Anyone watching?

Stupiddriver1 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:54:43

Yes, I’m enjoying it.

Powerplant Sun 17-Nov-19 21:55:19

So far so good

youngestisapsycho Sun 17-Nov-19 21:57:50

Is it only 3 episodes?

overnightangel Sun 17-Nov-19 22:01:23

Yeah 3 Sunday nights. Both leads really good so far, as is Robert Carlyle as ever

longwayoff Sun 17-Nov-19 22:02:06

I'm impressed. Much better than I expected. I see Demelza has perfected the art of the long stare after all that yearning looking for out to sea for Ross in Poldark.

overnightangel Sun 17-Nov-19 22:02:51

Don’t get where the post apocalyptic bits are meant to be.. flash to the future? Don’t really know the story, just that people thought it was real on the radio when Orson Welles read it

chomalungma Sun 17-Nov-19 22:09:18

Love the album.

I've never read the book - so think I should. The series looks good and we'll try not to talk about the Tom Cruise version...

Norugratsatall Sun 17-Nov-19 22:10:19

Yes I'm a bit confused by the post apocalyptic scenes. As far as I knew - from the story - the Martians were wiped out pretty quickly from Earth diseases but this looks as though the invasion is still happening years later as Amy has her son with her.

Girliefriendlikespuppies Sun 17-Nov-19 22:14:26

I was a bit confused by the post apocalyptic scenes as well, also is demelza's son the same little boy that played Poldarks son?! 🤣

HappydaysArehere Sun 17-Nov-19 22:20:02

Entertaining so far.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 17-Nov-19 22:20:14

Are we meant to think she’s still looking for George?

chomalungma Sun 17-Nov-19 22:21:10

I just need to say

Oooooooooola

ghostmouse Sun 17-Nov-19 22:21:25

I didn't like it blush

thenightsky Sun 17-Nov-19 23:03:58

I loved it! I vaguely remember reading HG Wells when I was a geeky teenager. It came right back to me as soon as I heard the opening lines.

dogsdinnerlady Mon 18-Nov-19 07:02:52

Kid playing her son is Valentine from PD. Agree, lots of long close ups of Demelza/Amy. Similar hair and colour palette for her clothes too.
Amy and George do not feature in the novel. The story is told by a nameless narrator. Martians only confined to Surrey/London in the book.
This version is set in Woking - now infamous destination for furtive princes looking for pizza/alibi.

DriftingLeaves Mon 18-Nov-19 07:06:10

Loving it so far. Not too much messing with the basic plot.

longwayoff Mon 18-Nov-19 07:19:07

Well spotted @Girliefriendlikespuppies, thought he looked familiar. Now that you've mentioned it, they're looking very Poldark-like in the post-apocalypse scenes, maybe Ross will gallop in, rescue them and scoop them off to Cornwall away from the nasty Martians.

Gone2far Mon 18-Nov-19 08:39:45

I thought it was dire. Bloody BBC shoehorning in feminism, gay issues, horrible imperialists and toffs into a decent story. Why can't they just, you know, dramatise the book?
The resulting mess, with all the extraneous wokeness having to be inserted, is dull, dull, dull.

RipleysCat Mon 18-Nov-19 09:01:23

I enjoyed it but agree with Gone2far, I think they could have used a lighter touch with the said issues and it would have had more of an impact.
Also, I felt as though half the script was a close up shot of a quivering Amy/Demelza exclaiming ‘George!’ every 5 mins. Yes love, we know his name by now...

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Mon 18-Nov-19 11:44:00

I quite enjoyed it, but as soon as Robert Carlyle mentioned the odds of something coming from Mars as being "a million to one", I heard Alan Partridge in my head bellowing "But still they came!"

I thought the post-apocalyptic bits looked like they were set on Mars itself but I could be reading too much into it. The ending of the book is a tiny bit lame and anticlimactic by today's standards, so perhaps it's going to be different?

5foot5 Mon 18-Nov-19 12:52:03

I am with Gone2far on this one. It is a few years since I read the book but they have changed the story so much it hardly seems right to call it "War of the Worlds"

I was very confused by the glimpses we kept seeing of an adult and child wondering around in a wasteland, until it became clear near the end that this is meant to be a few years after the events when the woman and her child are still searching for the main character. WTF!? In the book the Martians are wiped out relatively quickly.

Not even sure I will bother to watch again.

senua Mon 18-Nov-19 13:00:18

Bloody BBC shoehorning in feminism, gay issues, horrible imperialists and toffs into a decent story. Why can't they just, you know, dramatise the book?
The resulting mess, with all the extraneous wokeness having to be inserted, is dull, dull, dull.
Absolutely agree.

I also got bored of everyone Staring. There wasn't much acting going on.

MinesaPinot Mon 18-Nov-19 13:37:59

I wasn't keen. I thought it was a bit dull.

Am DH saying 'oooh, living in sin, in Woking' in a very 'Frankie Howard' sort of way didn't help (don't ask, I have absolutely no idea...)

senua Mon 18-Nov-19 13:40:26

Actually, I'll amend my comment. The book arose because of concerns about invasion (esp Russians), colonialism and ecology but these subtleties got lost in the over-arching theme of "Gosh, weren't the Victorians vile. We're so much more woke than them, we're much better people."hmm
It would have been more interesting to go with the theme of "we've been worrying about these things for over a century. We're not that different from the Victorians."

BiasBinding Mon 18-Nov-19 18:18:16

DH was muttering throughout because he knows the book and it's not faithful to it.

Also, I kept being distracted by the fact that most of it was filmed in and around Liverpool/Cheshire, rather than Woking/London, but I accept that's a matter of local knowledge. Plus (major geek alert incoming) the Astronomer Royal, before being incinerated, was listening to Elgar's 'Cockaigne' overture on the gramophone. A piece that wasn't recorded till the 1920's....(and actually, wasn't even composed until after Wells had written the book).

Yes, we are pedants in this house grin

cushioncovers Mon 18-Nov-19 22:21:25

Meh it was ok. I'm more bothered about the dog. Is he ok? 😄

Davros Mon 18-Nov-19 22:22:57

I had high hopes but also agree with gone2far. What bollocks is this about an unmarried posh couple living openly in Victorian England, despite being a little bit shunned? I was so pleased to see a version set in the correct locations but... I wonder if Primrose Hill will feature. The dog was good

FOJeremy Tue 19-Nov-19 07:22:58

The BBC are going overboard with their wokeness. It’s ruined this like it ruined Dr Who. The special effects were laughable as well

Davros Tue 19-Nov-19 09:42:14

Totally agree about Doctor Who. We were massive fans until it went woke. Same thing in World on Fire. I'm sick of being told what to think and play nice

Steamfan Tue 19-Nov-19 09:47:11

Dreadful production. No wonder they delayed broadcasting it over here. The only good thing was seeing local places, but as to the rest of it. Considering it was meant to be faithful to the book - it's not. And has anyone seen the trailer for the beebs Christmas Carol? I thought it looked good - and then I read the cast list - Scrooges daughter and wife? Another bbcwoke by the look of it

5foot5 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:50:25

@BiasBinding Also, I kept being distracted by the fact that most of it was filmed in and around Liverpool/Cheshire, rather than Woking/London, but I accept that's a matter of local knowledge.

When we were watching DD looked at the shots of the village and said "Oh I wonder where they filmed that, it's lovely". Then I read that it was in Great Budworth which we have visited several times but never even realised that was where it was while we were watching!

peaceanddove Tue 19-Nov-19 18:48:32

I really disliked it. The actor playing George only had the one facial expression 'perplexed'. It was cringingly woke, what with Amy being a university, science graduate and Robert Carlyle's open admission of being gay.

dogsdinnerlady Tue 19-Nov-19 19:21:22

This version is actually set in Edwardian times - not Victorian -, it's supposed to be around 1904. I read an interview with the writer who said he wanted to give the story a slightly more contemporary feel and there was a lot going on politically at that time.

user5656 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:03:08

It amused me to see the dates on the series of photos.
The first one was May 4th, Star Wars reference maybe?

5foot5 Mon 25-Nov-19 17:24:16

Decided to give it another chance last night but gave up about half way in. Total tosh.

HiHoToffee Mon 25-Nov-19 17:28:03

Georrrrrrrge, Amyyyyyyyyy, it really was rubbish.

user5656 Mon 25-Nov-19 18:31:22

The beach scene reminded of Titanic.
JACK GEORGE, ROSE. AMY !!

iklboo Mon 25-Nov-19 18:37:35

I had high hopes for this but it's pants.

ghostmouse Mon 25-Nov-19 19:10:02

Me and dp were shouting with exasperation at the telly. To be honest I think the film was better! At least the basic plot was there if you looked hard enough lol

chomalungma Mon 25-Nov-19 22:36:24

Where was Thunderchild?

DurhamDurham Tue 26-Nov-19 07:37:50

I'm sort of enjoying it but it's not true to the book. Even less than the film and that was a stretch!
What's really annoying me is that George hasn't given any thought to or attempted to find out if his children with his actual wife are ok. When he said he was going to be a father I shouted at the tv 'you're already one!'

scrappydappydoo Tue 26-Nov-19 08:04:17

user5656 - I had the same thought. I was wondering if there would be enough space in the wood for all of them this time. Not keen - I think there should be far more menace and tension but it just falls flat and is too predictable.

peaceanddove Tue 26-Nov-19 08:36:42

George doesn't have any children with his wife. But, anyway it was still painfully bad. I actually felt irritated while watching it because it was so bad.

Girliefriendlikespuppies Tue 26-Nov-19 22:41:56

I thought his actual wife couldn't have children and that's the reason George had an affair with fertile Amy hmm

I couldn't stop laughing at the way George runs!!

It is pretty rubbish but I'll watch it to the end now.

DurhamDurham Tue 26-Nov-19 22:44:11

I've just watched the scene with his wife and she definitely mentions children, it's a bit numbly but I'm sure it's something like 'think of your children, who you've left for someone younger and prettier'

PeterRouseTheFleshofMankind Tue 26-Nov-19 22:51:18

There are only 3 episodes? So it finishes on Sunday? That seems a lot to tie up...

I think it's OK. Agree that Amy is exactly like Demelza but without the Cornish accent.

I thought the Hollywood version with Tom Cruise was better! blush

Cooroo Sun 01-Dec-19 21:58:20

Thank god that's over.

PeterRouseTheFleshofMankind Sun 01-Dec-19 22:03:20

WTF was that?!

BillywilliamV Sun 01-Dec-19 22:04:19

My God, that was tedious!

HiHoToffee Sun 01-Dec-19 22:06:03

I didn't think it could get any worse, how wrong was I!

No clue what it was all about.

VictoriaBun Sun 01-Dec-19 22:07:02

It was rubbish. BBC 3/10 for effort. Could do better.

BillywilliamV Sun 01-Dec-19 22:08:55

We’re still watching it on Catch.up, how in God’s name did this get commissioned. Its so boring!

BillywilliamV Sun 01-Dec-19 22:09:34

Still , she’s got a potato plant by the look of it!

CantspellWontspell Sun 01-Dec-19 22:09:55

Holy shitola! I think we can all now answer the question "just how long can you pad an episode out with shots of a pretty woman staring forlornly into the middle distance?"

55 fucking minutes it would seem.

BillywilliamV Sun 01-Dec-19 22:10:30

3 hours of my life I won’t get back..sigh!

Medievalist Sun 01-Dec-19 22:20:10

OMG that was Soooooo Boooooring!!!!

Samcro Sun 01-Dec-19 22:21:59

That was apile of poop.
I have not read the book, but as its such a clasic, i assume that was not anything like the book.

InCinemasWednesday Sun 01-Dec-19 22:23:31

It's pretty impressive how they managed to make an alien invasion so boring.

ScribblyGum Sun 01-Dec-19 22:25:57

That last episode was particularly dreadful. It’s like they ran out of money after episode 2 so had to fill episode three up with people looking miserable and dusty with a roses strawberry-cream wrapper stuck over the camera lens.

BillywilliamV Sun 01-Dec-19 22:26:54

It was like the boring lovechild of Starship Troopers” and WallE”

Chocmallows Sun 01-Dec-19 22:28:28

1/10 for episode one for the dog and horse. They have better acting skills then the people.

TheSandman Sun 01-Dec-19 22:31:55

Thanks for warning me off, everyone.

thenightsky Sun 01-Dec-19 22:33:44

Watching last episode now. I may have dozed off once. God its dull.

FloraGreysteel Sun 01-Dec-19 22:36:31

God that was bloody awful. I did quite like the Martians-I'm not just talking about the fact that me and my boyfriend were egging them on towards the end, I mean they looked pretty good too.

I agree with a lot of the posters: the bullshit woke additions ruined it for me too.

thenightsky Sun 01-Dec-19 22:42:05

Come back Tom Cruise!

TheSandman Sun 01-Dec-19 22:44:48

Everyone knows, of course, that the book is well out of copyright and is available from www.gutenberg.org in a variety of interesting formats.

www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36

HandsOffMyRights Sun 01-Dec-19 22:48:50

Hell's bells, that was dire.

Destinysdaughter Sun 01-Dec-19 22:50:04

Such a shame as the novel is brilliant!

Icanflyhigh Sun 01-Dec-19 23:07:44

DP is loving it I'm struggling x

Destinysdaughter Sun 01-Dec-19 23:14:21

This 3 minute YouTube video was better than that pile of crap!

youtu.be/2eCAphdQPck

HappydaysArehere Sun 01-Dec-19 23:33:45

I thought it was promising in the first episode and then not too sure in the second. Episode 3 left me looking for a diversion and I noticed dh was back to his crossword. Think this needed to be on the radio and produced in a more straight forward manner ie not back and forwards as if they needed to introduce some kind of clever modern slant. I found it a let down.

Ginfordinner Sun 01-Dec-19 23:40:06

I quite enjoyed it, although padding it out to three episodes was a bad idea. I didn't like the way it jumped backwards and forwards either.

I haven't read the book, but have seen the live show which was brilliant.

Dulra Mon 02-Dec-19 08:56:01

I thought episode one was ok, thought episode 2 was good and episode 3 was dire. Such a shame, it could have been really good but focussing on what happened through the small lens of one couples story didn't work particularly when their story was so boring

dogsdinnerlady Mon 02-Dec-19 09:15:24

Add up the minutes Amy/Demelza is on camera looking wistful/worried and I reckon that counts for at least one whole episode.

DinaCaliente Mon 02-Dec-19 13:41:08

Complete pile of tosh and I was so looking forward to it too (I'm such a fan of the Jeff Wayne musical adaptation)

PeterRouseTheFleshofMankind Mon 02-Dec-19 14:04:09

I felt like the last few minutes was just the BBC saying to the public 'stop moaning, it could be worse'!

And the bit where George went out to confront the alien was so boring! How did they even manage to string it out for that long?!

AutumnCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 14:22:22

I doubt this was the BBC's intention but I was egging on the Martians to kill the whole bloody lot of them, especially during that ludicrous scene where Boring George got bopped

Samcro Mon 02-Dec-19 15:02:41

what was in the letter?

EBearhug Mon 02-Dec-19 15:03:45

Think this needed to be on the radio and produced in a more straight forward manner

I think it was a Radio 4 Classic Serial 2 or 3 years ago. In 2 episodes.

Medievalist Mon 02-Dec-19 18:04:17

what was in the letter?

Bizarre that the camera lingered on the letter for so long but not in a way that allowed the viewer to read it! I expected to hear his voice reading it out loud.

AutumnCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 18:23:31

Did it get written in last week's episode? I drifted off, so didn't pay attention if Boring George read it out loud in an expository way.

PeterRouseTheFleshofMankind Mon 02-Dec-19 19:22:13

Bizarre that the camera lingered on the letter for so long but not in a way that allowed the viewer to read it! I expected to hear his voice reading it out loud.

Yes! I was waiting to hear him reading it, and then she just stared at it for ages and we never found out what it said. Whaaaa?!

MrsSlocombesPussy Mon 02-Dec-19 19:26:36

We were wondering how the Martians managed to build and fly their spaceships with those pointy limbs.

wowfudge Mon 02-Dec-19 19:30:06

God it was dull, dull, dull. Why make so many changes to a classic story? HG Wells needn't worry about the TV writer stealing his thunder.

AutumnCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 20:33:15

I was thinking that, @MrsSlocombesPussy. Like when we all wondered how Daleks got up stairs before they invented flying in 2010 or whenever it was.

peaceanddove Tue 03-Dec-19 10:26:58

Congrats to the BBC for managing to make an alien invasion as exciting as a drizzly Wednesday afternoon in Slough.

About 10 mins into episode 3 DH wandered off mumbling something about making a quick cup of tea. The git never came back, leaving me to endure watching it on my own. I didn't even get that cup of tea either.

TildaKauskumholm Tue 03-Dec-19 16:24:01

Yes, pretty awful, sorry I persevered to the end. HG Wells wrote a perfectly good story, why mess about with it?

ritatherockfairy Tue 03-Dec-19 16:42:30

I noticed on iplayer today that it is billed as War of the Worlds "Series 1"......

TheSandman Tue 03-Dec-19 20:18:06

I noticed on iplayer today that it is billed as War of the Worlds "Series 1"......

oh gawd!

Anywaythewindisblowing Tue 03-Dec-19 21:06:54

Did it have to be so fucking bleak and depressing? The whole flash forward but could have been gotten rid of and they could have made it into one hour long show.
Or just less shit?
How did she survive child birth and crap in this post apocalyptic hell?

peaceanddove Wed 04-Dec-19 12:54:48

I got so fed up with the relentless staring. Just constant staring off into the middle distance.

And absolute zero need for Boring George to sacrifice himself. The creature was clearly on its last legs, they could have waited it out. I'm suspicious Amy wanted him dead because he was so dull.

AutumnCrow Wed 04-Dec-19 15:41:42

Also Amy did too far much of that Special Acting Walk that they learn at drama school for when they get a job in musical theatre. Who the fuck steps and glides balletically towards an outhouse containing an alien killer?

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Wed 04-Dec-19 15:46:35

It was seriously dark in every way.

Wagsandclaws Wed 04-Dec-19 18:02:45

It was not what I was expecting. Dire, in every way possible ...

ChrissyHynde Wed 04-Dec-19 21:17:09

It was awful .

user1486915549 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:42:13

I am getting fed up of watching several episodes of a drama and then it just.....ends !
That last episode was dire. Just lots of shots of whatsername acting badly and staring at the sky.

Enb76 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:38:09

I really enjoyed the first episode even though much of it was a bit crap but I gave up after the second. It was very Downton meets Dr Who and good at neither.

I hope the BBC haven't commissioned any more of this toss.

WinterHoliday Sun 08-Dec-19 12:29:17

I have now caught up with this but was only half watching the final episode as my attention kept wandering. What happened to the little girl who was with Amy, George, his brother and the old lady? I missed what happened to her.

DurhamDurham Sun 08-Dec-19 13:50:05

She was caught by an alien and killed unfortunately but they recovered from that quite quickly from what I can remember!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »