Talk

Advanced search

The Accident - Channel 4

(294 Posts)
southeastdweller Thu 24-Oct-19 20:25:59

The latest Sarah Lancashire drama starts tonight, from the writer of Kirri and National Treasure. Anyone else planning to watch?

www.channel4.com/programmes/the-accident

Peanutbatter Tue 03-Dec-19 15:08:44

Ugh, just finished this, what rubbish! All a bit dis-jointed.
Didn't like any of the characters, Dad was about the most convincing. Boss woman was wooden.
Everyone tearing strips off each other then forgiving them in the next scene.
Cringey thrown in scenes of singing and storytelling and lest we forget the hand job.
Not much was making sense, Who was that man wondering about in the house, a lodger? If Dad had evidential e-mails then surely someone else will have them, did this not get investigated?
Thought there was going to be a big reveal flashback of the daughter blowing up the gas cannisters or seeing what the graffiti said, but no. What a fizzle.

Whitney168 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:29:40

Finally watched this and kind of wish I hadn't bothered. Does feel as if it could have been good if there had been more episodes, but just not enough in there to make you care.

What on earth was the drifter about, and why did they just accept him living in their house in the end? Would the husband have had that?

The DV scene was just completely random in the run of it? Were we meant to feel that her talking him in to confessing (so easily?) was revenge for that. The whole relationship just odd.

Bah, very unsatisfying.

Zog14 Tue 19-Nov-19 13:47:08

Well, that wasn’t great!

What happened to Leona’s dad?

I have been trying to make sense of that 2 years after the accident bit at the end.

This is what I came up with -

Some good has come out of the tragedy on a very small personal level for Leona’s family.

Leona and her mum have a much closer relationship, Leona choosing to spend time with her rather than going out with friends in the final scene.

Polly has got space from her abusive husband, who she didn’t have the strength to leave. I am guessing he is in jail but it wasn’t clear?

Life goes on in some sort of form, no matter the tragedy. Leaving scars of course.

Justice was seen to be done. Cost cutting to make profits can cost lives.

I know it’s different entirely, but it did make me think of the cladding used in Grenfell and wonder how a material so inflammable was ever deemed fit for the purpose of cladding residential property? Probably a whole different thread there.

I think there was a decent idea for a drama in there somewhere but the characters were so unlikeable it was hard to engage with them. Or maybe that was the point, tragedy can happen to anyone?

lemonjumper Fri 15-Nov-19 19:34:49

I was considering watching this on catch up and thought I'd peek at the last page of the thread to get an idea of how everyone felt about it .... From what I've read, I think I'll just not bother watching it!

NumbersStation Fri 15-Nov-19 16:21:49

And aye, I know the hitchhiker was there but why was he running if it was him? confused

NumbersStation Fri 15-Nov-19 16:19:49

All of the kids are shown running through the corridor at the end.

So who is the shadowy figure running in the opposite direction behind them?

Is there going to be a second series?

Like many dramas now, this felt rushed at the end. Despite the 2 years later stuff.

Not happy.

Sagradafamiliar Fri 15-Nov-19 14:59:44

Absolute unadulterated bollocks but I have to say I was enjoying seeing it through til the bitter end for the sheer smirk value.
Even the 'two year later' bit was shit. And I was sure that in Leona's flashback, it would show all the kids messing about with the gas canisters 😂 but no, nothing. Then it ended.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Nov-19 14:35:28

I stopped after 2

So how did it end. What happened

How did the fire start. Was it the girls smoking

Or the fault of the man who rescued sl daughter

Or reading posts rr building wasn’t built to standard and hence why explosion collapsed so much

MrsEricBana Fri 15-Nov-19 14:23:20

Yep, dreadful.

JaimeBronde Fri 15-Nov-19 09:31:31

Hmm I was a bit disappointed in the ending too. It seemed so rushed.
I want to know how the the steel got to be of an inferior quality if there wasn't any hard evidence from the steel company showing that Harriet had asked a lower quality steel mix to keep in budget? Surely it can't have been all done verbally & why wasn't Harriet's phone & laptop & the steel company's computer records searched?
Plus I wanted to know what sentence the Dad Iwan got. And what happened to Tim.
I didn't know that the actress who played Harriet is the Danish actress Sidse Babett Knudsen.

mummabubs Thu 14-Nov-19 22:05:37

Well that was disappointing as fuck. I rarely take the time to post on anything to do with telly but jesus thay was terrible!!! I'd been hanging on despite my doubts by episode 2 as I was hoping for a last minute shocker or at the very least that it would transpire that the teens didn't do anything to cause the explosion and it was the hitchhiker all along... But no, not even that.

Instead we had a terribly poorly researched example of a traumatic brain injury, a portrayal of domestic abuse that didn't feel remotely congruent and just all around terrible acting. Mia's mother was the closest I got to believing a portrayal and that's saying something! I live close to where this was set and filmed so was intrigued but I'm just left feeling like I've wasted 4 hours of my life hanging on for it to improve!

bohemia14 Thu 14-Nov-19 22:01:24

Utterly dreadful. One of the worst dramas I've ever seen on tv. It actually got worse episode by episode!

bohemia14 Thu 14-Nov-19 21:54:55

I've lost the will to live.

frillyfarmer Thu 14-Nov-19 21:50:11

I feel as though this episode is the worst so far. What exactly is the ending to all this? Pile of shite.

CoolCarrie Wed 13-Nov-19 15:00:21

Thank you Jamie !

pinksparkleunicorns Tue 12-Nov-19 22:10:29

Oh and then man says he loves woman before she chucks him out and punches inanimate objects.

pinksparkleunicorns Tue 12-Nov-19 22:09:08

Just watching the third episode. The handjob scene shock What the actual fuck.

Betrays man at work.

Gives man hand job against will.

Wipes post climax hand job hand over mans face.

Fires man from job.

Figgygal Mon 11-Nov-19 18:11:07

I've just deleted the third episode based on the feedback here
Better ways to waste 2 hours of my life

MrsGrindah Mon 11-Nov-19 17:29:29

I’m so annoyed with myself for continuing to watch it but I need something to distract me from ironing.Watch the hell was the hand job scene all about?! Totally unnecessary

bohemia14 Mon 11-Nov-19 11:08:43

I've just watched the third episode. It was truly abysmal. I didn't think it could get any worse but it did. Not a single likeable character and some terrible acting. I shall probably watch the last episode just to stick with it and see what happens. It can't get any worse, can it?

Acciocats Sun 10-Nov-19 14:23:07

I gave up after episode 2. Just dreadful. Any comparison with grenfell is just awful.... ok the broad concept of a building being constructed dangerously is a very general parallel but if the writers were intentionally trying to reflect that then they should have done a far better job. That’s a serious issue and worthy of so much more than this.

ageingdisgracefully Sun 10-Nov-19 10:40:57

Ignore that! Think I've just found out...

Maerdy is in the background in one of the earlier scenes, and I think it WAS Hannah Street, Porth, shown early on, too. smile

ageingdisgracefully Sun 10-Nov-19 10:37:53

Can anyone tell me where it's filmed please?

LillianGish Sun 10-Nov-19 08:19:50

Thanks to whoever recommended Guilt. Loving it - superior in every way.

mustangsly Sat 09-Nov-19 18:35:00

I actually thought it got quite good towards the end of this weeks' episode <takes cover>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »