Talk

Advanced search

Gold Digger BBC 1 **NO SPOILERS** [[edited by MNHQ]]

(266 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

unique1986 Thu 07-Nov-19 15:54:17

Illicit drama starting next Tuesday 9pm.

Looks good!

ReturnofSaturn Thu 07-Nov-19 16:12:55

Ooh thanks. Just set it to record now so I don't forget.

NurseButtercup Fri 08-Nov-19 15:25:57

I was just about to cancel my TV licence but after seeing this and the reviews for guilt I'll hold off until next year.

Thanks for the heads up.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 09-Nov-19 15:11:07

Looks good. Older woman. Young man

Gold digger or in love

southeastdweller Tue 12-Nov-19 18:11:58

Looking forward to this.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 12-Nov-19 20:08:21

Starts in less then an hour

QueenOfTheAndals Tue 12-Nov-19 21:02:51

Julian Ormond can't be 60, surely? I remember her from her brief mid-90s heyday, she was so beautiful.

southeastdweller Tue 12-Nov-19 21:08:06

She's 54 irl.

2Rebecca Tue 12-Nov-19 21:11:53

That's ridiculous. There are actresses nearer 60 who can do it. She looks mid 50s too

Oblomov19 Tue 12-Nov-19 21:14:41

Saw it. Looks good. Can't wait!

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Tue 12-Nov-19 21:20:58

I must have been on MN too much, cos I keep thinking this ought to be called Cocklodger.

I think Julia Ormond is just about believable as 60, albeit well-preserved. She obviously hasn't had any work done and you can see that she has fine lines. She is still gorgeous!

I'm watching now. I hope Benjamin does turn out to be genuine and like her for who she is, but from a drama point of view that seems unlikely...

Ouchmyleg Tue 12-Nov-19 21:31:17

Enjoying so far!

Ouchmyleg Tue 12-Nov-19 21:33:37

I take it she’s footing the bill for all of this?

Span1elsRock Tue 12-Nov-19 21:33:41

I'm enjoying it, but struggling to believe she's 60 tbh.

She's amazingly attractive, I loved her in First Knight, one of my favourite films.

southeastdweller Tue 12-Nov-19 21:36:13

Julia McKenzie is a great actress but too young to play that character.

FLOrenze Tue 12-Nov-19 21:37:33

I think if he was a goody he would not have let her buy him the watch.

Ouchmyleg Tue 12-Nov-19 21:39:03

The older brother barely moved his mouth when he speaks

QueenOfTheAndals Tue 12-Nov-19 21:42:23

Son #1 is... odd.

QueenOfTheAndals Tue 12-Nov-19 21:42:57

And what were those flashbacks about?

nokidshere Tue 12-Nov-19 21:44:34

@southeastdweller why? She's about to turn 79 irl

I'm 59 and my mum is 77

Janaih Tue 12-Nov-19 21:45:55

this is drawing me in. may have shouted "red flags!" at the telly once or twice.

FLOrenze Tue 12-Nov-19 21:48:42

Are the flashbacks indicating that the husband was violent.?

Janaih Tue 12-Nov-19 21:53:58

young son needs a punch in the face angry

MissLadyM Tue 12-Nov-19 21:55:35

She easily looks 60 I think. She's got terrible smokers lines around her mouth. Her lovely hair makes her more youthful. Julia MC is far too young to play her mum though.

I'm a bit behind but my instinct is that he's A wrong 'un. Apart from her, everyone is so irritating!

QueenOfTheAndals Tue 12-Nov-19 21:58:52

I'm trying to figure out if they've aged her up with makeup or not.

TheWhatWhats Tue 12-Nov-19 22:00:19

Looking forward to the next one.

Janaih Tue 12-Nov-19 22:01:20

I think the camera is doing it's best to focus on her face lines. which is hard because she's gorgeous.

Susiesoap7 Tue 12-Nov-19 22:07:08

I'm liking this, not sure about her kids though!
Hope she has her money locked away lol 😂 then she'll be ok !

IcedPurple Tue 12-Nov-19 22:08:03

I liked it. Young lover boy so obviously screams "dodgy" that I'm wondering if actually he's fine? The older son is a bit strange too.

Janaih Tue 12-Nov-19 22:09:34

kids actual bell ends.

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Tue 12-Nov-19 22:10:30

If the husband was abusive, and her grownup children are so feckless and self-absorbed, I can see why having a fling with a young hottie would be appealing. But marrying him? That didn't ring true, for an obviously wealthy woman who would doubtless have spent a lot of time and effort protecting her assets during the divorce. I don't think we were given enough doubt from her about his motives, and the skipping forward a year didn't help. Still, it did intrigue me enough to stick with it for now! Agree that older son is an oddball.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 12-Nov-19 22:13:31

Ooh, it's all available to download.
No spoilers though obvs.

IcedPurple Tue 12-Nov-19 22:18:47

Yeah.... she meets a fit man half her age in a museum and he pursues her enthusiastically? How likely is that. Of course Julia Ormond is a very attractive woman, but still, surely she should have at least some doubts about his motives? And as someone in a previous post just said, shagging him, fine, but marrying him?

The elder son is definitely odd. Plus, seems that pretty boy has found out he's cheating on his wife - presumably with his colleague - and is blackmailing him to ensure he won't try to put a stop to the marriage? I think?

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 12-Nov-19 22:23:41

Sorry can someone can explain something as I think I must not have been paying full attention....

So it skipped forward at the end to them getting married? But then next episode trailer it seems to show it going back to 'present day'? Is that right?

narcdad45 Tue 12-Nov-19 22:24:57

She hasn't married him, she was invited to a wedding and took him (I think).
I'm episode 2 and liking it.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 12-Nov-19 22:25:27

Yes

Ouchmyleg Tue 12-Nov-19 22:37:43

@narcdad45 it really looked like it was their wedding? The speech he was practicing.

2Rebecca Tue 12-Nov-19 22:40:14

Surely most of the "kids" inheritance will be coming from their dad anyway. Why aren't they worried about their dad's new partner? Men go off with younger women all the time and the younger women usually are financially dependant on the middle aged men.
I earn more than my current husband who is less wealthy than my first husband. If I divorce and take off with a bloke in his 30s should my son get upset and feel I'm being taken advantage of?

2Rebecca Tue 12-Nov-19 22:43:23

I thought it was their wedding and next week it goes back in time again. Todays episode opened with her running away from her wedding.
I prefer my stories to be chronological

Craftycorvid Tue 12-Nov-19 22:48:26

It’s fun but ludicrous. How on earth did Julia make her obvious wads of cash? How come her kids are all so utterly unpleasant? How come she can’t see the younger bf has ‘creepy’ written all over him? Yep, will probably watch the next episode....grin

narcdad45 Tue 12-Nov-19 22:52:40

It's streaming on iplayer, I'm on second episode and really enjoying it, makes more sense now.

BuckingFrolics Tue 12-Nov-19 22:53:16

I liked it a lot. I hope he's not the gold digger- it'd be lovely to see something where the older woman comes out on top

Karcheer Tue 12-Nov-19 22:54:06

There’s definitely a second story of something that happened when the children were younger.
I bet he endS up normal and the kids kill him.

bellabelly Tue 12-Nov-19 22:55:54

I really enjoyed it - liked the way that the daughter and the daughter in law stood up for her right to be happy. The scene in the restaurant when the women had gone to the loo was brilliant, the men were like dogs sizing each other up. Youngest son very annoying and self absorbed! I really really want her lovely house.

PrincessScarlett Tue 12-Nov-19 22:56:20

Really enjoyed this but struggled with Julia looking 60 as she looks amazing.

Julia's kids are thoroughly unpleasant. I'm assuming their lack of respect is learned behaviour from their father treating her badly.

Was trying to place Benjamin all episode then it dawned on me that he's Prince Caspian from the Narnia films. I really hope that he's genuine. Julia deserves it after enduring a shitty marriage and horrible kids.

TheUnquestionedAnswer Tue 12-Nov-19 22:56:48

I wonder what gold digger's tattoo was about?

MorrisZapp Tue 12-Nov-19 23:00:57

This is absolutely the biggest pile of shite I've ever seen. Nobody has any chemistry whatsoever with anyone else, they all look odd and awkward with each other.

Older son looks like Rickaaaay from Eastenders.

And she obviously isn't a mumsnetter, or she'd know the rules about introducing new partners to your kids. You wait two years, not two nights in a luxury hotel.

beanaseireann Tue 12-Nov-19 23:14:58

Intrigued by the tatoo he tried to hide.

2Rebecca Tue 12-Nov-19 23:31:54

The younger son played a rent boy in the BBC Japanese series on recently. He's a good actor if they give him more depth. Younger bloke seems to have become more boring. What happened to the museums and walks. I hope he does actually work. I don't get why anyone of either sex takes up with freeloaders.

Groovinpeanut Tue 12-Nov-19 23:43:13

Did anybody get a glimpse of the tattoo he hid?
I am enjoying this. When she hissed "Don't make me choose" I had a aaaaaagh moment shock

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 12-Nov-19 23:59:25

I've just started ep 4 thinking it was the last one and there's actually 6.
I'll have to go to bed after this one.

narcdad45 Wed 13-Nov-19 00:10:46

@IHaveBrilloHair same here! 🤣 it's bloody addictive isn't it! This is my last one! I've got to get up at 6am and get kids to school then off to work - will suffer tomorrow but I'm hooked!

OnlyTheTitOfTheIceberg Wed 13-Nov-19 00:44:53

2Rebecca it’s not the same actor as in Giri/Haji, they’ve just got the same haircut.

I found it very mannered and lacking in chemistry but am sufficiently intrigued with the children’s backstory and the is he/isn’t he dodgy question to stick with it.

MorrisZapp Wed 13-Nov-19 08:16:42

Ok I admit I'm watching it because like half the nation I'd fecking love some young buck to chat me up in a museum and give me a thorough seeing to in a five star gaff.

But what I wouldn't do is then decide said buck should meet the people closest to me before I've even visited his house or found out his second name.

This laddie has FWB written all over him. Nobody on earth would attempt to promote him to DP before he'd seriously proved himself.

Gah, now I'm going to have to see how it plays out...

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 13-Nov-19 08:38:04

MorrisZapp there's a definite element of wish-fulfilment about it. I'm 40, not 60, but I don't look as good as Julia and god knows what I'll look like in another 20 years, but I was watching the first half an hour rather wistfully. The idea that he was as interested in her intelligence as anything else was quite appealing. But if course, in reality, I would be immediately suspicious of a man like that who was much younger and more attractive than me. I would put a lot more effort into probing his motives than just saying "Why not go for a woman your own age?" and accepting a vague answer about being hurt in the past. And I don't even have shedloads of money to spend on a toyboy.

It is entertaining nonsense, though, and I do want to know what he's really up to, so I'm sure I'll keep watching.

Almahart Wed 13-Nov-19 08:45:06

It’s a bit plodding but I’m sticking with it. Youngest son is loathsome isn’t he

2Rebecca Wed 13-Nov-19 09:13:16

Just seen ep 1 but I hope she visits his place soon. When she said she didnt want to spend her time in a hotel that should have been the time to visit the flat of the well dressed well spoken 33 year old. I agree that the dramatic meet the kids thing wouldnt happen in real life. She rarely sees them anyway and would just start mentioning him in conversation. The pair of them seem to be living off money someone else has earned as museum curators aren't paid much so maybe that's why she's so happy to fritter money away

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 13-Nov-19 09:43:38

@2Rebecca I too initially thought the younger son was Will Sharpe from Giri/Haji but it's just the bleached hair.

narcdad45 Wed 13-Nov-19 09:58:46

It's actually very emotive as there is a huge element of emotional abuse going on, power play and dysfunctional relationships too, will watch the last 2 tonight.

NurseButtercup Wed 13-Nov-19 10:20:58

Yeah.... she meets a fit man half her age in a museum and he pursues her enthusiastically? How likely is that.

But...it does happen, not necessarily in a museum, younger men do pursue older women all the timr. The instances we hear about happen overseas in the carribbean, Tunisia and a few other African countries.

StrawberryGoo Wed 13-Nov-19 10:24:46

Wow I had forgotten how beautiful Ben Barnes is

Mrskeats Wed 13-Nov-19 10:35:13

Did we decide they definitely got married? I am on ep. 2

Janaih Wed 13-Nov-19 11:08:05

for me it's reminiscent of dirty John on Netflix (a true story).

Dreamscomingtrue Wed 13-Nov-19 11:12:29

She was in a wedding dress and jumped into a car, she may have been running away before the ceremony?

narcdad45 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:31:49

@Mrskeats they are not married

Polkadotdelight Wed 13-Nov-19 12:31:41

I'm on episode 2 and really enjoying it. I just hope I'm not disappointed.

Mrskeats Wed 13-Nov-19 13:47:42

Oh ok thanks narcdad45
Must have been half asleep watching it!

Meltedicicle Wed 13-Nov-19 13:58:41

Just watched the first episode- loved it! Unlike pp I think it is believable. You can see that Julia is doubting his motives but is so vulnerable and wants to believe he is genuine that she is pushing her doubts aside. He was definitely in the right place at the right time!

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 13-Nov-19 14:27:11

Meltedicicle I can definitely see how the attention would have given her a boost after having a crap milestone birthday which all her children neglected. I wouldn't have blamed her at all for that. I just don't think she was so suggestible that she would have wanted to marry the guy...

As for right place, right time, I'm wondering if it will turn out that it wasn't such a big coincidence after all. It was just too handy that he happened to be standing there just when she was looking at a (removed) exhibit that she knew all about. Surely there was some forethought or planning involved?

dottypotter Wed 13-Nov-19 14:56:53

couldnt be bothered with this another 6 parter drags on then its a let down at the end.

ooooohbetty Wed 13-Nov-19 15:31:41

Am currently on episode 4. Really enjoying it. Looked on IMDb to see where I knew Julia from and was the French mother in Mad Men. She was great in that.

MorrisZapp Wed 13-Nov-19 15:32:45

I keep thinking it's Ruth Jones.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 13-Nov-19 15:51:54

Just started it. I have friends who look like her and are 60. Wrt her smokers lines,I have lines and never smoked,that's what wrinkles look like,I think we're all to used to seeing plumped up filled lips these days.

Glad it's all on at once ,I love it when I can binge watch a series.

Agingdisgracefully Wed 13-Nov-19 15:59:15

Day off work so,be just watched it all. Won't give any spoilers but it gets better

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 13-Nov-19 16:08:37

Nice to see Greenwich market,used to live 5 mins from there smile

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 13-Nov-19 16:19:00

Julia MC is far too young to play her mum though she isn't her mum,she's her mother in-law and not too young at all.

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 13-Nov-19 16:24:35

Julia McKenzie is only 16 years older than Alex Jennings IRL, so while it's not entirely ridiculous, they could have done to age her up a bit. Not that I'm especially bothered! I only notice really egregious examples of this sort of thing, i.e. Angelina Jolie playing Colin Farrell's mum in Alexander.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 13-Nov-19 16:43:55

It's good so far,the dinner was toe curling!

dogsdinnerlady Wed 13-Nov-19 17:21:07

Saw the actress who plays daughter in a re-run of One Man Two Guv'nors last week. She was really good at comedy. What was divorced DH's job? That mansion in Devon must be worth millions.
Julia does seem naive but there are stories every week about seemingly sensible older women sending their life savings to bail out a man they met online. I don't find Ben remotely attractive, too ferrety and thin-faced.

hopeishere Wed 13-Nov-19 18:04:51

I enjoyed it! That hotel was lush!! What else was the daughter in?

EoinMcLovesCakeJumper Wed 13-Nov-19 18:15:18

She was in Lost in Austen a while back, and The Black Dahlia.

Elderflower14 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:21:39

Loved JO in the remake of Sabrina many years ago. Am looking forward to episode 2 next week.

IcedPurple Wed 13-Nov-19 18:33:42

But...it does happen, not necessarily in a museum, younger men do pursue older women all the timr. The instances we hear about happen overseas in the carribbean, Tunisia and a few other African countries.

Right. But not in say, Sweden or Germany? And these men don't pursue older women from their own countries, do they? So the motive is obviously financial, as appears to be the case here.

narcdad45 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:51:17

@Mrskeats 🤣 I did doubt myself about this too but watched 3 more episodes on iplayer, final 2 tonight once kids in bed, love it!

ooooohbetty Wed 13-Nov-19 19:03:31

Everyone lives in gorgeous houses in this.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 13-Nov-19 19:24:43

Jemima Rooper who plays the daughter (and isn't really young enough to be JO's child IRL!) started off as George in the 90s adaptation of The Famous Five. But

Ouchmyleg Wed 13-Nov-19 19:27:17

Julia is gorgeous!! I’m so glad she’s not a size 8, perfectly highlighted doll as well.

Elderflower14 Wed 13-Nov-19 20:16:35

Jemima Rooper was also in the remake of The Railway Children playing Bobbie.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 13-Nov-19 20:17:32

Just finished it, really enjoyed it though I think it's definitely a binge watch, it would be annoying for watching over 6 weeks.
I have to say though, my favourite character was the absolutely stunningly beautiful housegrin

Ouchmyleg Wed 13-Nov-19 21:19:44

How the duck is she a millionaire?!

StrawberryGoo Wed 13-Nov-19 21:23:56

I don’t think this is a spoiler because it doesn’t give the plot away but just in case...

Was the “don’t make me choose” scene in the garage repeated in 2 episodes or am I going mad?

Ouchmyleg Wed 13-Nov-19 21:50:34

I don’t think it was Strawberry it was in the fast forward part to when they get married I think.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 13-Nov-19 22:09:28

Nikki Amuka-Bird's wardrobe in this is fabulous!

StrawberryGoo Wed 13-Nov-19 22:17:35

Thanks ouch!

I’ve now finished it and really enjoyed it!

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 13-Nov-19 22:18:19

Was the “don’t make me choose” scene in the garage repeated in 2 episodes don't think so,did you get confused with a recap?

StrawberryGoo Wed 13-Nov-19 22:18:26

queenoftheandals

I agree except for that red Patterned dress with the sort of random white pinky corset on

2Rebecca Wed 13-Nov-19 22:29:43

I'm not liking any of them so far, watched 2 episodes. Too much drifting around aimlessly and only 1 seems to do any work and he hates it and seems more in to presenteeism and avoiding his family than working. Julia needs to get herself a job even if she doesn't need the money and be less aimless.

fanniboz Thu 14-Nov-19 00:14:09

I watched the first ep live on Tuesday night and then watched the rest on iPlayer tonight. I thought it was moving a little slow at first, but it makes up for it and picks up the pace by the end. Really enjoyed it. The kids are so annoying, couldn't find anything likeable about them. Julia is gorgeous and so well performed. Will probably tune in for it on telly as well just for Ben Barnes grin

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Thu 14-Nov-19 00:16:16

YES ,do not make me choose DID happen twice,most confusing as scenes were almost exactly the same confused

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 14-Nov-19 00:27:30

I'd actually kill for her hair!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »