Talk

Advanced search

The Crown - series 3

(679 Posts)
southeastdweller Fri 08-Nov-19 22:45:11

I'm so looking forward to seeing this when it returns next Sunday!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXYfgpqb8A

AllYouGoodGoodPeople Sun 01-Dec-19 13:28:24

I do miss the raw sexual chemistry Claire and Matt had too. You always felt they were about to fall into bed at any moment, even in the middle of a blazing row I believe that's exactly what the DM are trying to insinuate with their latest article about CF and MS being such good friends...

I think TM was acting like how you'd expect Prince Phillip to be. But no, he and OC didnt have much chemistry.

noodlenosefraggle Sun 01-Dec-19 14:55:59

I believe that's exactly what the DM are trying to insinuate with their latest article about CF and MS being such good friends...
Eek yes that was a bit of crystal ball gazing on my part!

MarshaBradyo Sun 01-Dec-19 14:57:22

Prince Philip especially and Charles made it

I wasn’t convinced by Olivia C unfortunately except when she said the scathing ‘no one’ line to Charles

MarshaBradyo Sun 01-Dec-19 14:59:06

Looking forward to Princess Di’s entry

Also the Aberfan episode was so sad

Overall I thought each was excellent. Especially Philip’s unhappiness

GiantKitten Mon 02-Dec-19 13:02:25

Great article about Princess Alice sheltering Jews in Athens (& hiding it from suspicious Nazi son-in-law shock)

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/01/princess-alice--saved--my-famils-from-nazis-in-wartime-greece?

NigesFakeWalkingStick Mon 02-Dec-19 14:51:32

Shameless (or not so shamelessly) admitting I've binged the entire 3 series in little more than a week. I picked the first episode up a couple of years ago and never went back to to, but now, brilliant. I'm a mid 80s child but did know about Aberfan (no connection to wales either), but asked my mother (mid 50s) who can't really recall ever knowing about it.

Either way that episode really stuck with me and I shed a few tears.

I haven't been as keen on this series (3) as the other two, I much preferred Vanessa Kirby as Margaret and Tobias Menzies as Phillip. I suffer the same thing when I see OC (who is actually I am cousins fourth removed or something) and tend to just see her rather than the queen.

Unexpectedly I think I liked the conversations with the prime ministers the most of the series. The gentleness that Winston was portrayed in (especially the scene when they went to Downing Street) really made me well up.

Have a horrendous crush on Matthew Goode now too grin

missclimpson Mon 02-Dec-19 15:06:44

I was disappointed overall. Didn't like OC or HB-C.
I hated the way they mucked about with the facts and made things up. Not sure why any of that was necessary.
It may be because I remember it so clearly. I was 16 when Aberfan happened and the royal documentary, moon landings, investiture were the summer we got married.

thenightsky Mon 02-Dec-19 15:06:59

NigesFakeWalkingStick

Its strange that your mum doesn't remember the Aberfan disaster. I was born in the very late 50s and remember it. I was at a small village primary school in the Yorkshire Dales and remember us all walking down to the church every morning for about a week for a special services to pray for the children of Aberfan. There was a lot of talk and grown ups weeping as we were the same ages as the children who died.

NigesFakeWalkingStick Mon 02-Dec-19 15:21:11

@thenightsky sorry, I remember she said she recalled a mining accident but not the word Aberfan - my mistake!

MarshaBradyo Mon 02-Dec-19 15:21:59

I asked my parents and they did remember it

LargeAndInCharge Wed 11-Dec-19 10:31:39

Bit late to this party, but I have watched 3 episodes of season 3 and am sacking it off. Do not like OC and HBC, at all, yes they look far too old for the roles and are crap actors compared to the previous 2, essentially. TM is doing a good job as Prince Phillip but the other 2, nah. OC is not a patch on Claire Foy and its ruined now. I will find something better to watch. shame as I loved the first 2 seasons

Pinkarsedfly Thu 12-Dec-19 07:34:16

I’ve just finished series 3. I was a bit disappointed.

I found it a bit too exposition-heavy, which I hadn’t noticed before in the other series. ‘You look sad Pheelip.’
‘Yars, I thenk I’m hevving a mid-life crisis’
Kind of thing. No work for me to do.

I thought they whitewashed David. He wouldn’t have been that great a King, goosestepping up and down Buckingham Palace’s corridors.

I thought OC improved in the role as the Queen’s age caught up with her own. HBC kept reminding me of the Queen of Hearts from Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.

And the fictionalising was a bit heavy. All in all, I felt like I was watching Downton Abbey at times. Not that I ever watched it.

Things I did like - Princess Ann is bloody brilliant. The new Queen Mother is far more convincing than Victoria Hamilton. And the Aberfan episode was superb.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 12-Dec-19 07:37:24

Erin Doherty has been ignored by all the major TV awards bodies but I thought she was outstanding.

Sparklybaublefest Thu 12-Dec-19 08:29:52

I really didnt like the episode about Camilla, made the RF look really bad, it was uncomfortable.

Sparklybaublefest Thu 12-Dec-19 08:30:50

i think they should have stopped while they were ahead, after 2 series.

diddl Thu 12-Dec-19 09:31:00

" made the RF look really bad, it was uncomfortable."

It was made up bollocks, wasn't it?

Sparklybaublefest Fri 13-Dec-19 19:43:08

who knows ddl

Pinkshoelace Fri 13-Dec-19 22:26:48

I watched two episodes and gave up.

I enjoyed the first two seasons, but something doesn't feel quite right about this.

I like Olivia Coleman, but I don't think she is right for this role. She's too soft and normal somehow. I think Claire Foy really demonstrated the cold edge that the Queen has, whereas Olivia Coleman doesn't really.

MissEliza Sun 15-Dec-19 19:33:57

I've abandoned this series. Olivia Colman, sadly, just couldn't pull it off. However what really annoyed me was the liberties taken with the facts. I know it's a drama but some stuff was just too far from the truth to be acceptable eg Margaret at the White House and Phillip attending the Aberfan funerals then telling her Maj about the singing.

southeastdweller Sun 15-Dec-19 20:44:20

I think this series was the weakest of the three so far. I felt there was more clunky exposition than what there was in the first two series's and like so many of us on here, I question some of the casting decisions, in particular HBC as Margaret. I never saw Margaret, only HBC. I wonder if the casting people were under pressure by Netflix to cast famous names to bring in more subscribers given the cost of making the show?

RockingMyFiftiesNot Mon 16-Dec-19 18:36:36

So glad to read these comments. I was late to the first two series and devoured them but am finding series 3 hard work.
Just in the episode with Princess Anne and Andrew Parker-Bowles- I didn't know they had dated

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 16-Dec-19 19:32:44

Apparently that's not in that past tense @RockingMyFiftiesNot wink

RockingMyFiftiesNot Mon 16-Dec-19 19:55:53

shock

keiratwiceknightly Thu 19-Dec-19 19:32:45

Finished series 3 last night. Still excellent tv - in particular the Aberfan episode which was brilliantly done - but I've not warmed to the new cast like I did the first one. Olivia Colman is such a good actress, but she is too animated and reactive for the Queen, IMO, Claire Foy really demonstrated the stillness she must have trained herself into in order to not react in multiple tricky situations.

MissEliza Thu 26-Dec-19 14:09:44

I didn't like the line made by OC after she visited some Aberfan families about forcing herself to cry. No one knows whether the Queen's tears were genuine or not.Many, if not most, will think it is a fact that she forced herself to cry. Also the episode about Aberfan played down the involvement of Lord Snowdon in relief efforts. I remember reading a journalist saying he'd gone to interview a family and found Lord Snowdon in a tiny miner's home making everyone tea. He doesn't have the greatest image. It would have been nice if he'd got the credit he'd deserved in this episode.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »