Talk

Advanced search

Our Yorkshire Farm

(164 Posts)
sniffingthewax Sun 10-Nov-19 09:47:17

Have watched this family for years and read her books. Age is really catching up on Clive, he can hardly bend over now, it is very apparent in this new series. I don't like how the programme is becoming more contrived, it's obvious a lot of it is staged for the camera.

Adollop Sun 10-Nov-19 09:56:23

I've just started watching it for the first time and really enjoyed it. I'll have to see if the older ones are on catch up - how many have I missed?

sniffingthewax Sun 10-Nov-19 10:01:11

The last series is all on catch up, there are four programmes I think. So pleased Raven got to uni, I was worried she would just stay looking after the little ones her whole life!

Adollop Sun 10-Nov-19 10:26:28

Thanks, that'll keep me busy tonight smile

Moominfan Sun 10-Nov-19 10:34:54

What channel or catch up service is this on?

BlessedBeTheFruitCake Sun 10-Nov-19 10:41:18

The little ones are so good, really sweet when they went out for a picnic and were talking about what they wanted to be when they grew up 😊

sniffingthewax Sun 10-Nov-19 11:01:02

Channel 5.

purpleme12 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:27:27

Ah I didn't know this was on! I would have watched it!

purpleme12 Sun 10-Nov-19 21:30:36

Oh has it just started this week? I can catch up on it then

Greenteandchives Sun 10-Nov-19 21:35:28

I am full of admiration for this lovely family. What beautiful children. Self assured and confident. Allowed to take risks and make decisions that would be difficult for most adults.

GetOffYourHighHorse Sun 10-Nov-19 22:38:53

The mother was on the panel on Jeremy Vine last week and also on The One Show, for a family apparently keen for a basic life they seem to want to always be on the telly.

I agree with you op, it has now become very contrived.

sniffingthewax Mon 11-Nov-19 00:09:49

The children appear to have a lovely life in the outdoors, but I do feel sort of sad for them that they have no opportunity to do anything other than the farm. Amanda in particular seems to be following her dream and expects the children to fulfill this dream by helping.
I;m so relieved that Raven got off to university, throughout the books her role was solely to look after the younger children so they didn't have to go out with Amanda and Clive. Amanda said that another baby is not out of the question, at 45 and 75? I think they should take stock of what they have. She seems quite detached from the children at times, I remember reading that one of them was premature and had to stay in intensive care after birth, but Amanda wanted to go back to the farm so she visited once or twice a week.
I saw the agricultural HSE made a comment that they were concerned about the health and safety breaches shown on the program, but judging by the new series they didn't take them on board.

HowlsMovingBungalow Tue 12-Nov-19 21:03:40

I think they are a lovely family - twice on tv to promote their new series, hardly contrived.

Looobyloo Tue 12-Nov-19 21:24:06

I love this programme and I.live the fact they're not obsessed with elf and safety. They've managed to raise and keep 9 children safe so they must be doing something right.
The children all seem very happy, confident and well adjusted with many skills and a no nonsense approach to life, how refreshing!

maxbabi Tue 12-Nov-19 22:10:35

Completely agree looby

GetOffYourHighHorse Tue 12-Nov-19 22:11:56

'twice on tv to promote their new series, hardly contrived.'

They are frequently on the TV, before this current series there have been many others plus the books.

The mother admits herself she set out to find a man with a farm and she seems to have been keen to become a reality TV star. Yes it's all wellies and wooly jumpers, not the gloss of towie but her quest for fame and publicity is no different imo.

sniffingthewax Wed 13-Nov-19 05:53:49

How they (well Amanda) have had loads of media appearances in the past. Amanda also goes on a book signing tour every time too. Fair play to them, it has obviously paid off, they bought a 6 bed house up the road from Ravenseat that they have done up and are doing a holiday let business. A two bed in their area goes on average for £240k so they are obviously not as poor as she made out in the books.

fruitypancake Wed 13-Nov-19 06:39:52

My ds's have really enjoyed watching this with me and has made them/me realise that they should help out more

GetOffYourHighHorse Wed 13-Nov-19 08:15:05

'Fair play to them, it has obviously paid off, they bought a 6 bed house up the road from Ravenseat that they have done up and are doing a holiday let business'

Yes totally agree they've made loads of money out of it, they've done very well. I just find the repeated documentaries pretending they are all about the basic, non materialistic life very fake and tedious.

ChessieFL Wed 13-Nov-19 10:18:12

I haven’t seen any of their previous programmes but I have read a couple of the books. I don’t blame them for using media to make money - nine children don’t come cheap and farming isn’t known for bringing in lots of money. It’s probably worth pointing out to those who haven’t read the books that they don’t own Ravenseat - they’re tenant farmers so as soon as they’re no longer able to farm they will have to leave (hence buying the other house so they have somewhere else to live). I like them and think they come over well in the books and the bit of this current series I’ve seen.

Doubleraspberry Wed 13-Nov-19 10:51:19

I love this programme and I.live the fact they're not obsessed with elf and safety.

I enjoy this programme with my kids too, and read and enjoyed one of her books. But I did once fall into a rabbit hole and read a thread on a farming forum about the H&S concerns and it threw me. The stuff they are being picked up for kills people regularly: other farmers were horrified.

HowlsMovingBungalow Wed 13-Nov-19 10:52:14

Shit, I'm glad a hard working farmer and his large family has made enough money to buy their own property. His wife has written a few books and made some money - why not? They are hardly on the shill, unlike another very very large family I could mention.

sniffingthewax Wed 13-Nov-19 11:20:07

Yes totally agree they've made loads of money out of it, they've done very well. I just find the repeated documentaries pretending they are all about the basic, non materialistic life very fake and tedious

Admittedly I haven't read the most recent book but the first ones she really made out that they were living a hand to mouth existence and could not afford new shoes for the children. One of the children was supposedly wearing odd wellies as they couldn't buy new ones.

But I did once fall into a rabbit hole and read a thread on a farming forum about the H&S concerns and it threw me. The stuff they are being picked up for kills people regularly: other farmers were horrified

I read an article where a (farming) mother whose son died in a farming accident has a low level campaign against the program due to the numerous H&S breaches that endanger their dc's lives. Many in the farming community agree apparently and feel it brings the farming profession into disrepute.

GetOffYourHighHorse Wed 13-Nov-19 11:33:57

'His wife has written a few books and made some money - why not? '

Nothing wrong with it at all. It's worked very well, she wanted a farm and a large family and is making money out of it all, like a reality TV star.

Weve just seen it all so many times they have been on countless programmes. They sell the story of their 'basic' away from modern day life yet seem to have a TV crew there 24/7.

dottypotter Wed 13-Nov-19 14:54:48

well done to her and family and those crticising what have you done with your life?

Those children are ace all polite and well brought up kind and patient with each other.

kerstina Wed 13-Nov-19 17:51:10

I love this programme ! It is so refreshing and the children are a real credit to them ! The littlest ones are adorable . Made me realise how spoiled my own DC is !
It's also absolutely stunning scenery . I remember them being on Ben Fogle ages ago but will try and watch the catch ups of the first series.

Doubleraspberry Wed 13-Nov-19 18:46:57

those crticising what have you done with your life?

You’re kidding, right?

HowlsMovingBungalow Wed 13-Nov-19 18:58:58

To all those who've not read her books - her first autobiography popped up on my google book library today for 99p - The Yorkshire Sheperdess. It is a nice pleasant read. She certainly worked her backside off as a teen.

embolass Thu 14-Nov-19 06:23:39

Clive using the one mug for all the children to drink from at teatime had me in stiches. Then "let's get a proper look at her in the kitchen" as the new Shetland pony is led through the front door, love it!!

sniffingthewax Thu 14-Nov-19 09:22:48

embo I watched an old episode yesterday where Clive was in charge of breakfast and he just went around the table pouring orange juice into their mouths from the carton to save using a glass.

derxa Thu 14-Nov-19 11:41:50

but I do feel sort of sad for them that they have no opportunity to do anything other than the farm. Amanda in particular seems to be following her dream and expects the children to fulfill this dream by helping.
I'm not a great fan of Amanda's but this is a bit harsh. I'm sure a lot of the helping is contrived for the cameras. I grew up on a farm and loved working outside from a young age. The children will go into education and do other things just like farmers' children all over the country. The average age of farmers in the UK is around 59.

sniffingthewax Thu 14-Nov-19 13:15:26

derxa have you read the books? The children aren't able to do any extra curriculars or hobbies that are outside the farm. They don't leave the farm at all in the summer holidays. I don't mean it in a harsh way, but I find it a bit sad that they have no choice in the matter. If one wanted to do ballet, gymnastics, join the scouts or football there is no opportunity.

I'm not sure that they are leading the lives of a typical farming family? Albeit I know nothing about farming, but I had farming friends at school who lived 15-30 minutes away from a major town so staying behind after school to do activities wasn't an issue. They very much led a typical child's life, they were not relied upon to help. I very much think Amanda is living her dream, and she says at least 3 times in every program that everyone has to pitch in for it to work. She also said in a recent article that another baby is not out of the question. Will Raven be taken out of university to stay at home with the baby whilst Amanda farms? I hate the opening intro of the program where Raven is described as 'the one who looks after the children'. The others at least are described by their personalities or liking xyz. Their house really is not equipped to house 9 children, they have 3 bedrooms and Raven was doing her A level revision on the sofa with all the children around, so I would assume that she doesn't have a quiet space to do that in peace.

I'm not saying they have a terrible life or anything, the children seem very happy but this is TV, a lot of it is obviously staged, but I do see Amanda as increasingly selfish.

Limer Thu 14-Nov-19 17:17:43

I love seeing them on the farm, they do look like a lovely family. Amanda is obviously very media-savvy though, I wonder if she'd've had quite so many children if the fame hadn't come calling?

I don't like the gender stereotyping though, the boys enjoying fixing up old bikes while the girls are interested in ponies.

sniffingthewax Thu 14-Nov-19 17:35:49

Amanda is certainly not the stereotypical farmer's wife, I did sort of roll my eyes though when she was attempting to climb into the tractor in her mini skirt. I do wonder if her fashion sense (said skirt, large hoop earrings) are for the benefit of the TV or if she always dresse s like that.
Has there been any sign of Clive 's eldest 2 children?

Limer Thu 14-Nov-19 17:59:17

I rolled my eyes at the mini skirt and earrings too sniffing! And her hair, blowing round in the wind getting all over her face. That can't be practical, why not tie it back like the girls do?

dottypotter Fri 15-Nov-19 13:35:33

I expect they live to far away from anywhere to do extra curricular activities its an hour just to school.

Lovely family pity there arent more about like that.

MarziPam Sat 16-Nov-19 11:37:21

'rolled my eyes at the mini skirt and earrings too sniffing! And her hair, blowing round in the wind getting all over her face. That can't be practical, why not tie it back like the girls do?'

Yes she's always flinging her hair about in interviews too.

Wonder if once the kids have grown up we'll get a spate of books 'growing up with a fame hungry mother'.

dottypotter Mon 18-Nov-19 15:41:47

Wonder if once the kids have grown up we'll get a spate of books 'growing up with a fame hungry mother'.

jealous arent you because over 2 million ppl arent tuning into watching you every week and buying your books. You would love it if you could.

Stop being bitchy. Say good luck to her.

Apackoflips Mon 18-Nov-19 16:03:52

I admire Amanda and also think she is a little bit batty.
Nowt wrong wi' that though. Thank goodness for people who do things their own way .Life would be very dull if everyone conformed to an ideal.
The family as a whole seem to be very well rounded and it isnt damaging to the children to not take part in extra curricular activities all year round. Lots of children right in the centre of a cities do not have after school activities for many reasons and go home alone to watch tv. They survive .I am sure I saw that at certain times of the year the older children stay in the town during the week .If that is the case then they can do other things then if they wanted to.
I think Amanda is harking back to her modelling days and plays to the camera accordingly. But I doubt very much that she does this when there are no cameras and the older children are at school.

peony2325 Mon 18-Nov-19 20:33:58

Yes I think Amanda wrote in one of her books that at least one of the boys was played in the brass band in a local village/town and Clive would take him to practice each week.

The children have more opportunities for "extra curricular" activities than most could dream of! Horse riding, woodwork, tinkering with machinery, outdoor swimming...my parents spent a fortune for me just to have one hour's riding lesson a week.

MiniCooperLover Mon 18-Nov-19 21:35:55

Those children are amazing IMO. The toddlers were so articulate and learning about sheep and horses. My 8 year old would be clueless and that's more of a shame really. They all seem to be doing well. As for Amanda just because she lives and works on a farm doesn't mean she HAS to dress like a farmer does it? She certainly seems to pull her weight, if she wants to wear a miniskirt in Yorkshire at any time of year then she's brave (feel cold even thinking of it) but good for her.

sniffingthewax Tue 19-Nov-19 10:13:28

Those children are amazing IMO. The toddlers were so articulate and learning about sheep and horses. My 8 year old would be clueless and that's more of a shame really

Of course they know a lot about sheep and horses compared to your child because they live it 365 days a year. I actually thought the 3 year old's speech was quite delayed and she would have possibly benefited from nursery.

derxa Tue 19-Nov-19 10:31:19

As for Amanda just because she lives and works on a farm doesn't mean she HAS to dress like a farmer does it I am a farmer.. well I run a small sheep farm. I often don't 'dress like a farmer'.

sniffingthewax Tue 19-Nov-19 11:16:03

I'm not sure what stereotypical shepherdesses dress is, but her walking across the hill complaining about being freezing then the camera zooms in on her bare legs a bit attention seeking or inadequately dressed for the weather at the least. I was anxious watching her bending down in a closed pen with those massive hoops, if they caught on a sheep's horn or on the railings her earlobe would be ripped off. Obviously she's free to dress however she wishes though.

MiniCooperLover Tue 19-Nov-19 20:08:52

She has gone a bit mad with the make up and hair this week but I guess she just gets a bit excited by the idea of TV and she's quite young compared to Clive

HowlsMovingBungalow Tue 19-Nov-19 20:17:10

Not sure how her appearance has anything to do with her farming skills or ability to bring up well rounded children. But lets judge a woman on her makeup and hair.

purpleme12 Tue 19-Nov-19 20:27:51

I kind of agree i don't really think much either way of her appearance to be honest

Sharonthetotallyinsane Wed 20-Nov-19 20:37:59

I love this show! I’m as London as they come, but it looks a wonderful way of life (hard obviously), and the children all seem capable and pleasant. I’d like to see how upstairs is arranged and where they all fit in-unless I’ve missed that in a previous episode.

Wrigleys123 Wed 20-Nov-19 21:10:20

I love it too! Would anyone recommend the book or is it not worth a read?

HowlsMovingBungalow Wed 20-Nov-19 22:03:59

I'm reading her first autobiography - was 99p on google book store last week so snapped it up, it is worth a read.

ChessieFL Thu 21-Nov-19 06:38:31

There’s 3 books now Wrigleys! I would recommend them, they’re nice easy reads and very interesting about their way of life.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Thu 21-Nov-19 16:43:57

I think Amanda was originally a model for a bit,wasn't she? Probably explains her not 'looking like a farmer' although I'd disagree.

The thing I like most about the family is the positive langue used towards the children, it's so lovely and they in turn use it with one another.

Clive reminds me of my lovely late father in lawsmile

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Thu 21-Nov-19 16:44:47

And buying a guest house is sensible seeing as Clive won't be able to run the farm indefinitely unless one of the kids takes over.

sniffingthewax Thu 21-Nov-19 16:58:11

Amanda was an aspiring model, the only modelling she actually did was farming related. I caught up on the latest episode and can't see Clive lasting another 5 years on the farm. He seems young at heart but his bones certainly aren't.

Wrigleys123 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:16:07

I love them, really wish my daughter was having that kind of childhood, just without me having to do any of the hard work grin

spacepyramid Thu 21-Nov-19 19:10:22

I enjoyed the books and the programme, for some reason I find Amanda irritating though. I can't put my finger on what it is but it doesn't detract from my general enjoyment of the programme - what they are doing is interesting.

NationMcKinley Fri 22-Nov-19 12:55:10

I loved the first series and couldn’t wait for this one but I’m just not feeling it. The background music is dreadful and really intrusive. It all just seems so contrived, staged and smug.

Limer Fri 22-Nov-19 13:17:30

It's clearly very staged, the dates that the crew are there are obviously planned way in advance, and the activities are scheduled accordingly.

I'm worried about Clive, what if he falls ill or worse? Hope Amanda could carry on without him, maybe with one or more of the children. Maybe she'll get herself a toy boy grin

dottypotter Fri 22-Nov-19 14:37:39

Bet her children thank her when they are older for having a stable upbringing. All kids living in the same house with same parents. Dosent come any better.

spacepyramid Fri 22-Nov-19 14:55:28

Children can. and do, have a stable upbringing without having two parents in the house.

HowlsMovingBungalow Fri 22-Nov-19 15:10:56

All tv documentaries are staged, especially if the programme is set in certain season. Shock horror. Not sure why all the negative comments, as I said before this family is very different to the other very large family who relishes the #ads and massive holidays that are gifted.

dottypotter Fri 22-Nov-19 15:27:44

Children can. and do, have a stable upbringing without having two parents in the house.
Loads dont today. Loads are part of stepfamilies and or have half sibllings they dont see/dont live with etc. and all the rest of the crap that goes on today.

What a marvellous achievement in itself having 9 kids being married and being with the same man.

spacepyramid Fri 22-Nov-19 15:36:59

I think that's very belittling of you to talk about that as a marvellous achievement for a woman and ignore the part of the man in making the marriage a success or not. The achievement of men and women is far more than making a marriage a success or not - look at all that has been achieved which has made a real difference to the lives of millions?

You seem to be living in the dark ages.

sniffingthewax Fri 22-Nov-19 18:19:52

Dotty Amanda isn't old at all hmm Clive is much older and has 2 children from a previous marriage, so in theory they are a blended family. I'm not sure why having 9 (or 11 in his case) kids is a marvellous achievement, even if it is to the same man. What an odd argument.

sniffingthewax Fri 22-Nov-19 18:30:26

How I was thinking about the similarities between the Owens and the other #gifted large family and I think they are actually very similar. Lots of tv/media appearances in return for monetary gain, I'm sure lots of tax credits (which they're both entitled to of course) serious overcrowding of housing, the use of older children for childcare, a lack of interest in their schooling, an apparent desire to be in the limelight, high risk pregnancies etc. Of course the Owen's lifestyle appears to be very wholesome which sets them apart and is probably what makes them so palatable. If they were in a same sized council house down the road in Bradford they would be called all the names under the sun.

BanoffeeTart Sat 23-Nov-19 08:51:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cupoftea84 Sat 23-Nov-19 11:22:21

The kids helping out on the farm and not having many official extra curricular activities is not only standard for a lot of farming family's but lots of rural families. I think townies don't realise how little there is for kids in the countryside in terms of sporting facilities and such things. Especially in the north.

I'm sceptical she usually wears mini skirts so much but other than that and the number of kids it looks typical for a hill farmer.

spacepyramid Sat 23-Nov-19 11:29:46

What cupoftea84 said about the extra curricular activities rings true for me, I didn't grow up on a farm but spent a lot of time helping on farms, especially at sheep dipping or shearing time. When you grow up in a rural village with no public transport there isn't much else to do, I doubt that has changed much.

derxa Sat 23-Nov-19 12:13:07

Well I'm just grateful that I was brought up on a farm. It's stood me in good stead all my
You shouldn't feel one iota of pity for the children on that programme. Most of them will not stay on the farm. There isn't a living for all of them for a start
Once they reach 15 farm children go to the Young Farmers. Before that the rugby club and most farmer's wives ferry their kids to activities just as much as other mothers

sniffingthewax Sat 23-Nov-19 12:44:24

cupoftea last night I stumbled into a farming forum where they were sceptical about her dress too. One said they see Amanda out and about and she is never dressed like that, it is for the benefit of the cameras. There was strong suspicion that they are doing product placement for certain farming clothing brands too.
I didn't realise how much publicity she actually does, it seems she's in London at least one day a week for radio or tv. It would appear that she is trying to pull the sheep's wool over the public's eyes regarding their hand to mouth living. Their new place looks lovely though, so I suppose it has all been worthwhile.

sniffingthewax Sat 23-Nov-19 12:46:23

Derxa yes I'm sure you're right, I can't see Clive managing the sheep in ten years let alone the next generation.

UrsulaPandress Sat 23-Nov-19 13:27:24

I remember the original programme from many years ago. Didn't realise she had so many children now.

I too find it all a bit 'reality tv'.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sat 23-Nov-19 13:46:28

I'm sure she said on the last episode she'd given birth 9 times,poor woman has had a lot of losses if I heard right.

DownWentTheFlag Sat 23-Nov-19 13:50:53

mrs she has nine kids

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sat 23-Nov-19 13:57:20

Oh blush

I clearly can't count grin

DeepDarkWoods Sat 23-Nov-19 13:59:19

Sniffingthewax you sound a bit obsessed with them. They seem like a lovely family and are allowed to make a living. Enough said really.

BanoffeeTart Sat 23-Nov-19 13:59:45

sniffingthewax Sat 23-Nov-19 14:30:13

Deep not obsessed at all. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have an opinion on a family who have appeared on tv for years though. I'm not sure why you think that's a problem?

sniffingthewax Sat 23-Nov-19 14:31:15

I agree though that they do seem lovely.

spacepyramid Sat 23-Nov-19 15:53:36

If you're in the north you could go to
stables.org/event/adventures-of-the-yorkshire-shepherdess-an-evening-with-amanda-owen

BanoffeeTart Sat 23-Nov-19 16:56:37

spacepyramid Sat 23-Nov-19 17:12:24

Clive has two older children who are married with children of their own.

NationMcKinley Sat 23-Nov-19 17:20:21

I wonder if there’ll be a programme about doing up the new house too.....?

I do think Amanda would be fun to go out on the lash with (misses point entirely)

sniffingthewax Sat 23-Nov-19 19:39:10

I think a house reno programme would have been good. This is the house:

www.yorkshireshepherdess.com/stay-or-visit/the-firs/

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sat 23-Nov-19 23:33:38

Oh they show them in they kitchen in the programme,don't they?

I don't think it looks like £175 a night's worth tbh.

purpleme12 Sat 23-Nov-19 23:39:43

PP is talking about the house they let out as a holiday home not the one they live in

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Sun 24-Nov-19 00:10:17

They have filmed in the house in the link above as I recognise the kitchen.

MiniCooperLover Sun 24-Nov-19 18:45:51

They've definitely shown that kitchen in the programme ... I used the same tiles myself recently in our kitchen 😊

sniffingthewax Sun 24-Nov-19 20:40:57

The actual house looks lovely, can't say the decor follows. The bedrooms look like the local Oxfam was raided. I thought Amanda would have been very artistic. The ugly plasma tv mounted onto the natural stone wall in the living room is a travesty.

DarlingNikita Mon 25-Nov-19 14:37:41

Shit, I'm glad a hard working farmer and his large family has made enough money to buy their own property. His wife has written a few books and made some money - why not?

I couldn't agree more. And I think the kids are lovely; capable, thoughtful, sensible. They're a great family IMO. More power to them.

dottypotter Wed 27-Nov-19 16:02:09

Clemmy is super cute.

They have had another baby it looks like.

dottypotter Wed 27-Nov-19 16:04:36

last night I stumbled into a farming forum where they were sceptical about her dress too. One said they see Amanda out and about and she is never dressed like that, it is for the benefit of the cameras. There was strong suspicion that they are doing product placement for certain farming clothing brands too.

so what if they are? Nothing you wouldnt do if you had the opportunity. She can dress how she wants too so can you.

purpleme12 Wed 27-Nov-19 16:06:05

@dottypotter really? Where did you hear that? Cos I can't find anything about it

DogAndCatPerson Wed 27-Nov-19 16:12:55

Dotty is one of the family or their PR machine.

purpleme12 Wed 27-Nov-19 16:28:16

But why make up something about having another baby?!

Limer Wed 27-Nov-19 16:36:18

The programme finished in late Aug/Sept, Amanda wasn't pregnant (or if she was, she can't have been very far on)?

DogAndCatPerson Wed 27-Nov-19 16:37:18

Who knows.

Or they are one of those superfan people who leap in to White Knight and defend their beloved z list reality celeb at every opportunity.

ApplesinmyPocket Wed 27-Nov-19 16:52:22

I thought she'd had a new baby today too! A magazine tweeted a picture of the family and Dad is holding a small baby. On closer inspection though I realised it was an old photograph, as the children all look a couple of years younger than they are now. Maybe that's what Dotty saw.

I love this programme, I have to say. It looks sort of idyllic and tiresome at the same time. Nice to see three of them taking up brass (I have a brass band player too.) The kids seem lovely and I like what we've seen of Dad, he seems kind and humorous.

spacepyramid Wed 27-Nov-19 16:55:13

If she was pregnant then she must have been 5/6 months.

sniffingthewax Wed 27-Nov-19 17:35:46

Dotty I don't give a fig how much money they make or how many product placements they do (well done them, I'm sure with 9 kids they need it). I just see it the same way that the other large family keep going on about being self sufficient and benefit refusers; they are trying to portray themselves in a light that is deceitful. I must admit that it doesn't come across so much in the programmes, but in the books there was a fairly consistent poverty narrative throughout, which obviously isn't the case.

Regarding her clothing, of course she can wear what she likes but I did wonder if that was perhaps something she did to make herself stand out a bit for the views. She is very attractive and undoubtedly her mini skirts, off the shoulder tops, make up etc make her more of a novelty/curiosity within the context of her job/lifestyle. Indeed someone on the forum said she was trying to appeal to men 'who have an eye for the female form'. Totally up to her, but for me if it is true that her usual attire isn't mini skirts then she is trying to court the media which I find quite inauthentic and disingenious. On the note of clothing, there certainly seemed to be mother/daughter rivalry between her and Raven on the latest one, with Raven saying at least if she went to uni Amanda wouldn't steal her clothes. I'm really pleased for her that she got into university.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »