Talk

Advanced search

Gold Digger SPOILERS

(194 Posts)
IHaveBrilloHair Fri 15-Nov-19 20:15:17

For those who have seen it all, or don't mind spoilers.
Gogrin

Destinysdaughter Fri 15-Nov-19 20:26:32

Ooh thanks for this, I binge watched it this week and been dying to discuss it!

What did everyone think of the ending? I loved how he actually wasn't a Golddigger after all, but a caring, damaged man.

I read an interview in the Metro with the actor who plays Benjamin and apparently the ending was supposed to be much more melodramatic but he actually influenced it so that it was more of a happy ending!

derxa Fri 15-Nov-19 20:27:07

It was unbelievable at the end. She should never have married him

Destinysdaughter Fri 15-Nov-19 20:27:57

Here's the iv

www.google.com/amp/s/www.metro.news/westworld-star-ben-barnes-ponders-the-thorny-issue-of-age-gap-love-in-gold-digger/1797230/amp/

Killerqueen2244 Fri 15-Nov-19 20:34:00

I was so disappointed, he wasn’t a likeable character and I thought it a shame that I didn’t particularly warm to Julia either. The menacing music, the mean and moody stares just came to....nothing. It’ll be interesting if there will be a series 2, there is potential!

amymel2016 Fri 15-Nov-19 20:36:35

I’ve been hoping someone would start a thread! I finished it yesterday! What did everyone think to Benjamin putting on a clean shirt etc after seeing Julia (just before the wedding) and the smirk he did in the mirror? Was this a minor thing or was it that actually he did kill the shop keeper but has paid his brother off to say it was him?

ToEarlyForDecorations Fri 15-Nov-19 20:37:07

Watched the first episode. Won't be watching any more of them. I don't like him. To full on and had asked her out before introducing himself. He didn't smile once.

I'm not keen on her either. Her bullshit radar must be faulty.

Oh, and are all the flash back sequences relevant to the family life of her children growing up in a dysfunctional home ?

ooooohbetty Fri 15-Nov-19 20:40:26

I loved that they tied it all up at the end like that and that the last episode was so exciting. Best thing on TV for ages. Really enjoyed it.

breakfastpizza Fri 15-Nov-19 20:43:39

Was this a minor thing or was it that actually he did kill the shop keeper but has paid his brother off to say it was him?

I thought this too! All the intentional 'is he a monster/isn't he' moments just got to be too much for me.

ooooohbetty Fri 15-Nov-19 20:44:26

I don't want another series. I like the fact that we don't really know if he loves or not. His smirk at the end was brilliant.

Faez Fri 15-Nov-19 20:45:10

I think the smile in the mirror was just him practising putting a brave face on things

Faez Fri 15-Nov-19 20:46:54

I think his brother was right, he just wanted a mother figure and middle class lifestyle

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 15-Nov-19 20:49:10

I really enjoyed it too. Thought it ended up that they were right for each other but wasn't sure what the enigmatic smiles were meant to signify.

mirage937 Fri 15-Nov-19 20:59:47

I binged it but just found the entire cast unlikable so i wasn't too fussed about ending. I loved Marsha's outfits though

derxa Fri 15-Nov-19 21:05:25

Strangely I liked the brother better than him

TheTruthAboutLove Fri 15-Nov-19 21:10:51

I couldn’t stand him, he made my skin crawl when watching him on screen. It was his passive aggressive nature, the way he talked down to in a ‘I’ve got your mum’ way to the siblings and pushed them completely out.

If he wasn’t a gold digger, then the programme went the wrong way showing it. Everything was about money to him, Julia was a total wet blanket and just pandered to him and there was a creepy mother son thing going on with them both. He was sickening, I’ve never despised a character more on tv! Which means he played the part well. Julia should never have ever married him after the revelation, why couldn’t she just wait and reset her boundaries first?
I hope Patrick lamps him one if there’s ever a season two!

TheTruthAboutLove Fri 15-Nov-19 21:11:50

His brother was totally right with the whole ‘you just want what you couldn’t have growing up, the money, the status but the problem is you’ll never fit in’

He was bang on.

Faez Fri 15-Nov-19 21:16:25

Oh and yeah the ending didn't work because he was being a cocklodger all the way through.

unique1986 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:20:10

I can't believe I watched it all over a few nights.
I really enjoyed it but I almost feel like it could have been like 8 episodes or 10 episodes.

unique1986 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:21:51

I say that because I think the relationship was a bit rushed and I didn't like the fact that we didn't really know how long they been together before they got engaged.
I would like to have seen more of the sister and older brother.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Fri 15-Nov-19 21:39:17

What did everyone think of the ending? I loved how he actually wasn't a Golddigger after all, but a caring, damaged man

He wasn't, he was a murderer! He played everyone to the end.

TheTruthAboutLove Fri 15-Nov-19 22:05:10

I still believe he was the murderer and he’s either twisted his drug addled brother to convince him it was him or he’s paid him to say it.

Anyone sympathising with him, he’s a narcissist! He has delusions of grandeur and he just doesn’t fit in that world, he wants to desperately but you can see he’s on the outside looking in. If he wasn’t a gold digger, why did we have six episodes about her paying for everything, updating her car, paying for his masters, his watch within a day, you get the picture. He’s damaged, beyond repair and hopefully all those with images of him being Heathcliff on the Devon moors will have the wool pulled from their eyes! It’s just romanticised gold digging, he’s an awful character with zero redeeming features. That smirk because he just knew she’d come back was awful and Julia isn’t much better marrying him despite everything.

SmellyToes1 Fri 15-Nov-19 23:14:09

I loved it but 100% agree with you @TheTruthAboutLove

I hate it that people think he was Okay!

Cheesestrings123 Sat 16-Nov-19 00:07:40

I think there will be a Season 2 as I just think there were too many "is he bad/isn't he bad" hints to leave us questioning. I thought it was telling that they focussed on his clenched fist when Ted told them Julia kissed him. Who really does that If you don't have a serious rage problem

Did they ever explain why the brother even turned up, or how he managed to track him down to rural Devon?!

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 16-Nov-19 00:35:21

Nothing was said about the younger brother and his relationship with his step sister.
It seemed that the Dad had realised, but it was such a short scene that I wasn't sure.

HelloYouTwo Sat 16-Nov-19 07:20:22

I couldn’t work out if I enjoyed this or not!

The timeline was so odd. I think by the time they got married they had been together all of 6 months? But they rustled up a big party with loads of friends who appeared from nowhere. The mother was loaded but the daughter was skint. No way would that mother not be helping her daughter with money! The younger son was freeloading off her like crazy.

Julia went to Sunderland from Devon (7 hours minimum on a train) and in the same day found the place in the photo, chatted to a man in a pub, and got the whole backstory on Benjamin courtesy of a conveniently kept newspaper article.

Benjamin came from the same background as Cieran and then spent ?? how long in jail, and came out well spoken, nicely groomed and well dressed and with enough about him to attract middle class museum conservator Julia. What she did see in him was never clear as he never actually said anything meaningful!

And all that trailing around in a massive wedding dress. Along with a parka! Because she wanted to be young and carefree in her bridal get-up but at heart was a sensible mum/ granny who didn’t want to get cold. (I know she couldn’t undo the dress, but it was an unlikely choice for her, the red one was much better).

And yet, it was like reading a chick lit novel. You know it’s crap but it’s really enjoyable anyway, you just need not to overthink things! grin

icelollycraving Sat 16-Nov-19 07:37:12

I really like the first half of the series. I thought the end was annoying. I think a second series would be unwise, a bit like Keeping Faith which should have stayed as a one series drama imo,
On the other thread, lots of people saying she didn’t look 60. She really did. Attractive but believable as 60. I loved Martha’s slinky outfits.

Medievalist Sat 16-Nov-19 07:58:28

Totally disagree about the 'smirk' in the mirror. I think that was him seeing if he could manage a smiley face for the outside world despite how he was feeling. It was obviously false and as soon as he stopped, his face went back to a sad expression.

Also thought - and still do think - that he may have got his brother to say he committed the murder in front of Julia so the wedding could go ahead.

I don't think he was a particularly likeable character (but none of them were, including Julia). And yes, the money and lifestyle clearly meant a great deal to him. But I think he genuinely loved her and I didn't see anything to suggest otherwise.

BloggersBlog Sat 16-Nov-19 15:28:58

^MrsPelligrinoPetrichor* he wasnt a murderer, his brother was. He took the blame as he was only 15 and the sentence was lighter than it would have been for his brother who was 21

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 16-Nov-19 17:10:13

The first episode opened on the day of the wedding. We then had a flashback, captioned "12 months earlier", to Julia's 60th birthday, her kids not going to the planned meal in London and her heading out to the museum. So the whole thing played out over a year.

I don't think he got the brother to lie - the scenes between them when the truth was revealed were too emotional.

I think he did want status, money and the lifestyle that goes with this in order to leave where he'd come from far behind him. He probably did want someone who would mother him too and I think this is why he loves. Julia. She in turn wants someone who will put her first and cherish her.

They are an odd couple, but they each meet the other's needs.

OnlyTheTitOfTheIceberg Sat 16-Nov-19 17:51:01

I think the scene where the brother tried to strangle Benjamin without the latter retaliating was to confirm that the murder happened as Benjamin had said, and that it was his brother who was the violent one.

That's not to say he wasn't a gold digger, mind you!

SheStoopsToConker Sat 16-Nov-19 19:09:13

Was it just me who thought Julia Ormond has aged very badly? She's only 54 and obviously was once very beautiful but she easily passed for 60 in this! And before you say "that's what 54 really looks like, she hasn't had any work done" etc, I know plenty of women in their 50s who don't look that old. Crikey, my mum is in her 70s and doesn't have as many lines on her face!

ageingdisgracefully Sat 16-Nov-19 19:18:56

I also thought JO has aged badly - or has been "aged up" to look like a 60 year old who has aged badly.

I wasn't convinced by her at all.

It's as if the part was written by someone trying to portray a 60 year old who'd - in the words of my old granny - let herself go.

Did someone say upthread that this was written by a young woman?

Younger people sometimes have some very odd ideas of what "older women" are like. grin

Medievalist Sat 16-Nov-19 19:19:23

Agree SheStoops. I am 60 and don't have as many lines. I wondered if the vertical ones on her top lip were due to smoking.

I was also intrigued by her figure which we never really saw. I couldn't work out if she was a little on the large size - like me, and therefore that there's hope for me to find a stylish look too. Or if it was just because she was always swathed in oversized jumpers and coats. If I dressed like that my face would be beetroot red and sweaty! But she did look very stylish.

StellaRockafella Sat 16-Nov-19 19:41:22

Am relieved to see a few posters think similarly to me about how Julia Ormond has aged. Just four years ago she was in Mad Men playing Marie (Megan's mother), and she looked incredible. I wonder if she's hit menopause hard? In this time, I know I have and gained a similar amount of weight as JO seems to have. I also have the same vertical lines above my top lip which is due to loss of collagen rather than smoking. I must confess I've found her ageing to be of great comfort to me! She is still very beautiful though.

Anyway. I though Gold Digger was great nonsense. No second series needed at all.

MollyButton Sat 16-Nov-19 19:48:28

Gosh is JO 54? I look a lot younger than her.

We really don't know much about Benjamin - there were a few furtive phone calls etc. and no explanation really.
A lot is ambiguous.
There could be a second series. As there are a lot of questions.

I also wondered from quite early on if Ted started the affair with Marsha as another way to hurt Julia. Julia probably never knew (unlike Banjamin) how the affair started - I bet she had got a message to Ted, but he went around because he knew Marsha was vulnerable.

mizu Sat 16-Nov-19 20:42:58

I really enjoyed it. A bit ridiculous but like others have said beautifully shot. JO is beautiful and seemed to look older in some scenes than others.

No need for another series.

Xyzzzzz Sat 16-Nov-19 20:44:34

I was really disappointed it started off so good and then was quite rubbish. Didn’t enjoy the ending.

burntpinky Sat 16-Nov-19 21:23:00

Did anyone catch the phone call he had on the train? I thought he said “Anna, I’m working on it” and something about not wanting to hurt her. I did wonder st first if he already had a young girlfriend elsewhere and was just marrying Julia to get cash for him and the young girlfriend, but after Julia’s trip to Sunderland I wondered if it might actually have been his probation officer he had been talking to.

And the ex fiancé (can’t remember her name?), did she decide not to marry him because she found out who he was?)

burntpinky Sat 16-Nov-19 21:24:47

I also wondered if Marshas dead husband might be Leo’s dad and Ted suspected which was why he’d run off with Marsha as there was a lot of mention of “revenge” at the end. Also because they focused quite a lot on him sleeping with Marshas daughter

BloggersBlog Sat 16-Nov-19 21:33:44

The phone call was to Ali according to my subtitles grin but didn't see the point of it. If I was getting engaged I wouldn't ring an ex who'd dumped me to tell them unless it was to make them jealous. But that story line never came to anything

EeeByeGummieBear Sat 16-Nov-19 22:23:46

I really enjoyed it. I thought it showed two people who had been damaged by life, finding love, in a slightly dysfunctional way. I think what helped it to work (for me) was Benjamin clearly hiding something, which implied he was a gold digger. I enjoyed the bit with his brother, when Julia understood by his brother's actions that Benjamin was innocent due to her own experience of living with a controlling and violent partner. Kids were annoying though, but that just made me want Julia and Benjamin to have a happy ending!

Whistle73 Sat 16-Nov-19 22:43:30

The timeline was a year but Patrick's baby didn't age at all!

I know it's difficult but I wish they'd try and film in the right seasons. They met in summertime but the wedding a year later was in winter and the Christmas scenes were obviously filmed September time.

VignetteStonemoss Sat 16-Nov-19 23:20:31

I've just finished watching it and agree that none of the characters were particularly likeable. I didn't mind Julia until the last episode and then I found all that flouncing around in a wedding dress and coat in the forest really cringe inducing.

Anyway, I think the brother did kill the shopkeeper. He showed he had a temper and could snap quickly. I also think the brother was right when he said that Benjamin wanted Julia's money and lifestyle, as well as wanting a mother figure. I think Benjamin genuinely ended up caring for Julia but I don't think that this was what he was initially looking for when he first met her, and it was pure luck that the rich woman he was pursuing happened to be someone that he could care for.

At the end, I think him standing all lord of the manor gazing out of the window and smirking showed that money/lifestyle was always his primary motivation. Julia was a pleasant by-product of this.

Oblomov19 Sun 17-Nov-19 07:32:29

Rushed. Episode 6 was rushed. Poorly done.

Plus the timings? She got the train and was back before anyone noticed? Please!

And then they both drove to the beach, he convinced her, and she managed to get to the church in her muddy dress, within about an hour! I think not.

burntpinky Sun 17-Nov-19 07:51:32

@BloggersBlog - yes the later phone call in the vine house after they’d got engaged, but I’m talking about 1 in either episode 1or 2 when they were on one of their back and forths on the train - I rewound it and listened again and he said “Anna, I’m working on it, I don’t want to hurt you”

ScrumpyBetty Sun 17-Nov-19 07:58:22

I don't see them together as a couple at all! There is no way that Benjamin would ever had been interested in Julia if she had been a dinner lady or whatever, staying in a premier inn, without all of the trappings of wealth. To me, he definitely was a gold digger. Living rent free with Julia, all expenses paid for, not doing any work to pay for anything. It really grated on me!

Also, she tore up the pre nuptial agreement on the beach, but then they did get married, so I think there will be a series 2 where he will try and shaft her for everything. I'm so cynical!

Medievalist Sun 17-Nov-19 09:27:01

Burntpinky - I'd need to look again, but my impression with the train phone call was that he was probably being hassled for money or in some sort of trouble and he covered it up as a work call when he saw Julia approaching.

burntpinky Sun 17-Nov-19 09:41:04

Would def be interesting to know!

Faircastle Sun 17-Nov-19 09:43:30

In the last episode, they suddenly went from loads of angst to her children being all smiley and accepting of him?

MollyButton Sun 17-Nov-19 09:49:25

The train to Sunderland was utterly ridiculous - obviously they have no idea of geography (or should have included hints of Newquay airport at least).

I don't think Julia is as straightforward as we're supposed to think, forging his signature on the Pre Nup, although it wouldn't have been worth anything unless there was evidence that Benjamin had obtained independent legal advice. Something I'm shocked that the hot shot lawyer son didn't realise.
I wondered if Julia made a Will in advance of the marriage or just after, limiting what Benjamin would inherit. (I certainly would as a minimum.) Afterall he does make her happy.

Medievalist Sun 17-Nov-19 12:00:29

The train to Sunderland was utterly ridiculous - obviously they have no idea of geography (or should have included hints of Newquay airport at least).

Totally agree! There and back in a day with time for a wander round? Laughable!

TheTruthAboutLove Sun 17-Nov-19 17:01:06

The ending - I don’t get in a million years why she agreed to marry him despite the fact she’s only just discovered everything about Benjamin.

The only reason I can come up with is that she wanted to spite/not prove the children right about him. Julia is an enabler, she minimises his quite frankly absurd behaviour because she’s lonely and desperate for love.

I quite agree you need a huge suspension of reality for the show and the whole Devon to Sunderland thing. And how he came out of prison with a cut glass accent and dressed perfectly.

cheesewitheverything Sun 17-Nov-19 19:12:35

I really enjoyed it, though it was annoying in places. I was quite relieved that there were no murders or suicides at the end, despite many hints at them. A happy ending is a rarity on tv! I especially enjoyed Ted getting his comeuppance as he turned up like a madman at the wedding, showing himself up. I would definitely watch series 2 if there is one as I think the ending is ambiguous enough for plenty more episodes and the family is quite interesting. I especially liked Julia's daughter in law who seemed quite normal. Benjamin was interesting I thought and at times looked so slight and pale, quite ill almost, but at other times looked very handsome. So you could see the little lad in him as well as the man. I think his brother was spot on about what Benjamin wanted, but it suited Julia as well.

Oblomov19 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:32:46

As a character she was pitiful! Lonely and desperate. She took all of about 2 seconds between deciding not to marry him, and giving him a second chance.
Whether he did or not kill the shopkeeper is irrelevant. He lied and lied and lied. Hid almost everything from her. She really knew practically nothing about him. Yet decided to marry him anyway. hmmGod save us from this shite.

Even though Ted was beyond vile, an abuser, he stood in her hallway, he did have a point. He couldn't grasp why she was marrying him.

Neither can any of us!!
Pp did have a valid point: why didn't she wait, and review?

Actually, now I think about her, she's so pathetic, I really don't like her!

cubed123 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:43:37

She was so annoyingly pathetic and declared herself to be ‘in love’ after two weeks. Cringeworthy.
I’m glad I found this thread as decided not to watch the rest now I know the ending as couldn’t find it elsewhere on the net.

ShiningTor Sun 17-Nov-19 21:24:40

Am feeling a bit dim.

Was Patrick having an affair? (I know we saw hints)

Who wrote the note to him?

I think I might have got distracted 😬

Oblomov19 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:28:16

With his blonde colleague.
Note presumably written by Leo? Because he picked up Patrick's phone from the car and saw her text to Patrick saying she couldn't wait to be with him again.

ShiningTor Sun 17-Nov-19 21:37:06

@Oblomov19 thank you!

MsLumley Sun 17-Nov-19 22:03:58

I think the note was written by Julia. She overheard Patrick on the phone didn't she, telling his mistress not to call when he was with his family.

caranconnor Sun 17-Nov-19 23:37:22

I liked that she looked a realistic 60 and beautiful. My friends this age vary a lot in how many lines they have. Some are very lined, normally those who smoke and/or sunbathed a lot.

OnlyTheTitOfTheIceberg Mon 18-Nov-19 08:44:23

I think the note was written by Julia

Wouldn’t Patrick have recognised his own mother’s handwriting though?

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 18-Nov-19 09:15:22

Wasn't it printed in capitals? So it could've been anyone's writing, really.

Ruraldream Mon 18-Nov-19 14:16:42

What a load of absolute shit! Can you tell I'm angry at losing 6 hours of my life to this?!

2Rebecca Mon 18-Nov-19 16:01:55

The last episode was disappointing. Even if he didnt kill the bloke it was more evidence of him lying to her. Also I dont believe he would go to prison for a half brother. The sentence length is irrelevant. It still gives you a serious criminal record that makes his employment as a graphic designer in a posh company unlikely. It was silly. The 2 older kids seemed overly scarred by witnessing 1 episode of DV and self harm. Many people have a background of persistent DV and substance abuse and are less strange. I never really understood why older son didnt love his wife.

BentBastard Mon 18-Nov-19 16:10:02

I think older son did love his wife but just couldn't handle the reality of family life with baby etc.

It was all a bit daft but I couldn't help but watch to the end.

I think the answer is that he was a gold digger but that he did also love Julia in his own way.

Pp is right that he wouldn't have stuck it out with her if she wasn't rich, but that's not to say he didn't also have some real feelings for her.
I give their marriage 6 months though.

MollyButton Mon 18-Nov-19 19:11:18

That's wasn't the only case of DV though, and as the Relationship board says: children who are "asleep in their rooms" are often far more aware than adults think. And Marsha said their marriage was odd and cold.
I think that event was just the key memory the older two clung on to, and it seemed that no one talked to them about it which could have been more damaging.
For Leo it was the only memory he had and he had tried to repress it.

FantailsFly Mon 18-Nov-19 19:25:25

I really liked it. My first thought was that the ending was trite, too happy, and unrealistic. But on reflection I think they both gave each other a second chance at a better life which I think is quite lovely.

EachandEveryone Mon 18-Nov-19 20:28:13

Who wrote the note to the brother?

hoxt Mon 18-Nov-19 21:01:34

Did anyone else feel sorry for Marsha?

WeWantSweet Mon 18-Nov-19 21:06:18

I thought the first 2 episodes were good but it went a bit bonkers in the 3rd episode, dialled it down in the 4th and 5th and went bonkers again in the 6th episode. I had questions but just went with it overall as it was so refreshing to watch a drama without a detective in sight.

Hydrogenbeatsoxygen Mon 18-Nov-19 22:36:01

I watched until the end, just to see what happened. It was a strange tale, with too many twists and turns. I found the involvement of her adult children in her life was a bit unrealistic, although as the history of their dad’s behaviour was revealed that does explain it.

For me the ending was all wrong. She survived domestic violence, only to be portrayed as a weak woman who needed a man. I wanted to see her move on, stronger and happy on her own.

GrimDamnFanjo Tue 19-Nov-19 01:58:35

I read the ending as Julia so damaged that she accepted Benjamin's behaviour eg the apology she gave him.
His smirking out of the window suggested not all was well...

MollyButton Tue 19-Nov-19 11:24:04

I actually liked the fact that although she had finally got out of her abusive marriage she wasn't "suddenly all better". She had been in denial, been covering up and blaming others (eg Marsha) - so it's not surprising she would be vulnerable to another kind of abuser/damaged man.
Now if she'd had counselling and done the freedom programme...

Stooshie8 Tue 19-Nov-19 13:50:27

I think it was left with questions so a follow up series can be done. I thought both sons looked surly at the end, Benj has a hold over Patrick, Leo still doesn't know his fathers cruel behaviour, was Benj brother really his bro/ paid off/ a former jail mate?What will happen to drunken ex? Will Leo continue in relationship with. sS? Was Benj faking it all to get the house and money etcetc etc

Stooshie8 Tue 19-Nov-19 13:56:29

Forgot to say I really enjoyed it. I thought Julia was attractive whatever age she was. And that the plot where she'd stayed with the abusive arrogant DH believable. Believing she is providing a happy home for her DCs despite the unspoken past and his controlling behaviour.

NoSauce Tue 19-Nov-19 14:28:37

That look on his face at the end shot, was that a smirk? Was he really only in it for the money? Stood in the window looking at “his” big old garden?

Cocolapew Tue 19-Nov-19 14:43:08

I just can't believe one person wanted to have sex with Ted never mind two!

NoSauce Tue 19-Nov-19 15:09:35

Haha 😂 that actor plays a great baddie for sure.

Hydrogenbeatsoxygen Tue 19-Nov-19 17:54:29

I found the characters generally unbelievable. Julia's youngest son at 25 was being treated and was behaving like a fifteen year old. Julia's face when he was supposedly going to live with his dad shock. He's 25 FFS, wait until he goes out and change the locks.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Tue 19-Nov-19 18:28:17

Plot details were lost on me, I'm afraid, ever since realising Patrick, elder son, resembled a Rickaaaay-era Sid Owen.

Most distracting.

confused

Stooshie8 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:53:59

The point of him going to live with his Dad was that he didn't know his DFs abuse of his Mother. Also tried to save their marriagebynot telling of DFs affair -shows he did not know of abuse . I think that was why it was a thing. Agree 25 was too old but needed for the story.

Bodyposiftw Wed 20-Nov-19 08:03:30

So Benjamin Green is Sean White. Julia used his passport to forge his signature on the pre-nup didn't she?
Can you just make up a new identity for a passport? I genuinely don't know.
How did Kieran track him down?
I agree with pp who said that it's a bit like chick lit, best to enjoy and not think too much about the bits that don't work, but I do wonder ..

Bodyposiftw Wed 20-Nov-19 08:06:33

As for the ending , initially I was disappointed. So he was a decent guy all along, lovely wedding, love conquers all etc.
But on second thought no. The smirks and all the other behaviours that are not really explained.
He got what he wanted but all is not well..

Stars456 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:05:04

I understand all the comments and agree with timescales etc - it was still worth a watch.
All comments regarding not liking the characters especially regarding Benjamin is that not maybe how we was suppose to feel about about him?? So in that sense he played his character well. As for Julia her character seamed as many have said ‘desperate’ again maybe that’s how we was suppose to perceive her character.
I think some shows receive far to much criticism - enjoy it for what it is. Sure they could never please everyone.
Hoping for a second series to fill in the blanks.

stelford182 Wed 20-Nov-19 11:05:37

Overall, I enjoyed it though I think the writers rushed the timeline.

They're were also to many lose ends not tied up by episode 6, so many unanswered questions.

The eldest brother and lawyer was a creature in his own right. Cheating on his beautiful and hilarious Irish wife.

Perhaps I missed it but if Benjamin didn't leave the note, who did? Was it Julia based on calling home a hypocrite after he mentioned that marriage is for life!

The youngest brother was damaged as he was a baby when his father beat the mum and he clearly had traits of his father. But, by the end I was pleased to see that he rejected his father.

The daughter seems to have gone off the beaten track to find herself and I was pleased to see her relationship come back to life after what appears to have been a rocky ride.

Ted got what was coming to him. Despite building such a beautiful life for his family, it was all tainted by his domestic abusive behaviour and being a power hungry control freak.

I think there is more to Benjamine and his brother. How did his brother just turn up out of the blue after 17 years and know where to find his brothers address?

Series 2 could be possible though I doubt the BBC will commission it as they likely feel that the audience can draw their own conclusions.

NoSauce Wed 20-Nov-19 11:17:10

What was the story with Ali? Did she cotton on he was just after her money then?

MamaBolt Wed 20-Nov-19 11:58:30

I can't believe we're having a conversation about how well / not well Julia Ormond has aged. For the love of god people.

NormaBean Wed 20-Nov-19 12:26:43

I think it was the younger brother who left the note. He read the text on Patrick’s phone revealing the affair.

He also seemed to be digging a little deeper into things such as his parent’s relationship and was obviously hurt by them splitting.

I really enjoyed it. I was far more appreciative of it not ending with the typical him getting found out and her family rescuing her.

We still don’t know if he is a gold digger or not, just like she doesn’t. She ripped up the prenup and we don’t know much about him. I thought it was all very well done, loved the scenery, thought the acting was great and JO is incredibly beautiful so found it believable too.

NoSauce Wed 20-Nov-19 12:31:51

I can't believe we're having a conversation about how well / not well Julia Ormond has aged. For the love of god people

Why the hell not?

Hydrogenbeatsoxygen Wed 20-Nov-19 14:17:20

The point of him going to live with his Dad was that he didn't know his DFs abuse of his Mother. Also tried to save their marriagebynot telling of DFs affair -shows he did not know of abuse . I think that was why it was a thing. Agree 25 was too old but needed for the story

Yes I realise that, and the point but it just adds to the unrealistic tone of the entire series.

SinisterBumFacedCat Wed 20-Nov-19 15:22:53

I found her sons far more irritating than Benjamin. Always liked it when he got one up on them. Watched most of the series wondering why these well off people living in a beautiful part of the country are so snarly with each other! Julia has zilch personality. The brother was obviously the murderer from his choking of Benjamin.

Anyone want to discuss how the actor who played Ted has aged? grin

DontFearTheReaper Wed 20-Nov-19 16:25:03

And how he came out of prison with a cut glass accent and dressed perfectly.

This! They needed a tougher looking actor, he looked and behaved like he went to prep school. Also even if you manage to change your accent, it usually comes out when you’re angry or stressed etc.

Alex Jennings (who played Ted) is so good. And so was the actress playing Marsha - though I agree them being friends for 34 years doesn’t make sense.

Julia and Benjamin were so badly written, they had no character or personality.

Stooshie8 Thu 21-Nov-19 06:44:39

If Julia was an abused wife would she have been fun/ feisty - I think the point was she was downtrodden and the DCs were protective of her because of that. Benjamin imv was portraying a 'little boy lost' character due to his unloved childhood, also he was acting a multi character part as we are, deliberately imv, left wondering if he is a gold digger, or is he genuine, did he kill the shopkeeper? So we got deliberate mixed messages.

NoSauce Thu 21-Nov-19 07:04:37

Julia behaved that way because of what she had been through. I think it was spot on.

Nomorewine77 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:00:29

I really enjoyed it, I think you have to take it for what it is and not think too deeply about it, yes there were a few hmm moments. They were all damaged and dysfunctional. I thought Alex Jennings played a very good part and that JO looked beautiful!

VanGoghsDog Thu 21-Nov-19 09:30:35

I also wondered if Marshas dead husband might be Leo’s dad

Except Marsha's husband was black.

Wasn't Ted also a gold digger? Julia came from money. She mentioned at one point always having been wealthy and that was surely her family home? Ted didn't seem to get much from the divorce, living in the house of his new squeeze.

Agree about the timelines - all over the place! Christmas day seemed to take about three days. Her trip to Sunderland was bonkers, we kept saying "is it still the same day then?".

It made no sense how Marsha could have been her best friend and have known the couple for 34 years of their 35 years together. Nor how she moved there for her husband's work.

Silly bit where Benjamin jumped into the swimming pool. As if an outdoor pool in the UK would just be sitting there, ready, with no cover in it.

Was it Devon? I thought so, but dp didn't. They mentioned Kent at one point.

I thought it showed promise but the characters were unpleasant and we never got to know Benjamin enough. I know the family were suspicious of him, but why didn't he try to be nicer to them, he basically ignored them!

spiderlight Thu 21-Nov-19 14:45:17

It was Devon - it was mentioned a couple of times and Becky Falls is in Dartmoor. Benjamin told Julia that he was from Kent (which he wasn't, unless that was where he was in prison).

VanGoghsDog Thu 21-Nov-19 15:22:43

I told dp it was Dartmoor but he wouldn't listen.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Thu 21-Nov-19 15:26:09

I looked it up, Widecombe, Dartmoor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »