Talk

Advanced search

Dawson's Creek is really crap

(63 Posts)
MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 26-Nov-19 21:41:49

I was so excited to watch this again right from the beginning as I saw it was on catch up. I explained to teenage ds how everyone used to watch it on Sunday mornings while nursing a hangover from the night before.

We watched the first 10 mins, he rolled his eyes and left the room and I turned it off... it was direconfusedsad

How did we watch such nonsense? Joey and Dawson were actually talking about the fact they have 'genetailia and body hair' now so they shouldn't sleep in the same bed, the script was toe curlingly cringe worthy!

So disappointing,I wish I'd kept it as a lovely memory.

WheresThatCatGoneNow Wed 27-Nov-19 00:42:33

James VDB is nice to look at though..... wink

iwantavuvezela Wed 27-Nov-19 00:44:14

Where did you watch it on? I feel like a re watch!

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 27-Nov-19 07:49:02

It's been on 4 catch.

James VDB is a mere child, can't believe we perved over any of them!

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 27-Nov-19 07:49:28

** it's on 4 catch up

StoorieHoose Wed 27-Nov-19 08:14:17

It has not aged well. I recently binge watched the o.c. which I enjoyed but I too could only rewatch the first ep.of Dawson's creek. Far too Ernest for teenagers!

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Wed 27-Nov-19 08:15:51

But Pacey!! shock

titsmcghee27 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:16:56

When I was a teenager they all seemed so deep and intelligent. Not so much now....

BeverlyGoldbergsHairAndJumpers Wed 27-Nov-19 08:17:23

His liaison with the teacher shock

Xiaoxiong Wed 27-Nov-19 08:24:12

I rewatched some old Gossip Girl episodes the other day and there was an affair with a teacher in that too! Times certainly have changed on that front.

theendoftheendoftheend Wed 27-Nov-19 08:27:18

I always thought James VDB was so unattractive and badly cast I couldn't buy into it, just looked him up now and no sure why I objected to him so strongly.
Did have a crush on Pacey though

Verily1 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:29:34

Pacey mmmmm

burnoutbabe Wed 27-Nov-19 08:34:56

Pacey is still fine :-)
Maybe I will catch up with it from the final season. So they are older and more busy Phillips.

WheresThatCatGoneNow Wed 27-Nov-19 11:12:29

Yes, James VDB is far better-looking nowadays. Maturity (and a stubble beard)suits him very well.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 27-Nov-19 15:02:13

Pacey is might fine in The Affair.wink

x2boys Thu 28-Nov-19 10:30:55

Yes Pacey! anyone remember that's episode where they all.got stuck on some creepy island ?I think it was a rip off of Blair witch

RevIMJolly Thu 28-Nov-19 20:13:21

I've just rewatched the first few seasons, and I can't believe how creepy Dawson is and just how much in love Joey and Pacey were. They were brilliant together.

I think I missed the season where they were dating the first time round, so had no real feel for just how much she adored him. It makes the fact that she seems pretty oblivious to him later a bit more puzzling.

KeithPartridge Thu 28-Nov-19 20:33:45

Loved the first series but then it was all downhill.

Babybel90 Thu 28-Nov-19 22:09:12

I think the dialogue was always toe curlingly awful, I could never watch it the first time around.

VanyaHargreeves Thu 28-Nov-19 22:15:05

Yes, I bought the first 2 series boxset DVDs when they came out and don't think I got through 2 episodes from sheer cringe and yet once watched it avidly every Sunday. I couldn't even sit through it to see if it improved as it did in my memory when focus switched to Pacey

The slut shaming of Jen was something else as well.

DippyAvocado Thu 28-Nov-19 22:23:31

I binge re-watched the lot and really enjoyed it! It was a bit dated and Dawson was a moany twat but I thought that the first time round too.

Wrigleys123 Thu 28-Nov-19 22:24:50

I remember watching when I was younger, mainly for Pacey, and never understanding half of what they were saying!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:26:13

James VDB is nice to look at though.

shock

What?? No!!

Pacey. And then jack. But Dawson???? confused

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:29:07

I have all the seasons on DVD and have watched it countless times. I now get bored before they get the university stuff. I usually only watch for the Joey and pacey saga. Dawson is horrendous. Spoilt whiney creepy possessive. Gatekeeper of joeys virginity. Yuck.

DippyAvocado Thu 28-Nov-19 22:30:15

To be fair, he has improved with age.

Redshoeblueshoe Thu 28-Nov-19 22:30:22

I used to watch it with my teenage kids, didn't stop me loving Pacey blush

VanyaHargreeves Thu 28-Nov-19 22:32:17

Imagine an AIBU from Dawson though

I have a thing for the new girl next door, but she's not a virgin and so probably a slag, and I'm hot and cold about her. it has really hurt my female best friend and she is being childish and jealous, which I get off on, I would go mad with rage if she dated my male best friend though, because the world revolves around me and she is obviously my property still

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Thu 28-Nov-19 22:35:08

Yes vanya! grin

Remember that scene at the fairground where pacey first asked Dawson if it would be ok if he asked Joey out and Dawson says yes. And then No! And then yes again hmm that was before anything had ever even happened with Dawson and Joey!

Doingtheboxerbeat Thu 28-Nov-19 22:37:08

I just couldn't stand 10 minutes of it back in the day. I thought it was the biggest load of pretentious wank and I used to shout at the telly NOBODY SPEAKS LIKE THAT.

RevIMJolly Thu 28-Nov-19 23:24:30

Oh but Pacey saying “I remember everything...”

I swooned.

VanyaHargreeves Thu 28-Nov-19 23:28:43

And when they read to each other at night on the boat 😍

x2boys Fri 29-Nov-19 11:41:21

He has definitely improved with age ,@DippyAvacado

Mintypea5 Fri 29-Nov-19 11:44:18

I've got a new born so been rewatching the box sets on sky during the long nights. Just finished season 3 ... Pacey 😍 Joshua Jackson has been my life long crush grin

x2boys Fri 29-Nov-19 11:48:52

I.wasent a teen I was about 24/25 when I first saw this but I did think Pacey was hotblush but actually he's only about 4 and a half years younger than me so he must have been around 20 when the series first started ?

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Fri 29-Nov-19 12:41:30

Oh but Pacey saying “I remember everything...”

I swooned.

God yes. Amazing.

I’m convinced they had planned Joey and pacey from the very start. They just obviously couldn’t give it up to the audience straight away. There had to be the build up and the drama making it a massive storyline.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Fri 29-Nov-19 12:42:51

I think they were all in their 20’s apart from Michelle Williams who was 15/16ish?

Kerr Smith was something like 24 when he joined as 16/17 year old jack! grin

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 29-Nov-19 13:46:04

I think the chemistry between Pacey and Joey was there because the two of them were together in real life.

CmdrCressidaDuck Fri 29-Nov-19 13:54:57

God, it really is awful. How did we not see it then? I loved it as a teen. Cringe.

JvbB was hilarious playing (and taking the piss out of) himself on the sitcom Don't Trust the Bitch though. Look it up, it's awesome and stars Krysten Ritter aka Jessica Jones.

SarahTancredi Fri 29-Nov-19 13:56:58

It hasn't aged well at all has it.

God how controlling was dawson. Dodnt want Joey but didnt want anyone else to have her either. And it's nothing to do with him if she slept with pacey or not..

Far to many massive public displays or big gestures, not enough just being there....

x2boys Fri 29-Nov-19 14:11:15

Were they Georgie, I can't remember wether I knew about that or not ,she stuck with I'm rather than Tom Cruise !

WheresThatCatGoneNow Fri 29-Nov-19 20:04:24

CheesecakeFactory - James VDB is much better looking nowadays wink

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Fri 29-Nov-19 20:12:59

Yes he’s certainly improved with age. I’ll give you that.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Fri 29-Nov-19 20:13:19

grin

iklboo Fri 29-Nov-19 20:13:28

Joshua Jackson is very fine in Fringe. Makes me wimmin bits go wibbly.

Torchlightt Fri 29-Nov-19 20:15:35

My teenager recently watched this and enjoyed it. Though she does think they talk too much.

Torchlightt Fri 29-Nov-19 20:23:37

Apparently Kerr Smith (played the gay guy) is 8 years older than Michelle Williams! He looked amazingly young for his age.

alittleprivacy Sun 01-Dec-19 13:59:34

I was around 18 when I first saw Dawson's Creek and my friends and I used to occasionally hate watch it. We hated the way these supposed teens talked because nobody ever talked like that. And their constant introspection like when Joey and Dawson started dating in S2 and she left him because she 'needed to find herself.' It was ridiculous. We didn't have quite the same variety of shows to watch in the late 90s, so we did watch it from time to time and stayed vaguely aware of what was going on but we were never fans and always held in mostly contempt. Dawson himself being the absolute worst.

That said I watched Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 3B recently on Netflix and James Van Der Beek seems like someone who is a lot of fun. He plays a fictionalised version of himself in that and totally takes the piss out of the fact that he's the least successful of the main cast now. He's also really grown into his looks as an older adult and he's really quite handsome now whereas he was a weird looking 'teenager.'

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 01-Dec-19 14:17:46

Does anyone remember Party of Five? It had Matthew Fox in, and Neve whatshername who ended up in those horror films, and I think one of the Mean Girls was in it too.

That was v good in my memory but I do wonder what a rewatch would be like grin

AppropriateAdult Sun 01-Dec-19 14:27:57

I loved Party of Five back in the day. And was a huge Dawson’s Creek fan. Watching them now, though, I really think Katie Holmes was the weak link, acting-wise. The others were all pretty good, even if Dawson’s character was a bit problematic at times.

I got to meet JJ in the flesh a few years later, there’s a picture somewhere of us with his arm around me <swoon>

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sun 01-Dec-19 14:33:51

Party of Five was great!! They tried to cancel it and there was such an uproar everyone wrote in and complained (days before SM) and they made more!

Susiesoap7 Sun 01-Dec-19 14:35:32

I used to love this too, but I haven't got catch up so I can't watch it again!

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sun 01-Dec-19 16:18:49

It's on 4 on demand,anyone can access it I thinksmile

ratsnest Sun 01-Dec-19 16:27:18

@CmdrCressidaDuck I actually watched Dawson's Creek off the back of his brilliant pisstake of 'himself' in don't trust the bitch! I love that show smile

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Sun 01-Dec-19 16:38:23

I really think Katie Holmes was the weak link, acting-wise.

Doesn’t even come close to Andy’s acting.

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Sun 01-Dec-19 16:39:11

bad acting! grin

AppropriateAdult Sun 01-Dec-19 20:26:45

Yeah, but they ditched her pretty quickly!

IWorkAtTheCheesecakeFactory Sun 01-Dec-19 20:44:07

Not quick enough! She was in it for 2 or 3 seasons! She was painful to watch. And listen to.

Chienloup Mon 02-Dec-19 00:08:17

I'm just here to lay my claim to Pacey!

Yes, it was terrible looking back, but at the time it was so good. I was possibly a little too old to be watching it. But it gave us the divine Michelle Williams and for that I am willing to overlook almost anything.

Dawson was such an arse.

kateandme Tue 03-Dec-19 04:11:22

she was sickening and clearly loved the guys being in love with her.the moment anyone diverted their attention she was in a bad mooooood.
i want them to put the whole of one tree hill up to watch.still waiting...

kateandme Tue 03-Dec-19 04:12:02

tbf though they were meant to be teen age so we were all acting quite like dicks then.

Torchlightt Tue 03-Dec-19 11:41:32

I have to say, I really enjoyed the series, though much too old for it. Maybe because I was too old for it? I had more patience with all the talking than teenagers might have.

ThrilledToTiddlyBits Tue 03-Dec-19 20:00:42

I'm currently watching all episodes of One Tree Hill on Prime. That's aged much better. James VDB is on that for a few eps taking the piss out of himself as Dawson too. It was filmed in the same place as DC, lots of familiar places.

areyouafraidofthedark Tue 03-Dec-19 20:05:12

Dawson's Creek is still my favourite programme from my teenage years. I even bought it on dvd lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »