Talk

Advanced search

Tennis thread: it's almost the off-season, but the tennis chat continues!

(966 Posts)
PrivateSpidey Thu 14-Nov-19 09:38:16

It's not quite time to don your woolly jumpers or stoke up your log fires for the winter - still some tennis to be played this season!

An exciting, mathematically challenging WTFs continues, new Davis Cup soon, etc...

tennis

magimedi Thu 14-Nov-19 10:20:29

I've finished off your old thread, Private.

It's a real treat to have tennis in the afternoons at this time of year. Especially as all the players are good & there are no weather bothers.

magimedi Thu 14-Nov-19 10:23:52

My tennis mad neighbours are off to Madrid next week to see the Davis Cup.

Looks as if it's only on Eurosport & not the BBC. Damn.

I long for all TV to be pay per hour.

kazzaD66 Thu 14-Nov-19 10:28:33

Re the butterfly fancier private That will teach you to go in with an open mind. I stopped that a long time ago. Just face it - he's an annoying, irritating prat grin

Thanks for the new thread btw smile

I see that Andy will meet Dimitrov in the first round of the ATP Cup in Sydney in January. It will make a change for Grigor to play someone other than Stan grin
Andy was meant to play Fed but he's now pulled out because he's scared he'd lose to a resurgent Murray grin

kazzaD66 Thu 14-Nov-19 10:31:47

Ooh, jealous of your neighbours magi
Madrid, warm sun, tapas Rioja, tennis. What's not to love smile

magimedi Thu 14-Nov-19 10:46:30

If you look at the weather for Madrid it's wet & a max of about (c!!

The rest of it will be as you described!!!

magimedi Thu 14-Nov-19 11:04:05

9C not (C!!

JaneJeffer Thu 14-Nov-19 12:05:49

It's not quite time to don your woolly jumpers or stoke up your log fires for the winter
Unless you live where I do. It's fecking freezing!

Thanks for new thread Private

PrivateSpidey Thu 14-Nov-19 12:18:27

Jane grin I know, it is here as well. I've just put the heating back on and the garden is looking a bit on the flooded side shock

I wouldn't mind being in Madrid, even if it is only 9C!

I like your pay per hour TV idea magi. But I think we would need a discount for the time taken up by AC grin

Raahh if you're reading, hope you're doing ok.

PrivateSpidey Thu 14-Nov-19 12:21:08

Thanks for finishing off the old thread magi bear

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 13:21:52

Yay! new thread!

After the excitement of the Rafa match, I was feeling a bit rubbish, and fell asleep. Went to bed at 5.30- and basically didn't get up (except to move downstairs later when Dh woke me up with his snoring).

I don't feel too clever today, but Kevin and Keith are not causing too many problems, just a dull ache.

I will probably miss this afternoon, parents evenings and stuff, but tonight should be good (although I don't want either to wingrin)

PrivateSpidey Thu 14-Nov-19 13:35:34

grin they should be able to make it a draw.

I'd prefer Fed to win (despite the love-in).

Glad you're not doing too badly Raahh. Hopefully Keith and Kevin will keep a low profile from now on!

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 13:59:02

Keith and Kevin are keeping thing to a dull roar today. But I just feel exhausted.

I want Fed to beat Djok, but only so Rafa keeps his number 1 spot.

I don't know how the groups will pan out- but I'd rather Rafa didn't play Fed in the semi. Although Thiem has been playing so well.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, since , Rafa has to win his next match first!

Fizzywinegum Thu 14-Nov-19 14:07:54

I’ve had enough of AC already grin

I want Fed to win tonight - DH was asking me why everyone hated Djok the other night - he answered his own question after watching Djok for a few minutes!

Fizzywinegum Thu 14-Nov-19 14:13:56

Spidey Sue just said almost word for word what you said earlier about the possible permutations (are you her researcher?) AC didn’t have a clue grin

PrivateSpidey Thu 14-Nov-19 14:27:45

grin Fizzy I'd love that!! They're talking about Thiem as though he's only just arrived on the scene confused

Fizzywinegum Thu 14-Nov-19 14:33:13

I know AC said that no-ones ever heard of Thiem confused! Maybe some tennis fans have heard of him seeing as he was a French Open finalist! As my DM once said about AC - she wouldn’t pay him out in washers (he’s hopeless)

JaneJeffer Thu 14-Nov-19 14:39:34

grin

I missed all the who is Thiem chat thankfully.

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 14:57:58

Who is Thiem?

Honestly. AC should stick to butterflies and beards.

JaneJeffer Thu 14-Nov-19 15:48:41

Playing bad at the net because his dad taught him grin

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 15:49:39

I just got in, and saw that Matteo won.

What was wrong with Dom? Sue- Voice of Doom said he wasn't feeling his best.

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 15:50:38

They aren't going to replay the same Murray interview again are they??
You can tell it's the Beeb.

grin

JaneJeffer Thu 14-Nov-19 15:52:34

I don't know whether Domi was just saving his energy!

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 15:54:08

Jane maybe he was- it was a 'dead' rubber as far as was concerned, although he could have gained ranking points from it.

Raahh Thu 14-Nov-19 15:54:58

He's been talking to Russell a lot.

It's like Groundhog day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »