a bit unfair.

marmitemayonnaise Thu 28-Nov-19 20:10:46

I really enjoyed the first episode. I've found the first few weeks with a newborn totally knocked me sideways, particularly with my first so I hope they reflect some of that in the show.

The family with five kids, wow. Since having our second I applaud anyone willing to go through the first year more than once or twice.

I was really shocked to see the family where the dad and grandmother were smoking, I was surprised they showed that as I imagine the family will receive some harsh judgement for that.

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 28-Nov-19 20:25:51

Syler if you read my post you will see I questioned the midwife/health visitor not yourself re the blanket.

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 28-Nov-19 20:27:14

And the smoking admittedly but that wasn’t yourself.

titnomatani Thu 28-Nov-19 20:35:30

I loved both granddads in Syler's family but do think Syler and her mum were bullying Mo- the way they spoke to him was disturbing. Maybe there's a big backstory but to talk to him they way they did was out of order. Also, the couple seemed really detached. Felt uneasy about the blankets thing too.

The gay couple annoyed me- could they be anymore stereotypical? The whole talking to the dogs like they were babies was weird. I don't think they know what's coming with twins. And, the surrogate lady's husband- there are some major unresolved issues there.

The parents of five sent shivers down my spine- they are very brave but I couldn't help but think the couple were living the wife's dream and the husband would've wanted things differently.

FluffOffFFS Thu 28-Nov-19 20:39:19

@SylerB How are things? Have you recovered from the birth? I had a planned section due to the baby being breech, was it the same for you?

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 20:51:15

I feel like the comments about my mum are awful maybe I just feel that way bcz she is my mum and it’s not nice reading these things about the people you love. My husband and mum both smoke but always wash there hands before handling baby (you don’t see that) and he hardly ever puts a fag out then goes straight to handling the baby. I understand everyone has opinions and not everyone’s going to agree but they literally taken 20 minutes out of 100’s of hours of filming

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 20:52:02

@FluffOffFFS I’m good now thank you had an emergency c-section due to too much fluid around the baby they was unable to pop my waters

SylerB Thu 28-Nov-19 20:52:22

@FluffOffFFS hope your okay!?

FluffOffFFS Thu 28-Nov-19 21:03:51

I'm fine thanks! Wasn't clear from the programme why you had a section, hence my questionsmile

What made you go on the programme? How have people responded in real life?

NoSauce Thu 28-Nov-19 21:10:48

How odd to go on the telly but get annoyed when people on a public forum talk about you or people in your family.

MidnightMystery Thu 28-Nov-19 21:31:15

Just finished the first episode,

I love the Nkrumah family and cannot wait to see the arrival next week. Lovely family and such sweet boys!

What was the couple putting together was it a crib? It looked square I'm confused grin
The surrogates husband looked uncomfortable and I really couldn't give over babies I've carried, I hope she's ok after as she also looked uncomfortable when they was at the fathers house.

The family with five children , the part where they was taking tho photo was hilarious and stressful to watch!

Literally shed a tear when everyone was getting emotional when they saw Sylers baby.
I think it's great they have support around them.

Roll on next week!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 21:38:17

I’ve just watched this.

grin @ dad of 5 saying he’s really organised! Kids running out into the drive, toddlers swinging on an open stair gate at the top of the stairs, they couldn’t even manage to get their DC to sit for 10 seconds for a photo! There is very little organised about that house!

I feel like they would do better in a place of their own away from her family. It felt like a very chaotic environment.

I thought it seemed like a very supportive environment with loads of love to go round. The family with 5 kids was chaotic!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 21:43:28

I was never told about the safe sleeping until ace was around 6 weeks old!

Tbf syler that information is everywhere when you’re pregnant and your midwife absolutely will have discussed that with you. Sorry but there is absolutely no excuse not to know about SIDS guidelines if you are pregnant in the U.K.

Butternutsqoosh Thu 28-Nov-19 21:43:54

Adored the two little boys, they made my eyes leak! I actually know the two dads and they are doing a wonderful job and those are two very lucky little girls. Mel is so grounded and down to earth, three nicer people you couldn't meet. As for the baby converse and baby uggs, we all like to get cute and unnecessary things for our kids, doesn't make us bad parents!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 21:46:55

Can’t agree with surrogacy at all - think it’s abhorrent to have a baby only to take it away from it’s mother.

(I apologise in advance to anyone who has used or been a surrogate- this is only my own personal feelings)

I find surrogacy really creepy. I think it’s such an odd concept. Personally I could never donate eggs or produce a baby that I wouldn’t be raising as I would never forgive myself if the people who raised it ever harmed it.

CaptainMyCaptain Thu 28-Nov-19 21:49:17

I didn't think Syler's mum was bullying Mo. I thought she was saying 'if you don't want to be at the birth say now but don't say you will and then change your mind at the last minute'. I wouldn't want to live with my mum and grandad but the family seemed very loving and supportive.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 21:53:12

The two little boys are absolutely adorable. getting his mum a tissue when she cried and telling her they’re best friend!! Awww What lovely children they are and you can totally see it all comes from their parents. The prayer before bed followed by the “happy” thing was lovely.

ememem84 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:54:38

I absolutely adore Elijah and Ezra, they were so cute when their Mum was crying. Such a lovely family

Yep. Me too.

I’d never want another baby. Dd is 4 months old now and the very little newborn stage scared the hell out of me. I remember feeling the same when ds (now 2) was born.

The family with 5 kids. Nope. That is a lot. Not for me.

I thought that the way Mo was spoken to about being there for the delivery wasn’t fair. But nice to see he was there in the end.

And the surrogate. I couldn’t do it. I think it’s a lovely thing she’s doing but just wonder how it’ll be emotionally for her and the kids.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 21:57:32

Was anyone else instantly stressed every time the newborns cried? grin maybe that’s just me. I kept saying “make it stop!!” It’s been a long time since I’ve had a newborn! grin

whatsinthebagwhatcoulditbe Thu 28-Nov-19 22:02:08

I loved this programme. Just a bunch of really normal, nice people all trying their best. It brought me straight back to those intense, crazy first few days after birth. I really enjoyed the variety of different stories too. I hope they keep the surrogate mum and her family in the documentary as well as the babies and the gay dads.

I agree the absolute stars of the show were Elijah and Ezra. What gorgeous kids! They are an absolute credit to their parents.

FluffOffFFS Thu 28-Nov-19 22:04:43

Cheesecake I kept thinking "I remember that" and "thank fuck that's not mine crying, I hated that"grin

vivacian Thu 28-Nov-19 22:12:17

I didn't think Syler's mum was bullying Mo. I thought she was saying 'if you don't want to be at the birth say now but don't say you will and then change your mind at the last minute'.

She was right in what she said, but it wasn't for her to say it. I know she was thinking about her daughter but it was for Syler and Mo to work out for themselves. (And all of the "joking" about knocking him around the bedroom and calling the police herself hmm It'd be different if he had family around too, or could get some space in his own home, but he's not in a strong position so I found her humour unfunny. Imagine if the sexes were reversed).

Nextphonewontbesamsung Thu 28-Nov-19 22:12:38

You didn't know about SIDS guidelines until your baby was 6 weeks old? Have you been living under a rock?

titnomatani Thu 28-Nov-19 22:12:44

* I didn't think Syler's mum was bullying Mo.*

As I stated in my original post, unless there's a back story of him bailing at the last minute/being unreliable in other ways, there really is no excuse to speak to someone like that. Either that, or both ladies have a terrible way of putting their points (no matter how valid) across. Mo looked as if he was backed against a wall. Didn't like his comment 'it's my way in Egypt and Sylers way here'. I haven't got a clue what that was referring to...

vivacian Thu 28-Nov-19 22:13:47

I'm surprised that the two dads are coming in for so much stick. Houseproud people can make great parents too you know!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:14:45

Yeah I didn’t find any of that funny either. He’s entirely on his own there in that family. I know he is part of the family but if it came down to it they will all take sylers side. They do need to get their own place and learn to parent by themselves.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:16:19

When the first clip of Sylers mum berating Mo was on I thought they were a separated couple and he’d been messing her around or something. The Mum seemed really angry with him.

Haffdonga Thu 28-Nov-19 22:17:15

@SylerB thank you for coming on this thread and telling us your side of the story. What on earth was it like having the cameras and crew in your home all through such emotional and exciting times.

FWIW I don't think your mum comes across as bullying at all. She comes across as properly protective of you and she was clearly worried that Mo wouldn't cope with the birth and let you down by avoiding it. I'm sure he (and you) must be so pleased that he managed to be with you all the way through. He does come across as struggling the most with being a parent though. I hope he's pulling his weight and you're both enjoying parenthood.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:17:22

I love a nice “houseproud home” grin people taking care of their home is a good thing not to be sneered at.

NoSauce Thu 28-Nov-19 22:19:52

I wonder if the person who told Syler about this thread is posting on it now....

Sotiredsomuch Thu 28-Nov-19 22:24:07

@IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory that’s exactly what I thought too

LolaLollypop Thu 28-Nov-19 22:25:45

I'm pretty sure if there were cameras following the majority of us with our newborns there would be a few critics too.

The gay guys were great - agree they would have had such a shock once two screaming, pooing little girls enter their lives! I felt sorry for the surrogates husband, he claimed it was all her idea and he had nothing to do with it. A work friend too! I dunno... I'd have to be so close with someone to carry their child for them. I asked my OH what he'd say if I told him I was carrying a work friends baby. The air turned blue! 😆

The family of 5 made me a bit sad. watching their youngest who must have only been about 1 herself reaching out for her mummy and crying. I just don't get why people want to pop out kids in such quick succession. Don't you want to enjoy each one individually?

Yes there were things that Syler's family did that I wouldn't personally, like we've all said, the smoking around a baby is a big no-no! But the look on the uncle/granddads face when meeting little Ace. That boy is going to be well loved and cared for.

vivacian Thu 28-Nov-19 22:31:17

I wonder if the person who told Syler about this thread is posting on it now...

I wondered what their motivation was.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:32:13

The family of 5 made me a bit sad. watching their youngest who must have only been about 1 herself reaching out for her mummy and crying.

Yep. I don’t know why they even tried to get a photo just then. It could’ve waited until the toddler had had a hug from her mum who she hadn’t seen in a couple do days and has just walked in with a new baby! I mean those kids had no interest in sitting For a bloody photo but the parents and au pair kept yapping at them to sit apiece. Totally the wrong time for photos. Kids were far too hyped.

Nextphonewontbesamsung Thu 28-Nov-19 22:53:10

I did laugh out loud at the dad asking his wife if she wanted anything ironed as she was in full-on labour grin. I thought she was very restrained in response!

vivacian Thu 28-Nov-19 22:57:16

At least he wasn’t asking her crossword clues!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:57:21

grin she was so patient with him!! I loved him folding the same clothes over and over again. He was so restless.

MyDcAreMarvel Fri 29-Nov-19 00:49:16

Don't you want to enjoy each one individually?
What a strange thing to say, I “ enjoy” my twins very much. And would you stop “enjoying” your four year old if you had another child?

NoSauce Fri 29-Nov-19 07:08:03

What a strange thing to say, I “ enjoy” my twins very much. And would you stop “enjoying” your four year old if you had another child?

Not strange at all. Having twins or a four year old and another child is nothing like having 5 children under the age they were. Total madness.

LolaLollypop Fri 29-Nov-19 07:25:36

You know what I mean. Having twins is completely different to consciously having five babies in quick succession. Twins have their own lovely benefits of growing up together.

WaterSheep Fri 29-Nov-19 08:30:40

I know a twin mum who says she felt like she didn't have time to enjoy each child individually. Having two at once was difficult, and she spent their first year in survival mode getting through one day at a time. Now they are older she loves the bond they have, and how once a stage is passed she never has to revisit it. However, the first year was anything but enjoyable.

SylerB1 Fri 29-Nov-19 09:28:42

I did deactivate my account but then I got sent this so thought I’d come back on to reply. So having the cameras fixed in the house does have added pressure to start with but then you do forget they are there. In the opening scene what viewers haven’t seen is that it’s my 3rd day in slow labour I’ve had no sleep neither has mum Mo has slept each night haha! Not bashing him I just said you may as well sleep... Mo did have someone here from Egypt but they never made it into the final cut. I know people are going to have opinions some we don’t agree with that’s absolutely fine but some comments about me and my mum have been personal (on all different forums) which I feel is unfair as you don’t know us personally! I think next week Mo feeds Ace for the first time and let’s just say it doesn’t go well I’m like Mo your not doing it right, a few ounces at a time bcz of wind etc I’ll get bashed for that probably but what you may not see it Ace cried for 2 hours solid after because he struggled with his wind.... and guess who had to comfort him??? Not Mo😂 Mo is way more involved now and we are loving parenthood! I didn’t come on here to get into an argument in happy to take on board any advice just sometimes think if the shoe was on the other foot would you be okay reading comments like some about you and your loved ones

NoSauce Fri 29-Nov-19 09:38:29

I understand it must be difficult to read about yourself and family online, but what did you expect? You’ve put yourself out there on TV!
People will form opinions based on what they’re seeing. Of course it’s just a snapshot and not your whole life but you could do with growing a thicker skin or maybe not read MN so you’re not upset or offended.

Wanted to say though your baby boy is beautiful and I hope you‘re enjoying being a mummy.

SylerB1 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:01:05

@NoSauce I don’t know what I expected never really felt real until we watched it haha I don’t know what on the next 3 weeks... as I said I got sent some things from here so I’m clearly going to come and look😂 my skin is now thicker I won’t read anymore of this thread makes it easier haha!

Thank you I’m loving being a mummy it’s the best feeling ever isn’t it?

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Fri 29-Nov-19 10:02:55

I think if you go on tv you have to be sure your skin is thick enough to take what people will say. There are millions of people in the U.K. and they’re all different from all walks of life so of course some will disagree with the way you do things. And of course they don’t see behind the scenes- they can only discuss what they see. So while you’re frustrated that people don’t know you so shouldn’t say anything- that’s not how it works when you put yourself out there. You’re inviting comment. You have to expect it and accept that not everyone will have nice comments to make- that doesn’t make them wrong- it’s just their opinion on what you put out there. A thicker skin will help you not to care what they think.

vivacian Fri 29-Nov-19 10:08:20

would you be okay reading comments like some about you and your loved ones

No, I wouldn’t. So I wouldn’t go on tv.

I don’t think that you’ve had a rough ride on here. No personal comments (as there shouldn’t be) and the comments that were made (such as all of that smoking around a baby) were fair.

lynsey91 Fri 29-Nov-19 11:03:27

The two little boys were lovely and I really liked the gay couple.

The couple with 5 children just made me think thank god I haven't got children. The bit where they were trying to take a photo was just crazy. I really think they are crazy not just to have 5 children but to have them so close together. They can't get enough individual attention.

Syler and Mo need their own place. Living with her family with a baby is never going to work.

Elkamionko Fri 29-Nov-19 13:08:55

Being first time parents is hard as it is I couldn’t imagine having cameras filming your every move aswell! I think slyer and mo did a great job considering it wasn’t an easy labour. Many parents are smokers and it wasn’t shown in the programme that they held the baby straight after doing so or smoked around the baby so I’m not sure why so many negative comments on that, When I had my little girl there were quite a few different opinions on how they should sleep (blanket, no blankets, swaddled, sleeping bags) there’s always going to be people telling you different ways are the right ways and not matter what you do there’s always going to be people telling you it’s wrong, I think it’s so lovely to see all the different types of families and how they’re all coping, yes everyone has their own opinions but this series is real people and real lives, no need to hate when everyone is trying their best ❤️

vivacian Fri 29-Nov-19 13:36:26

The only thing close to hate has been the surprise around SIDS-related behaviour and when it comes to SIDS I’m not sure that, “your babz your rulez hun xxx” is that helpful.

Elkamionko Fri 29-Nov-19 14:40:29

I’m not sure you’ve been reading the same thread then, saying the mother in low is ‘awful’ and ‘annoying’ is hate. Or saying ‘I don’t like the wife’ or the ‘the husband is immature’ is also hate, the comments haven’t just been about SIDS. If people are this angry and mean after 20 minutes then I dread to think what will happen after a few more episodes have been on, mumsnet isn’t for slagging off parents, or is it? I can’t tell.

Elkamionko Fri 29-Nov-19 14:41:04

Mother in law*

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Fri 29-Nov-19 14:42:36

None of those comments are “hate” hmm

wonderstuff Fri 29-Nov-19 14:59:02

I loved this! I did wince at the thick blankets, glad all is well now. I thought Mo's interaction with the granddads was lovely!

I did laugh when the gay couple announced themselves 'ready' no ones ready! They're in for a shock, but I'm sure they'll be great. I did shout at the telly when I saw the contented baby book (are we allowed to mention that on here again now?).

Angelil Fri 29-Nov-19 18:46:45

Enjoyed this first episode.

Funny though about the thick blankets. You would all have an absolute fit if you saw what they wrapped my baby up in when I had him in the Netherlands last year. Bed sack, thick blanket and...wait for it...hot water bottle in the crib with him too. Yep.

Angelil Fri 29-Nov-19 18:48:13

Oh and they had him keep his hat on indoors all the time too. Wasn't until he was a few weeks old that someone on Mumsnet told me I didn't need him to have his hat on all the time. First baby shock

It's just that guidance in different countries can vary so radically.
I was also told I couldn't have a bath until the lochia had stopped.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »