Talk

Advanced search

War of the worlds

(103 Posts)
youngestisapsycho Sun 17-Nov-19 21:53:56

Anyone watching?

DinaCaliente Mon 02-Dec-19 13:41:08

Complete pile of tosh and I was so looking forward to it too (I'm such a fan of the Jeff Wayne musical adaptation)

PeterRouseTheFleshofMankind Mon 02-Dec-19 14:04:09

I felt like the last few minutes was just the BBC saying to the public 'stop moaning, it could be worse'!

And the bit where George went out to confront the alien was so boring! How did they even manage to string it out for that long?!

AutumnCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 14:22:22

I doubt this was the BBC's intention but I was egging on the Martians to kill the whole bloody lot of them, especially during that ludicrous scene where Boring George got bopped

Samcro Mon 02-Dec-19 15:02:41

what was in the letter?

EBearhug Mon 02-Dec-19 15:03:45

Think this needed to be on the radio and produced in a more straight forward manner

I think it was a Radio 4 Classic Serial 2 or 3 years ago. In 2 episodes.

Medievalist Mon 02-Dec-19 18:04:17

what was in the letter?

Bizarre that the camera lingered on the letter for so long but not in a way that allowed the viewer to read it! I expected to hear his voice reading it out loud.

AutumnCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 18:23:31

Did it get written in last week's episode? I drifted off, so didn't pay attention if Boring George read it out loud in an expository way.

PeterRouseTheFleshofMankind Mon 02-Dec-19 19:22:13

Bizarre that the camera lingered on the letter for so long but not in a way that allowed the viewer to read it! I expected to hear his voice reading it out loud.

Yes! I was waiting to hear him reading it, and then she just stared at it for ages and we never found out what it said. Whaaaa?!

MrsSlocombesPussy Mon 02-Dec-19 19:26:36

We were wondering how the Martians managed to build and fly their spaceships with those pointy limbs.

wowfudge Mon 02-Dec-19 19:30:06

God it was dull, dull, dull. Why make so many changes to a classic story? HG Wells needn't worry about the TV writer stealing his thunder.

AutumnCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 20:33:15

I was thinking that, @MrsSlocombesPussy. Like when we all wondered how Daleks got up stairs before they invented flying in 2010 or whenever it was.

peaceanddove Tue 03-Dec-19 10:26:58

Congrats to the BBC for managing to make an alien invasion as exciting as a drizzly Wednesday afternoon in Slough.

About 10 mins into episode 3 DH wandered off mumbling something about making a quick cup of tea. The git never came back, leaving me to endure watching it on my own. I didn't even get that cup of tea either.

TildaKauskumholm Tue 03-Dec-19 16:24:01

Yes, pretty awful, sorry I persevered to the end. HG Wells wrote a perfectly good story, why mess about with it?

ritatherockfairy Tue 03-Dec-19 16:42:30

I noticed on iplayer today that it is billed as War of the Worlds "Series 1"......

TheSandman Tue 03-Dec-19 20:18:06

I noticed on iplayer today that it is billed as War of the Worlds "Series 1"......

oh gawd!

Anywaythewindisblowing Tue 03-Dec-19 21:06:54

Did it have to be so fucking bleak and depressing? The whole flash forward but could have been gotten rid of and they could have made it into one hour long show.
Or just less shit?
How did she survive child birth and crap in this post apocalyptic hell?

peaceanddove Wed 04-Dec-19 12:54:48

I got so fed up with the relentless staring. Just constant staring off into the middle distance.

And absolute zero need for Boring George to sacrifice himself. The creature was clearly on its last legs, they could have waited it out. I'm suspicious Amy wanted him dead because he was so dull.

AutumnCrow Wed 04-Dec-19 15:41:42

Also Amy did too far much of that Special Acting Walk that they learn at drama school for when they get a job in musical theatre. Who the fuck steps and glides balletically towards an outhouse containing an alien killer?

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Wed 04-Dec-19 15:46:35

It was seriously dark in every way.

Wagsandclaws Wed 04-Dec-19 18:02:45

It was not what I was expecting. Dire, in every way possible ...

ChrissyHynde Wed 04-Dec-19 21:17:09

It was awful .

user1486915549 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:42:13

I am getting fed up of watching several episodes of a drama and then it just.....ends !
That last episode was dire. Just lots of shots of whatsername acting badly and staring at the sky.

Enb76 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:38:09

I really enjoyed the first episode even though much of it was a bit crap but I gave up after the second. It was very Downton meets Dr Who and good at neither.

I hope the BBC haven't commissioned any more of this toss.

WinterHoliday Sun 08-Dec-19 12:29:17

I have now caught up with this but was only half watching the final episode as my attention kept wandering. What happened to the little girl who was with Amy, George, his brother and the old lady? I missed what happened to her.

DurhamDurham Sun 08-Dec-19 13:50:05

She was caught by an alien and killed unfortunately but they recovered from that quite quickly from what I can remember!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »