Talk

Advanced search

Tennis thread: it's almost the off-season, but the tennis chat continues!

(1000 Posts)
PrivateSpidey Thu 14-Nov-19 09:38:16

It's not quite time to don your woolly jumpers or stoke up your log fires for the winter - still some tennis to be played this season!

An exciting, mathematically challenging WTFs continues, new Davis Cup soon, etc...

tennis

kazzaD66 Fri 06-Dec-19 15:34:29

DD, not DH *Raahh sorry!

JaneJeffer Fri 06-Dec-19 15:44:08

Poor Caroline sad

PrivateSpidey Fri 06-Dec-19 17:02:48

Hope your DD is ok Raahh

I saw Wozniacki said her retirement wasn't to do with her health/injury? Can understand she'd want to play Melbourne once more though.

Suarez Navarro is retiring next year as well.

Raahh Fri 06-Dec-19 18:04:53

Poor Caroline- she always promsed so much,and tried so hard and was one of the, seemingly many, female players (opposite to the men) who got to number one - way before she ever got a sniff of a slam.

Whereas Stanbear has 3 slams, and has never got to number 1. Funny, isn't it?

JaneJeffer Fri 06-Dec-19 18:58:29

Oh I just presumed it was to do with her RA. Can't be easy playing with that condition.

PrivateSpidey Fri 06-Dec-19 19:11:59

Yes that's what I thought as well but she said in her statement it wasn't. So who knows. I'm glad she won a Slam, although that final makes me feel a bit ugh, because it was played in that terrible heat wasn't it, and Halep was on a drip afterwards (it was that one wasn't it?).

Yes that's true about Stan Raahh, it's a bit mad to think he's never been No1... but I guess the three slams are a good consolation. bear

I wish there was a bear with a Father Christmas hat emoji fgrin

Raahh Fri 06-Dec-19 19:35:35

It was that one, Spidey- because they didn't get to close the roof unlike Fed .

I wonder why the bear can't wear a hat. That's a shame. fsad

PrivateSpidey Fri 06-Dec-19 19:53:26

Oh yes of course!! Didn't Cilic practise outside and then the final was under the roof?? fhmm

Raahh Fri 06-Dec-19 20:08:24

He did. I remain bitter on his behslf grin.

Raahh Fri 06-Dec-19 20:08:56

*behalf

PrivateSpidey Fri 06-Dec-19 22:08:10

grin oh yes me too (now that I've remembered about it grin)

Love a good grudge fsmile

Raahh Sat 07-Dec-19 20:37:32

This is outing, but the PM paid a visit to the football club where my husband runs the girls under 14s team today. Fortunately for him, his team was playing away grin. I think it was the under 10s and 12s that got the pleasure of Boris's company. grin.

Fizzywinegum Sat 07-Dec-19 21:52:36

Phew Raahh that was a close shave for your DH - Nick Clegg once came onto our road and I hid! Would rather talk to him than Boris though.

Fizzywinegum Sat 07-Dec-19 23:38:49

Just saw Bojo at a football club in the news Raahh - feeling very meh about the election. Need to see some tennis players with their Christmas trees - come on Stan bearfsmile

Greenwingmemories Sat 07-Dec-19 23:44:04

Fizzywinegum Nick Clegg was at one of my son's matches during the coalition government as his son played for the opposition team. He seemed very pleasant and chatted with the other parents. I can't imagine BJ showing any interest in anyone who wasn't a) useful to him or b) he fancied. Yuk.

Fizzywinegum Sat 07-Dec-19 23:54:56

Greenwing Nick clegg did actually seem like a decent person - I’ve seen him talk a few times and he did seem like a reasonable person - I think it’s a pity that he got caught up in the coalition thing. Anyway don’t want to turn the tennis thread too political fsmile

PrivateSpidey Sun 08-Dec-19 09:42:48

Fizzy I'm imagining you hiding behind a tree or something for Nick's visit fgrin

Fizzywinegum Sun 08-Dec-19 10:33:57

It was behind our front garden wall Spidey fgrin

PrivateSpidey Sun 08-Dec-19 10:59:43

fgrin

Fizzywinegum Sun 08-Dec-19 14:57:30

OMG Jo Swinson has just been on our road fshock - it’s like a Lib Dem hotbed here! She went to the next door neighbours so I didn’t have to hide this time!

PrivateSpidey Sun 08-Dec-19 15:48:35

Fizzy fshockfgrin
They'll track you down eventually!! You can run but you can't hide etc grin

I've been having a day of Christmas prep - well I say that, all I've actually done is wrap our presents to send overseas and about three others, and got the decorations down (haven't even got actual tree yet). Feel like I've done a good days work but probably just a drop in the ocean really fhmm

Raahh Sun 08-Dec-19 16:07:37

I wrapped 4 presents.

I realised I have lost the labels. And the bows. I know I bought some.

Or it might have been the day I went to Wilko and picked a load of stuff up and left with only one roll of wrapping paper. blush.

I'm finding Christmas really hard to get into this year. And I hate it most years .

Where's the Scrooge emoji?

grin

Raahh Sun 08-Dec-19 16:11:01

I did go shopping with my dad and his partner and end up kind of getting talked into getting a coat. They are always desperate to get me things- because I never get stuff for mysefl, and the coat I have, actaully used to belong to my neice, and has been sewn bak together a number of times.

But I like it blush.

Any way, it made my dad very happy to it me, and dd2 was delighted it is nearly the same colour as hers (great, I look like my 9 year old).

So everyone is happy.

grin.

JaneJeffer Sun 08-Dec-19 16:12:08

I thought you loved it Raahh!

I have done nothing but that's what I do every year until I suddenly realise Christmas is a week away.

Well done on escaping the politicians Fizzy grin

Raahh Sun 08-Dec-19 16:12:10

Sorry, my typing has gone south , as i am trying to type on my phone whilst walking the dog. I'm not sure why I am multi tasking.

It seemed like a good idea grin.

This thread is not accepting new messages.