Talk

Advanced search

Our Yorkshire Farm

(164 Posts)
sniffingthewax Sun 10-Nov-19 09:47:17

Have watched this family for years and read her books. Age is really catching up on Clive, he can hardly bend over now, it is very apparent in this new series. I don't like how the programme is becoming more contrived, it's obvious a lot of it is staged for the camera.

Sistercharlie Tue 03-Dec-19 14:50:47

What a horrible thread. The children are lovely and are having a fantastic upbringing!

The comment about having to leave the baby in the hospital for short periods is explained in detail in the book - so pretty low to pick on her for that - she did have to balance the needs of the entire family.

And why should Amanda just confine herself to overalls if she doesn't want to?

Criticise a person for confining her children to the farm and not giving them enough holidays and experiences elsewhere. Then criticise her for having the temerity for being "in front of a camera" writing books and going on telly that will bring her the money to do those things! You can't win with some people.

Sistercharlie Tue 03-Dec-19 14:57:50

And as for being around animals and the danger - it's far less dangerous if you are there with your parents learning from when you're a toddler - to suddenly starting from scratch at 12 yrs or whatever. Livestock can be dangerous and unpredictable. You need a lot of confidence born of experience to cope properly. And you need to build strength and a good work ethic too.

thenightsky Tue 03-Dec-19 15:02:30

I used to trail around after my grandad in a timber yard with huge big lathes without guards on. I remember going up a tower crane with him in winter once and all the steps were iced up. shock I'd never let my DC do that... god knows what my mother was thinking!

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 15:10:38

The comment about having to leave the baby in the hospital for short periods is explained in detail in the book - so pretty low to pick on her for that - she did have to balance the needs of the entire family

Having had a baby in SCBU myself I can't imagine not going home and spending time with older kids at home ,it's not like you can have loads of kids in special care visiting,is it?

Acciocats Tue 03-Dec-19 16:59:58

I haven’t read the book so can’t comment on her leaving her baby, but having had a baby in NICU myself I completely understand that when you have older children at home they need you too. So very low to criticise Amanda for not being in hospital 24/7

However That was just one poster I think. The vast majority of criticism is about their lack of regard for their children s safety. They may well have been around the farm all their lives but most farm accidents happen to people who live and/ or work on the farm so familiarity is no safety net.

And it makes no odds whether they’ve been living on the farm all their life if the quad bike hits a rock or some other hazard and overturns - they are far more likely to be seriously hurt without helmets. It was the lack of helmets which struck me most actually. Just such a simple thing to sort- it’s a basic rule that you put it on before riding. I’m amazed anyone can think it’s ‘horrible’ to point that out

housinghelp101 Tue 03-Dec-19 17:07:10

I had a baby in SCBU and cannot imagine leaving it there for 3-4 days without anyone from the family even visiting it. Obviously it's needs are being cared for in hospital, but it's a newborn and one that is ill. I would expect my partner in that case to employ someone to help on the farm so he could be more at home. I assume Amanda made her own decision based on what she thought was best, which is fair enough, but not something I can relate to at all. I would have thought the hospital would frown upon that too, when my DC was in my visits were noted in his file and their perception of how I was bonding with him.

housinghelp101 Tue 03-Dec-19 17:09:26

^that is obviously just my opinion though, doesn't in any way suggest her mothering is in any way not satisfactory.

Sistercharlie Tue 03-Dec-19 17:20:28

Acciocats if you read my post carefully you will see that I was referring to the overall thread as "horrible" : the general criticism of Amanda (her clothing choices, her leaving her child in hospital, her TV appearances etc ) I was not referring specifically to the quad bike safety issue in that context. Also - when I did comment on safety - I very carefully and deliberately referred to specific dangers about raising livestock, so please don't twist my words.

derxa Tue 03-Dec-19 17:35:57

www.nfus.org.uk/userfiles/images/Policy/Farm%20Safety/2018%20-%20FSW%20030_sfl_July18.pdf
Farming is a dangerous industry and here is a cautionary tale. The above article features someone I know very well, Jimmy Warnock. What his daughter did was due to a lack of caution and being in a hurry. She's totally fine now.
However it is a dilemma. Should children never be outside on a farm?

housinghelp101 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:00:31

Sister Amanda has made the choice to actively put herself and the family out there. I didn't realise quite how 'out there' she is - it seems her calendar is heavily booked - so I can't see why people are not allowed to have an opinion, even if it's criticism? I can't imagine she's the type to really care either, I don't suppose she's crying over the back of this thread. The HSE (and their opinion does matter) have spoken out against them since they first appeared and the Owens haven't felt the need to toe the line, so I doubt they are going to feel bullied into wearing overalls or donning helmets because a few mumsnetters have expressed concern.

Acciocats Tue 03-Dec-19 18:06:08

Derxa of course children should be outside on a farm! But it needs to be with proper supervision, not whizzing around on quad bikes like that or climbing on hay bales.

Farming is an interesting one because in practically any other job, you’d have to organise childcare, you couldn’t just drag your kids along to work, but of course there’s a lot of blurred boundaries when you’re living on the job like the Owens are. I do think there’s a balance to be struck though: if they were both needed to be working on the farm maybe organising some level of proper childcare would be sensible, because no way can you be supervising children adequately when you’re operating machinery. It’s hard to believe they’re really strapped for cash- why have 9 children (11 in his case) if they are? There was also a strong feeling (as with that other well known big family!) that the older children were there to serve the needs of the parents with childcare etc which really isn’t fair.

Sistercharlie Tue 03-Dec-19 18:08:10

I never said people weren't allowed an opinion housinghelp1.
I simply expressed my own!

derxa Tue 03-Dec-19 18:28:21

This has been fascinating. The fact is that the Owens are very unusual in that they have so many children, Amanda has this media career etc.
Most farm children have lives just like your kids. They go to school, after school clubs and hobbies. They go to university and don't go into farming. Farmer's wives go out to work (they need to) and their children go to childcare and nursery.
There are many different types of farming apart from sheep farming which is probably the most child friendly. Farmers don't tend to have so many of their own machinery now. They hire in contractors. So many variables.

Acciocats Tue 03-Dec-19 18:35:37

Yes they’re certainly not a typical family. It seems impossible these days though to do a reality show without there being some attention grabbing angle to it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »